Friday, April 12, 2024

A few finishes!

Hello! It's another Friday and we've survived another week. There is so much happening around the world and even here in the United States. I know that I can't do much about the bigger picture of the world. War, rumors of wars, hate, lies and more lies. But, and it's a BIG but, I can show love where I am. In a world where it seems people are getting ruder and, to use a grade school word, meaner, I want to be a light, shining God's love to everyone. He loves and cares for everyone on this earth. That's why He came to earth, to die an ugly death for us. So I want to do the small bit I can do while I'm here on this earth.

I finished another wheelchair blanket for the Memory Care unit in the building Mom lives in. This was just using scraps I had in my stash. I started with the blue/brown/cream variegated that I had and went from there. I ended up with the blanket you see below. I hope it will keep someone who may be confused as to where/who/how old they are, warm in their chair. This is the third one I've made in the last few weeks. I'll take them to the memory care next week.

The past two days I've worked on this beautiful pattern below.  Ir will be given to the local Crisis Pregnancy Center. It's also a free pattern on Ravelry called "Rainbow Ripple Baby Blanket" 12-pointed star. I do still need to wash it and it will smooth out a lot.

It was sure a lot of fun to crochet over the past two days. Do you see my toes peeking out at the top?

And finally, here is the latest mat that  I made that will be donated to the Open Door Mission. I go to our old apartment building every Tuesday afternoon and a group of about 10-12 of us work on these mats. They are sleeping mats for the homeless shelter. We make "plarn" or plastic yarn to crochet with. Since I'm the youngest, I'm chosen to stand and cut the strips from plastic bags. Then several of the women tie the strips together and roll into balls. This is the majority of the ladies, because only four of us can crochet. So far we have made 48 mats and this one will be 49. We're going to treat ourselves to a taco lunch after the 50th mat. They are supposed to be 4 foot x 6 foot with a carrying handle. 

Dennis spent Tuesday and Wednesday at the Open Door Mission volunteering in both the donation drop off center and the grocery distribution store. I'm amazed at the stories he comes home with of the generous donations of food from various restaurants and grocery stores. One day, Little Caesars Pizza donated over 100 pizzas to be given out. Fruit, veggies and fresh bread are donated by grocery stores. Most people are GOOD and generous at heart, but we don't hear much about it. Most of what we hear is bad. I wish I could start a news network of the loving acts and good things. I would watch that news with joy in my heart!
I need to go get myself ready because we're meeting my brother and sister-in-law for lunch at a little local cafe just across the Missouri River in Iowa. It's only about 20 minutes from home and we're looking forward to it. It's been quite some time since we've been able to have a relaxed visit together.

Here is the coffee cake recipe that some of you wanted. I hope you like it as much as we do. :-)

Overnight Coffee Cake
3/4 c. butter or margarine            2 c. flour                    1 c. white sugar        1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed          1/2 tsp. cinnamon     2 beaten eggs            1 tsp nutmeg
1 c. sour cream

Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in sour cream. Spread into a 9 x13 baking dish.

Topping
1 c.  chopped nuts (I use walnuts)            3/4 c. brown sugar        2 tsp. cinnamon
(I upped the cinnamon from 1 tsp and the brown sugar from 1/2 c. because we like it with more topping. This measurement is entirely up to you.)
 
Sprinkle topping over the batter. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center is clean. Enjoy!             

I hope you have a wonderful Friday, full of God's blessings that show His love for you. I'll be back again soon. Love to you all

Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

12 comments:

  1. You're continuing to get so many good items made to donate to various places. I'm sure you are enjoying the making and donating of these beautiful items and I'm sure the folks you donate to, are so happy when they see you coming! You do beautiful work. I agree that there are so many good people in this world and we don't hear about all the good they are doing every day. I pray that the good people will keep on shining their light to give hope to all others. Thank you for all you and Dennis do.
    God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such nice projects! You are an happy inspiration! I rarely watch the news... I have enough going on that requires my attention:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubts about the love and light you spread wherever you go. The lovely blankets and your other creations must be so appreciated by the recipients.
    Have a lovely weekend πŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I can't change the world but I can make sure I am doing what I can with all those I meet to make their world better! I love the blankets; the mat is amazing bc I know it isn't easy to crochet with the plastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your projects are beautiful! I'm going to make the coffee cake but I will omit the nuts since I'm not a huge fan. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks dearest Betsy for showing and sharing the love.. the wars and rumours of wars and turning against God's people the way the world does these days shows Jesus is coming soon.... "in like manner as you've seen Him go.." Acts 1.
    Amen even so COME LORD Jesus. Praying for you all glad to see how lovingly you share everything. Wouldn't I love that cake but it's full of things I can't eat these days. Still am grateful do so much. We are so blessed,
    Giant prayer hugs from Downunder,
    Shaz in Oz.x πŸ’™πŸ™πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful blankets! I am so impressed that you are making those mats for the homeless. Charity seems to be a dirty word anymore. I am always impressed when I see how people here shower our one homeless dude here on the boardwalk with food and money. My heart was broken when we lost the 7 WCK workers last week. I give them money monthly so I took it very personally. How terrible that even aid workers aren't safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blankets are just lovely. The recipients will feel so special! Your yarn ministry is just such a blessing to so many people. A special friend of mine told me she is trying to shine the light of Jesus so people can see Jesus in her heart. I think you and Dennis are the same. The light of giving shines from your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake recipe looks good. The blankets and mat are lovely, so lucky recipients! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, my friend! Thank you for the recipe! It sounds like something we will enjoy. The lovely treasures you create and donate are blessings to others. I know my own mother finds comfort in the things others share with love. And like you, I refuse to allow the ugliness of the world to dampen my little space. It is there, I know, but I control how much I let in. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a blessing to so many people, dear Betsy! Your heart is so big and full of love - amazing all the projects you are doing to bless others! I hope the storms are done for a while, it certainly has been a crazy season for the tornados lately! Your blankets are just beautiful, and what a blessing they will be to those who are blessed to receive! I wish there could be more positive news too - wouldn't that be marvelous to be encouraged rather than despondent! The coffee cake sounds wonderful, and I like that it can be made the night before. i wonder if I swapped out the flour for sourdough starter, I must give it a try - since we are mostly grain free now, but I still can have sourdough now and then. Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete