Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Try, Try Again

Do you know the old, saying, “if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” Well, we’re going to try taking our trip again. Dennis isn’t scheduled to go back to work until the 17th, so we’re going to leave tomorrow for a couple of weeks. We’re not taking the truck and trailer, instead, we’re taking the car and staying at hotels until we get to Spokane. There we will stay with friends. On the way home we get to stop and see Jamie and our grandkids in Montana. Miss Kyleigh just graduated from high school and was valedictorian. She’s off to college this fall so we definitely want to see her before she’s off to new adventures. Caleb will be a junior and is busy working but also fly fishing, mountain biking  and any other sports he can think up to do in the mountains of the west.

Yesterday we went for Dennis’s post-op visit where they removed the surgical bandages and made his custom cast for him. He still isn’t supposed to lift anything heavier than a TV remote or a cell phone, so we didn’t think camping for our trip would be such a good idea.

I debated showing the photos of his unwrapped thumb, but as you all reminded me in my last post, you’ve seen worse as moms and grandmas! So here you go.

We certainly did not expect to see this when they took the bandages off. The pins and the balls on the end of the pins are a lot bigger than we had imagined them when they describe them to us before surgery.

His hand is still pretty bruised and swollen over a week and a half later but he says it doesn’t hurt at all.

The process of making the custom cast was quite interesting. It was a large sheet of plastic that they cut the general shape out of and then put it in a tub of very hot water. They then wrapped it around his arm and formed it to his wrist and thumb. They made little “bubbles” where the pins come out so the cast won’t rub on them. The lady who made it said it’s like an arts and crafts class with every new patient that comes in!

Ta-dah! All done.

This was his bracelet when he went in for surgery. We thought it was hilarious, that he had a fall risk bracelet. Just because he stepped backwards off of his truck.🙄 I am so much more clumsy than him, and I would definitely be a fall risk.😂

On Saturday, my sister, niece, and nephew, and Mandy, Brad and Piper all came over for lunch. Afterwords Piper and Lizzie stayed with us while Mandy and Brad went home to do yardwork. We had a great time playing dominoes together. She’s a smart cookie. She beat me very easily. Can you tell what a cuddler Lizzie is?

I really like the sentiment behind this picture.

We’re leaving our little Zoey behind at Mandy‘s and Brad‘s house. We know she’ll have a great time with Lizzie and Piper while we’re gone and it will be much easier to find hotels without having a dog along. However, the thought of leaving her isn’t easy for either of us. She is definitely our baby.

I’ll be taking my computer along and hopefully will be able to catch up with blog’s at some point along the way. The plan is to leave around 8:30 tomorrow morning and we’re hoping to stop in DeSmet, SD at the Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead. It’s somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit but we’re always in a hurry when we go by. I’m hoping it’s not as hot as it is here today. It’s 94F now, with a heat index of 99F. Way too hot for me.

Take care my dear friends and I’ll post agin when I can.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

21 comments:

  1. That is the most interesting cast craft I've ever seen. Arts and crafts. Hmmm. 🤔 Haha, well, anyway.... Here, once the doctors learn you have fallen, you're always tagged as a fall risk. So, Jerry, of course always has a fall risk bracelet slapped on his arm. I've fallen, but they don't know about it. I got on my bike, put my foot on a pedal and immediately went down the other way. Doh! 🤣 🤣 At least it was in grass. It was decades ago when I was in my twenties, so... // Have you ever played "Train" with dominoes? I learned it at a church get-together years ago. It's been a long time since Jerry and I tried to play, I'd have to look up the instructions online again. But it's a fun diversion from regular dominoes. // Visiting DeSmet, SD is a huge dream of mine. One I know I'll never be able to do, but that is the one place I'd like to go, especially when they have their Laura Ingalls Wilder pageant every July! That would be so fun! Enjoy your time there! // Sending you lotsa love and hugs and blessings as you go on your trip to Spokane! Please please PLEASE be careful! Safe travels to you and Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time in Spokane; it looks like you'll be having nice weather. So glad your DH is on the mend! Safe and happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said prayers of healing for your hubby's hand, that is quite a complicated cast and treatment. Have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a safe trip! Hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying that all goes well for you two on your trip. Sounds like a good plan, all things considered. That's a pretty nifty cast Dennis has. Hope he doesn't overdo things. Do relax and enjoy your time away. God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have a good trip tomorrow and Dennis will continue to heal from the fall that messed up his arm. Pray for my nephew Ryan as he fell when he fainted the other night at a hospital. He was there with his girlfriend and her son. Way too much to write but prayers appreciated 🙏 .praying for you and Dennis on your trip. --Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pins must make moving around so awkward for Dennis. That is certainly not what I expected either. I thought it would all be "inside".

    Hope you have a wonderful trip. Stay safe and have fun.

    We were supposed to go down to Washington to see Stephen last weekend, but he decided he will come up here instead this weekend. I sure don't mind missing out on the drive, but I sort of miss going to some needlework shops down there. He has some good ones (not that I NEED anything).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. It's fascinating what medical science can do, isn't it!!!
    I'm glad you're able to get back to your trip, even if it isn't quite the way you first planned it. Have a wonderful (safe!!!!) time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW PARECE QUE HACE DEMASIADO CALOR BETSY, ESAS SON NUESTRAS TEMPERATURAS AQUI EN BUENOS AIRES DURANTE EL VERANO Y TAMBIEN LLEGAN HASTA 40C, UNA LOCURA. QUE TENGAS UNAS HERMOSAS VACACIONES Y CUIDENSE LOS 2 POR FAVOR. BENDICIONES Y ABRAZOS A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 mins ago

      WOW IT SEEMS THAT IT'S TOO HOT BETSY, THOSE ARE OUR TEMPERATURES HERE IN BUENOS AIRES DURING THE SUMMER AND THEY ALSO REACH UP TO 40C, CRAZY. HAVE A NICE VACATION AND TAKE CARE OF BOTH OF YOU, PLEASE. BLESSINGS AND HUGS FROM A DISTANCE.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad Dennis isn't in pain. Have a safe trip and I knew when you mentioned DeSmet it sounded familiar. I've never been there but I've read all the Little House books. Enjoy your trip and so glad you are able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you are able to have a nice relaxing trip and that Dennis' wrist/hand won't trouble him too much. I'm sorry you can't take your doggy, but you are probably right in that it is often difficult to find motels that accept pets (or with a very high fee), and with your hubby's hand like it is it's probably best to not have anything extra to deal with like leashes, etc. I'm sure she'll be happy with your granddaughter and you won't have to worry about her at all. Have a safe and pleasant trip. Write when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When we drove through DeSmet years ago the Ingalls house wasn't open. We were sure disappointed. I hope you find it open. Have a safe trip. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting process making that cast was! Have a safe trip and enjoy visiting with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a wonderful trip, my friend. Loved catching up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The trip will be good for you (except for leaving Zoey!) but take care and enjoy the slow going! Prayers will follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. By now you should be on your way. Travel safely and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be praying for a safe journey. I was happy to read that he's feeling no pain, because it looks terribly painful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my golly! I've never seen anything like it! Wowza. That 's just crazy. The Mister was also considered a fall risk because he had told them that he had tripped a while back carrying the miter saw when we were doing the floor. They take falling with old folks very seriously apparently. Safe travels!!!

    ReplyDelete