Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Shawl Week

Hello again! Well, it wasn't quite as long this time as it was for the last post. It's still been a busy week but I've figured out how to post the photos to blogger on my iPad and then type the actual words on my laptop which makes things a bit faster. 

Our precious Baby J celebrated her first birthday this week. Oh my goodness, what a celebration! They face-timed so we could be a part of the party. I have photos of her kissing my face on Alex's phone. She loves me and remembers me! That means SO much when we live so far away.

Yesterday was a long day with doctors appointments for Mom most of the day. We now have a referral to a neurologist for her as the memory tests didn't go well. We've noticed a memory issue for quite some time, but Mom was able to pass the memory tests until now. I detest the fact that she's losing her memory, but so far it's just short term and has no problem knowing people, etc. It's just recent events, appointments and the like that she doesn't remember. I spent some time on the phone this morning making several appointments for the future for her. Meanwhile, the doctor is putting her on a new medication that could help slow down the memory loss.

On Monday I was home while Dennis worked all day. Believe it or not, I crocheted this entire shawl in that one day while I watched two movies I had wanted to see. I used three skeins of Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn." I bought it in the clearance sale for $1.24/skein. So I was able to make this shawl for the hospital for only $3.72! I think that's a pretty good deal. I basically made the pattern up using a basic shawl set up stitch. This yarn is so soft and squishy and I think whoever recieves it will appreciate it.

I also made this shawl this week. The details of the yarn are in my last post.  It's also nice and soft. Squishy too, but the yarn isn't as thick as the above shawl, so not quite as squishy.:-)

Today we made this sweet little tealight candle in our crafts group. We could choose the size canning jar we wanted. Then we brushed mod podge onto the the jar and placed dried flowers on the jar. Then we mod podged the entire jar over top of the flowers.

Partway around the jar.

And the rest of the way showing the twine bow.

I also put a flower on the top of the lid. It was a fun craft. They had 24 different packets of dried of flowers and greenery to choose from. Inside is a small tea light with a battery. When it lights up inside it's really pretty.

I forgot to show you the bunny I made last Wednesday. Is't it cute? I'll give it to Mom to put on her door for Easter and springtime.  For this one we had a wooden shape of a bunny and lots of fabrics to choose from.  You lay a square of fabric over the form with mod podge covering the shape. After it dries a bit, you just trim the fabric close to the wood. I added a "collar" and a pom-pom tail. Another super simple craft. I enjoy helping the older ladies who have arthritis in their hands and find some things, especially using scissors harder to do. One lady is 99 and shows up at every single activity. She has a few mobility issues but is the sweetest lady and loves everyone. She still lives alone in her apartment.

Not a lot else going on. In the evenings we've been busy planning our trip west this summer. We're staying at few KOA's and also in the Black Hills again at Fort Welikit where we stayed last year. We'll be house-sitting for friends in Spokane while there. We will stay in our camper and take care of their dog Izzy. She and Zoey are great friends. We're planning to be gone 3-4 weeks if all goes well, during he last week of June and into July. In September we'll be heading back to London for a big party. During the week following Memorial Day my sister Melanie, niece Chaela and hopefully Mandy and I will take a girls trip to Pioneer Woman's shops in Pawhuska, OK. Then on the way home, we'll stop in Westin, MO. I've been told there are some great antique and specialty shops there. Lots of fun things to look forward too.

I hope you all have a wonderful few days. We're supposed to get up to 71F tomorrow. Thats the warmest we've had so far this spring. I'm looking forward to that. Maybe winter has taken it's last gasp here after the snow dump we had on Sunday. We can only hope. :-)

Blessings and hugs,
Betsy


16 comments:

  1. That little jar is so sweet! I love the idea of a tea light in it. It would make a lovely spring nightlight. You could make one like that for every season. As usual, your crochet skills amaze me. I can barely get one small Audun square done. It takes me two sittings....lol. Sorry to hear about your MIL's memory loss. I spend too much time these days trying to remember what I just forgot. It's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shawl!!! I'm glad you are there for your Mom-in-law! The tea-light candle holder is so sweet! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see you back, Betsy. That bunny you made in craft class is just darling. Mom should love it! That tealight candle is really sweet too. What fun things you are making in that class. And I love that colorful shawl. I still remember how much I love your door decorations from your last post. You always do such a great job of decorating. I'm sorry to hear about "Mom" and her memory problems. Hopefully the new medicine will slow all of that down. Both my dad and my mom developed memory problems in their later years. Sounds like you have a lot of fun things planned for the upcoming months. Good for you. I look forward to hearing about all of them. Take care Betsy and Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a full and busy life you have. There's so much to do in the way of crafts and get-togethers at your new place. Then there's the lovely plans for the summer!!
    I'm sorry your Mom is having memory problems. I hope medication can help. Take good care of yourself. GM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shawls! That is a great deal on yarn too. Love the little jar too. I used to dry my own flowers. Violets would be pretty. Sounds like you have lots of fun travel plans. We are so busy with home renovations, we hope to get a few trips in this year. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Such a nice visit with you here this morning! Your shawl is beautiful, and I love that you watched movies while working on it. I am sorry to hear about your mother. My mother is in the same situation. Her short term memory is gone, but she does know me and my family and she is happy and content. That makes me happy. Sometimes I am her daughter, sometimes her mother, other-times her friend. I take them all with so much love! Your trips sound wonderful and I am certain you will make many memories! Happy Birthday to that little one! Have a cozy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the crafts at your new home are just terrific! I am showing your crochet projects to my 13 year old granddaughter who is visiting for Spring Break. She is teaching herself to crochet with Youtube. The birthday party sounds like so much fun. How can that sweet baby be a year old already! We are dealing with a very ill mother in law and praying she remains comfortable. She was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer at age 90 and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 in three organs at age 93.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those shawls are beautiful! As is the tealight holder. and I love buns puffy tail! So cute!
    I hope the doctors can find a medication that helps your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute craft projects! Your shawls are very pretty, I never seem to be at Hobby Lobby on the right day for big sales on yarn. Happy Birthday to baby J how wonderful that you could be virtually there:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great to have an active craft group and make fun projects! The shawls will be perfect for taking the chill off of an overactive A/C this summer. Your future trips sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TODO ES TAN LINDO BETSY, ME QUEDO CON EL CHAL TRIANGULO ES BELLISIMO, AMO TUS MANUALIDADES, TIENES UNA HABILIDAD INCREIBLE HERMANA, PARECE QUE TENDRAS UNOS MESES MUY AJETREADOS JAJAJA, APROVECHA MIENTRAS PUEDAS. BENDICIONES Y CUIDATE MUCHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERYTHING IS SO CUTE BETSY, I'LL TAKE THE TRIANGLE SHAWL IT'S BEAUTIFUL, I LOVE YOUR CRAFTS, YOU HAVE AN INCREDIBLE ABILITY SISTER, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WILL HAVE A VERY BUSY FEW MONTHS HAHAHA, TAKE ADVANTAGE WHILE YOU CAN. BLESSINGS AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

      Delete
  12. You got a great deal on the yarn and have already made some really lovely, useful projects that will certainly be appreciated. Sorry to hear about your MIL -- sure hope the medicine can help her. Sounds like you've got some great travel to look forward to. Love your little jar -- happy crafting and crocheting. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shawls are so nice Betsy - they will be much appreciated, I'm sure. Nice to hear your future plans! You've got lots to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Betsy. I'm so far behind too, visiting and reading blog posts. Thank you for the sweet comment. I'm so sorry to hear about little Zoey being sick. Goodness, 4 antiobiotics means she must have been very sick. I sure hope she is doing better now. Ellie went back to the vet yesterday for more bloodwork and is doing better. Getting the correct dose of prednizone and the other steroid are most important right now. I can't imagine making two shawls in a year and you made two in a day. You are amazing!! So sorry to hear about your MIL's memory loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for showing your mod podged little tea light jar. It is so cute and I had to look up a YouTube video showing how to create the same thing. I've just ordered the dry pressed flowers so that I can make the same and maybe decorate a plain glass flower vase along with a tea light jar.

    ReplyDelete