Thursday, April 15, 2021

New Project

Happy Thursday evening everyone. On Tuesday I had an appointment to meet my new primary care doctor. We have to get set up with doctors quickly so our prescriptions don’t have any lapses. He is a very nice man who seems young enough to be my son. It’s crazy and I’m not sure when that age switch happened! I used to always be younger than my doctors. Ha! After my appointment, I picked Piper up after school and we went yarn shopping. So fun!  She has been wanting me to make her a teal blanket and I promised her that I would take her to pick out yarn when I got to Omaha. Here is the start of her blanket. I have it folded over on itself as it’s big enough for a full size bed. I’m just using a simple crochet shell stitch and a size J hook.  It was just started it this afternoon so there’s not much to show yet.

I found this picture on a face book group that I’m in. I’m not sure who made it, but I saved the photo because I love the looks of this baby blanket. It looks so delicate and sweet. I think it will be one of my first projects after I complete Piper‘s blanket.  The yarn almost looks like cotton in the photo, but I think I would probably use baby yarn to make it.
This desk came with the house and although it is a very nice desk, it won’t work for what Dennis needs. He has two 21 inch monitors, along with a lot of manuals and other paraphernalia that he needs for his job. They will never fit on this desk. I briefly thought of moving it down to my craft area, but there’s not room for it there either. I’m going to try to get it moved down to the garage in the next day or two if I can find some help as it is very, very heavy. Then I will try listing it on Facebook.

Meanwhile, this is the set up I have ordered for Dennis off of Amazon. Not very expensive or fancy, but hopefully it will give him the room that he needs for working.

What do you think? Will I be able to put all this together and have it ready for him when he arrives in a couple of weeks? I’m going to do my best!

The plumbers were out yesterday and put in the shut off valve for the gas dryer, so the installers are supposed to be back tomorrow early afternoon to install both the new washer and dryer and haul away the old ones. I’m ridiculously excited to once again have a working washer and dryer.

The contractor is also coming out tomorrow afternoon to give me an estimate or at least get the information in order to give me an estimate on making some changes in the main bathroom. Instead of a whole new tub, I’m hoping he can just do that electrostatic painting thing to the green tub that’s there, as well as putting in a shower. The two sinks have a lot of rust on them that I have not been able to remove, so I’m hoping he can just put a new countertop with two new sinks on the existing cabinet. We are also going to replace both toilets. I will see what he would charge for it as opposed to Dennis having to do it in the short time he’s here in May.

Mom had some major issues with her eyes while she was in the hospital. We aren’t really sure how it had to do with the vaccination or the infection she had, but the hospital seemed to think it was related.  I took her to the eye doctor today for a check. She is blind in one eye from a stroke that she had years ago, so it’s very important that her remaining eye is kept as healthy as possible. She loves to read and it would be terrible for her if she lost her eyesight in that eye. It was a pleasant surprise to find that it is looking very healthy all things considered. She goes back in two months for another check.

I have truly enjoyed the time I’ve been able to spend with her since I arrived in Omaha. She is much more forgetful than she used to be, but then again, so am I!

I went to the Wednesday evening Bible study at church last night with my sister and I really enjoyed it. Meeting new people and renewing old friendships is wonderful. 

Dennis has been busy packing up boxes in the RV and taking things to our storage unit so we can list the RV for sale. We have decided that we really don’t want to pull anything quite that big even if we are able to travel in the near future. We don’t want to just put it in storage and have it sit there unused, so we’ve decided to sell it for now and if we are able to travel we will try to find something else a bit smaller since we won’t be living in it.

I hope that you have all had a good week and are remaining healthy. Thank you so much for being patient with me as I’ve been very sporadic in commenting on your blogs for the last couple of weeks. I have been trying to do better the past few days and I very much missed visiting with you all. We have Internet installed and I think we’re good to go now. 

Blessings and hugs, 
Betsy







21 comments:

  1. Such a pretty color for Pipers blanket!
    You have been busy, that looks like a good set up you ordered for Dennis. I hope you can find help to move the other one!
    You see to be settling in! Good that you found a Bible Study group!
    I know you will be thrilled to wash clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lost loong comment so this is abbreviated, dear Betsy, sorry!
    Magnificent blanket for Piper, will grow and you'll both love it. Agreed that other design is lovely.
    Praying study done perfectly for Dennis and other desk finds new home.
    Rejoicing with you re mum's eyes. God is so kind.
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  3. That old desk brings back memories! I had one like it for years and it was heavy too. Good luck putting the new one together. It looks like something that can be done. I've put together many an Ikea desk all by myself and it was really just a matter of screwing in legs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful new pattern for Piper's afghan; the texture is gorgeous! The little baby blanket is very sweet--nice pattern idea for your near future! So glad you were able to go to church and take part in a group again---so good for you on every level!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has a desk similar to the one the previous owners left for you. My husband removed the top part and kept the desk as he too uses two large computer monitors. He liked having the extra storage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piper has excellent taste - that blanket is going to be beautiful!
    I have lots of faith that you can get Dennis' office set up no problem! Around here, I'm usually the one to build all that stuff - I just make Dave go over it and make sure all the screws and nuts are tight! Lol. I'm main construction, he's final inspection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you and Piper could get out for a little yarn shopping. She picked a very pretty color for her new blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the color and the pattern for Piper's blanket. Plus, it is amazing the things we can put together when we want/need to. I have all the faith that you can handle putting Dennis's office together. If not you have some handy people close by.
    I am amazed at how "on top" of things you are.
    I know that Piper is as happy to have her Grandma there as you are to be close to her.
    You take care, God's blessings
    and HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are certainly a busy lady! I love Piper's color choice for her blanket. That is my daughter's favorite color too. I'm sure Dennis will be so grateful to have his office all set up when he comes in May. You are making great progress with the house. We have very hard water and I use Iron Out powder to remove rust stains. For the sinks and tub I wet the spot and make a paste out of the powder and a bit of water. I coat the stain and let it sit for 20-30 minutes and it wipes right away. I'm glad your mother in law's eye is okay and that she is doing well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty, I always read your blog. I just loved that you picked Piper up from school and went yarn shopping together. How wonderful that you can do that now. Good luck with the desk. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. you're a whirlwind getting things organized and new improvements made, bravo! I think it's so neat you get to pick up Piper and keep her each day, it must be so wonderful for your daughter to have your help. Isn't it neat to be able to have Piper pick out her own yarn now? Nice start to the blanket. I'm sure it won't take you long as fast as you crochet. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, you are so busy! Love the teal blanket- it will be gorgeous. I am sure you will be glad to get the washer and dryer hooked up. It is a nice desk, but not what you needed. I think Dennis will like the new set up.

    When I broke my arm I was randomly assigned an orthopedist in the trauma room. He looked like a high school student. Turned out he is a super doctor. In the days between my break and surgery - I had more messages to try to go to him. He did a great job on the surgery and my nurse/daughter was very impressed his schooling and with my incision.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a marvel! With all the organizing and decisions etc.. you still find time to crochet. Piper chose a lovely colour for her blanket. And that baby blanket is so sweet. You'll have fun with that. Blessings, GM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Betsy. You are so so busy. Thank you for the gift of the goodness in your life . I am so happy you and Piper got to yarn shop. Do you just pinch yourself that you are there?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! You have so much going on Betsy. I get tired just reading all about it - LOL The yarn that Piper picked out is gorgeous - that will be such a pretty blanket. You must feel like you are in heaven having so much time with Piper and other family members...and knowing Dennis will be with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know you must be enjoying your family time; and it certainly sounds like you are continuing to keep yourself busy which is a good thing. Piper must be so happy to have you close by. That teal is a lovely color. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The new desk looks really good Betsy. I'm sure you will be able to put it together. I find if I'm not up against the clock and do a little at a time it's usually OK. I'm very glad your Mum's eye check went well. What a comfort for you both you are near enough to help. Family mean everything. Have a lovely Sunday. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful yarn and colour. I like the silky look to it. I am sure it will look fabulous. I bet Piper is absolutely thrilled you can now pick her up from school and can go out shopping together. It is also great to hear your mother is recovering well. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It must be an amazing feeling to pick up Piper from school and spend quality time with her, knowing you are living there and you can see her all the time. She is a lucky girl to have you so close. Take care Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I've SO enjoyed reading all about your 'new' home --and the move... Sounds like you are really getting things done... Love that color that Piper has enjoyed for her new 'blanket'.... Teal is always a favorite color of mine.

    Spring is going strong here now --but we do have that huge COLD front coming through here tomorrow... We'll try to 'cover' some of our new growth plants/flowers AGAIN tonight... I'm not sure when warm weather will ever get here this year! ha (I laughed at your comment about Spokane having the hot weather that that the cold, nasty stuff followed you to Omaha. Now you are sending it to US..... ha ha ha)

    Glad your Mom's eye is okay... Glad also that you are enjoying your new church and Bible Study.

    Hugs,
    Betsy (the Betsy from Tennessee).... ha

    ReplyDelete
  21. My blog roll is four days behind, but I was delighted to see a "new" post from you when I checked now! I am so glad you were able to take Piper yarn shopping and start on her beautiful new blanket! You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers with love. My NE niece posted pictures of your NE April 19th (her birthday) snow on our family text thread. Before we moved out of our house on Orient Drive we had a tub and sink "painted" and it came out beautifully. It is good to hear you are having good interaction with Dennis's mom and able to help with her healthcare and she is doing well. I am cheering you on as you sort out your settling in decisions and pleased to hear you enjoyed your Bible study evening with your sister as you draw near to the LORD GOD and declare His works. I got my second Pfizer vaccine shot Sunday around 5 pm at the Convention Center in Portland and am so grateful for the young friend who transported me to and from and shepherded me through the process. I felt a little out of it on Monday, but better today. Blessings to you and yours dear Betsy šŸ’œšŸ™šŸ¤—šŸ§¶

    ReplyDelete