Friday, March 3, 2023

One down, two to go!

Happy Friday my friends! We’ve made it through another week. We have beautiful blue skies again today and warm temperatures in the 50s are predicted. Next week it will be much colder and a rain/snow mix is forecast. We need to enjoy this beautiful weather while we can.

I am feeling much better. After the telehealth appointment last week and getting antibiotics, I quickly began to feel better. My voice still isn’t back to normal and I have a cough during the night, but I’m thinking that might hang on for a while. I’m just glad to have some energy back and able to get out and about.

I’ve been busy in my spare time this week starting Christmas stockings for Alex, our daughter-in-love “T”, and Baby J.  They saw Brad, Mandy and Pipers socks I that made for them years ago but hadn’t realized that I had made them. They don’t have stockings at this time, so when I offered to make some for their family they were very happy. I finished the first stocking last night. It didn’t take very long, only a few days, but it’s my first color-work project l and it also uses charts. These are both things that I have never done before, so please don’t look too closely. I also haven’t blocked the stocking yet, so there are some wrinkles. When I have all three stockings completed I will duplicate stitch their names on the top in white. I thought I better start early in the year in case of disasters and the fact that it might take me all year to knit three stockings. 😍 I couldn’t stop the top edge from rolling under, so I crocheted around the top, first with single crochet and then a row of half double crochet. I thought that worked well.

After I finished the stocking last night, I started this dish cloth in the lemon peel stitch. I’m using an H hook and I started out with 27 chains.
We have not been happy with the freezer in the kitchen since we moved in. It only left me about one and a half feet to get into the pantry and then we couldn’t see what was inside. Several people here at the apartments have told us they have their freezers in the closet of the second bedroom. So that’s what we did. We moved the freezer into the yarn room closet…

Then we moved the shelving unit out of the main bathroom into the space where the freezer was…

and moved this dresser out of the closet in the yarn room and into the space in the main bathroom where the shelving unit was! This is working out much better. Eventually I’ll go through the drawers in the shelving unit and it will actually make more storage for the kitchen. I also have a “bon appétit” sign in storage that we will hang above the shelving unit.

I also need to go through the drawers in this dresser and clear out a lot of craft supplies I no longer use. This was Dennis‘s dresser when he was a baby. Each of our three children used it when they were babies and it’s been my craft dresser for years. Dennis refinished it many years ago and I absolutely love this dresser.

My orchid is blooming profusely with six blossoms on it. It’s the first time I’ve ever been able to get an orchid to rebloom.

Apparently the light here in the apartment is very good for plants, because they are all doing well right now.

I have always wanted a pot of ivy and this one hasn’t disappointed me. If you remember when I got it, it was being thrown out at Walmart about a year and a half ago because it was virtually dead. They gave it to me for free and look at it now!

Lizzie ended up staying with us for almost a week and a half while their floors were being done in the house. This is what both of the girls looked like every evening after playing hard all day. Lizzie was on Papa‘s lap and Zoey was crashed out on my lap.

She went home the night before last and it sure is quiet around here now. Zoey is really missing her. I have never seen two dogs love each other as much as they do. They even seem to have their own language that they talk to each other in. One of them will say something and then the other one answers. It’s just too cute.

I can’t begin to tell you how content I am here in our little apartment. There are fun things to do all of the time and yet you can go into your own place and hibernate if that’s what you want to do. It’s a very, very active building. There are people jogging on the trail around us and taking their dogs for walks constantly. There’s always something going on. At 1:00 and 6:30 today they’re showing a Kenny Rogers concert in the theater. A Zumba class is going on downstairs right now.

One lady who lives on the floor below us has her long arm quilting machine in their living room. They had to take the window out to get the machine into the apartment! She hangs quilts in the hallway outside of their door and changes them out every few weeks.

I hope you are all having a wonderful week. Do you have big plans for the weekend? We don’t have anything in particular going on besides church activities. Next week we’re having friends over for dinner. Please stay well and healthy everyone.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

20 comments:

  1. The stocking looks amazing!

    Your plants are all looking great. I have buds on two of my orchids, but they are taking forever to actually bloom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear that you are feeling so much better! I am impressed with your Orchids, I have never tried one:) Your stocking is perfect, perhaps a fabric lining will help the top! Those pups are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. QUERIDA BETSY: QUE HERMOSOS CALCETINES TAN COLORIDOS, SE QUE A TU HIJO Y NUERA LE GUSTARAN MUCHO, SERAN UN TESORO PARA ELLOS. QUE SUERTE QUE TIENES UN CLIMA FRIO, AQUI ESTAMOS CASI A LA PUERTA DEL INFIERNO LITERALMENTE, ESTAMOS SOPORTANDO TEMPERATURAS DE HASTA 44 CENTIGRADOS, QUE SERIA UNOS 111,2 F, ¿TE PARECE MUCHO CALOR?, PUES SI, ESTAMOS EN EL HORNO, SE CORTA LA LUZ Y EL AGUA, ES IMPOSIBLE DORMIR DE NOCHE, CON MI ESPOSO ESTAMOS AGOBIADOS PERO TENEMOS QUE ESTAR FUERTE PARA NUESTROS 3 HIJOS DISCAPCITADOS, TE PIDO TUS FIELES ORACIONES A NUESTRO FAVOR. BENDICIONES DULCE HERMANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEAR BETSY: WHAT BEAUTIFUL COLORFUL SOCKS, I KNOW YOUR SON AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW WILL LOVE THEM, THEY WILL BE A TREASURE FOR THEM. HOW FORTUNATE THAT YOU HAVE A COLD CLIMATE, HERE WE ARE ALMOST AT THE DOOR OF HELL LITERALLY, WE ARE ENDURING TEMPERATURES UP TO 44 CENTIGRADE, WHICH WOULD BE ABOUT 111.2 F, DOES IT SEEM TOO HOT, WELL YES, WE ARE IN THE OVEN, THE ELECTRICITY AND WATER IS CUT, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SLEEP AT NIGHT, WITH MY HUSBAND WE ARE OVERWHELMED BUT WE HAVE TO BE STRONG FOR OUR 3 DISABLED CHILDREN, I ASK FOR YOUR FAITHFUL PRAYERS ON OUR BEHALF. BLESSINGS SWEET SISTER.

      Delete
  4. Zoey sure does look comfy and cozy in her blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear that you still have a cough, sometimes they do seem to hang on and on. I love the photo of your puppy all cuddled up sleeping between the blankets, what a little sweetie pie. The first thing that I thought about with you moving the freezer farther away from the kitchen was that then it will give you more time to think about whether you really need that dish of nighttime ice cream, LOL. That's what I do with snack food. Yesterday a friend brought homemade cookies to our quilt group and when she left I said, "Judy, take your cookies", but no she left them with me . . . and I'm trying to loose weight. They looked so good, but I marched them out to Steve's shop where our freezer is. It would take a lot for me to go out there after dark to get a snack, but if it's in the kitchen freezer . . . well, it only takes a second to use the microwave and have warm cookies. I'm pathetic when it comes to sweets.
    I think it is wonderful when I see plants growing in the house. I do not do house plants, unless they are silk. I either water them too much or not enough. I feel blessed that I can even start my garden seeds in the house and keep them alive until planting. For me that is pushing the inside planting to the limit. Outside my thumb is green, inside it is a crispy dried up mess.
    Have a wonderful weekend. Praying that your cough gets better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you're finally feeling better. That's just great to hear.
    I like the stocking that you've completed. So that's what the One down, Two to go is about. I wondered.
    I've heard that getting Orchids to rebloom can be a problem but obviously you have the right touch. Yours is a lovely colour too. Have a pleasant weekend. Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are finally feeling better. The stocking is beautiful! You do such nice work. The dogs are so cute... Zoey must really miss Lizzy after spending all that time together. So glad you are enjoying your apartment... sounds like a really nice place to be. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Extremely hard week here for everyone in the family, one thing and then another. Just hangin' on by God's grace. I like those red socks, really cute. I see those Oreos in that jar lol. Jerry and I miss Oreos... diets due to medical problems knocked those off the grocery list many years ago along with a hundred other things. Ah, well, not a necessary item anyway. Sending you lotsa love, my friend. Prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you are FINALLY feeling better! Hoping this medicine just zaps that bug out completely! I love the switcheroo. The freezer did look tight in the kitchen and I am glad your neighbors all shared suggestions. I almost laughed when I read the merry go round of furniture. This past week I relocated my "pandemic pantry" to my spare bedroom. We remodeled and created a room to move my washer and dryer into for a new utility room. It got to drywall and became a temporary storage and when I finally got that stuff taken care of, - the pandemic and I filled the space with shelves and staples. I am a little calmer now and I am going to downsize the food stash, but the real trick is that my husband can get access to the back wall so he can replace our tub/shower with a walk-in, then finish the utility room, then move the washer and dryer, THEN move the pantry back into the utility. I thought I was odd, but now I know the "in crowd" are all storing food in their bedrooms, LOL.
    The stockings are going to be adorable! I understand your early start, but you are moving right along. Love the colors in your dish cloth, too.
    You certainly found your home in your new apartment. It was made just for you! What a fun group and all those activities. I know it was a whirlwind of moves and different housing, but you ended up just where you were meant to be! God Bless! Stay well Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear you're feeling better, Betsy. I was praying for that! Oh I really like that Christmas stocking that you're almost done with. So pretty. Gosh, your orchid and your ivy are both looking splendid. You must have a green thumb! Love your pics of the two pooches too! Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one beautiful stocking! I get the stocking making bug every once in a while but am happy to say I recover before I go down that rabbit hole. I do admire them from afar though. I'm glad to hear you are over your nasty bug and on the way to recovery. I don't think I know anyone ( maybe Cindy) that is so productive when they are sick...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite Bible verses, Betsy. As always, your knitting skills amaze me. I'm so glad you're feeling better, and that you are enjoying your life in your newer surroundings. Ivy's are really quite hardy. I've overwatered mine twice, and although it got pretty sickly both times, it has managed to come back and is doing very well now. I've learned my lesson. . .let it dry out between waterings. Cute pups. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you are feeling better! It's a slow recuperation, unfortunately. The projects are pretty and the rearranging will get sorted out for you--I'm so glad you are happy in your new apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see a post from you in my blog reader. The stocking is beautiful - nice job on the colorwork! I’m glad you love the apartment complex. It sounds like you’ve met some nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It certainly sounds like you found the perfect place to live with so much going on, so many activities to choose from, places to walk and lots of creativity. Sorry to hear you've not been well. Hope the cough clears up soon. You did a nice job on the stocking -- I'm sure you'll have the other two finished in no time. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad you figured out where to put your freezer and more space in kitchen. Adorable dogs and your socks look nice! I will continue to pray for healing from the virus you have. Our son and family are getting over a virus that they've had since mid Feb. I am trying to figure out how much merino wool I have for a sweater. I have some but not enough. I will wait til I am actually going to knit it then get the wool online, most likely unless there is some locally. Weather is getting a bit warmer this week thankfully. Spring is around the corner!!! God bless and virtual hugs, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on the stocking Betsy! I'm sure Alex and his family will love having them. Your plants look wonderful (that orchid!!) and it sure is nice to hear how much you like your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your plants are so pretty, they must like where you have them. Sometimes we have to make a change, putting the freezer in the closet is a great idea. Glad it's working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So in love with your magnets. Great job.
    many blessings,
    joan

    ReplyDelete