Friday, October 27, 2023

A Beautiful Day at The Garden and Other Happenings

I’ve been away for a while again. Nothing exciting, just life has been happening. We have been so busy every day and I just haven’t had time to sit down and do a blog post. I’ve tried to comment on blog‘s every day, but usually it’s one or two at a time as I have a minute here and there.

Dennis’s uncle and two cousins were here from Minnesota from Thursday of last week until Sunday. That kept us busy visiting with them and not being home much at all. One of the things we did was go to the Lauritzen Garden here in Omaha. Many of the flowers were gone for the year, but there is still a lot of beauty to be had, as shown in the following two beautiful beds.



This is Mom enjoying a walk around after the tram dropped us off for a break to enjoy the beautiful shrubbery. She just turned 87 last month. Her brother Al is over her right shoulder and he is 90. He is a bundle of energy. He still walks a couple of miles every morning and does his own house work and cooking. The tram was a great way to get around the entire park because it’s very large and there’s no way Mom could have walked the entire thing.

There is a huge display of jungle type flowers and plants in this greenhouse. They also had a huge display of flowers that they called the wicked display. There they had all kinds of poisonous plants, spiky plants, poison ivy, etc. on display for Halloween.

There is a beautiful Japanese garden that we didn’t walk around. I just took photos as the tram drove by. It’s usually much prettier in the summertime, but as it’s getting cold out, the grass is starting to die out.



We had a lovely time with them all during the visit. They drive down about twice a year so Uncle Al, Mom, Aunt Joyce and Aunt Jean can all get together. They are the last of the siblings and spouses. There were 11 children in the family, so 22 aunts and uncle’s. The four of them are the last of that generation. Mom is the very last on the Queen side, out of 9 siblings, so 18 aunts and uncle’s!

Shifting gears to today. Dennis and I went to Pipers Halloween parade at school. This was the picture I got of her as they all walked by very quickly! It was 36°F and a north wind at 15 to 20 mph. It was cold! So when we got back to her house, I took a better picture for you all. 😍 But first, isn’t her tail cute! I love it!

There she is! My beautiful Cheshire Cat, from Alice in wonderland! Look at that smile! Isn’t she cute? I was sure glad she had a costume like this on today, instead of the skimpy princess ones that some of the girls had on. And some of them refused to wear their coats for the parade around the school. They had to be freezing. I had a coat, hat and gloves on, and I was still cold.

On Wednesday of last week, there was a funeral for a soldier who has been gone for over 70 years. He was a prisoner of war in Korea. The government received the bones of several POWs several years ago. After they were released, two of his fellow prisoners had told the government approximately where he was buried, and what he died of, which was pneumonia and malnutrition. He was 23 years old. Before they passed away, his mother and sister had both done one of those DNA things that were so popular a few years ago. They were able to identify his bones through a DNA match with them!

Now, how did we get involved? There is a gentleman that we have known for over 50 years, since before we were married. We went to church with him until we moved to Spokane. We attend the same church again now and sit next to him and his wife every Sunday. He is the nephew of this soldier. He was only four years younger than his uncle, they were more like brothers and played together as children. Guess who else played with them? Dennis’s dad! Ted the nephew, asked Dennis to be a pallbearer. Ted is 89 years old now. Dennis has actually known Ted much longer than I have, as his first girlfriend was Ted’s daughter! The service had full military honors, and many military service members were there to honor him. Ted and Donna are so happy to have him home and as his last living relative, Ted had his remains placed in a grave next to where they will be buried. There wasn’t a dry eye at that service.

I have been crafting when I’ve been in the car and in fits and starts here at home. I finished all of the Christmas ornaments for the family about midnight one night. That was a big relief. I definitely will take a picture so I can show all of you after Christmas. I’ve also been crocheting on the same shawl I was working on last week. Since I’m still working on the same shawl, it gives you an idea of how busy I have been. I’m also trying to finish a diamond painting that I’ve been working on. I’m almost finished with it and then I will have one finished for each season of the year. I plan to switch them for each season using the same frame.

Dennis has surgery on his thumb again next Thursday. We have several appointments before then to see doctors and have x-rays. To put it simply, they’re going to basically saw his thumb off and reattach it with screws and plates. The first surgery went well, but the splint they put on it afterwards allowed the pins to move around and now he’s in worse shape than he was before. He has no strength in that hand, and he can’t grip anything with his finger and thumb together. Please pray there are no “mess ups” this time around and he does well in surgery.

I hope you are all doing well. I’m sorry this is so lengthy, with so many photos and stories. Take care and stay safe.

Blessings and love,
Betsy


16 comments:

  1. Best of luck to Dennis - here's hoping the surgery is easy and a complete success. Piper is an adorable Cheshire Cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story about that soldier/family/etc. How wonderful that his remains are finally at "rest". Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Dennis must have another surgery...it sounds gruesome and painful! I pray it will be a success this time and that he will recover quickly. So lovely to see the gardens and the family out enjoying them and being together. That is really special. And Piper is adorable in her costume! Really sweet!! Now, I think I just learned something...is your last name "Queen"? So that's where the title of your blog comes from? I' am still a relatively new "follower" of your blog, so I never knew the reason for the title...duh! I just figured you were royalty somehow and I am honored to know you! You are a daughter of the most High King of kings!! Have a blessed and wonderful day and take care. Praying for Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear that Dennis' thumb didn't heal properly. I sure hope the surgery on his thumb is successful and I will remember him in my prayers. It looks like you and Dennis had a very nice visit to the Lauritzen Gardens with all his relatives. I want to age actively like Al:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those gardens look like a place I would love to visit!!!

    Love the Cheshire cat of course! But I had to laugh about the coatless princesses, as I had definitely been one a time or two! Hallowe'en in Canada can be quite cold!

    What a nice honour for the soldier finally. DNA is an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers for Dennis’ surgery and his care team. I’m glad Ted was able to honor his uncle and see him safely home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ME ENCANTA SABER DE TI BETSY QUERIDA HERMANA, ME GUSTAN TODAS TUS FOTOS EN ESPECIAL TU DULCE NIETA, ELLA ES ADORABLE¡¡¡¡¡ QUE TRISTE HISTORIA LA DEL SOLDADO PARIENTE, LA GUERRA ES TAN HORRIBLE PARA AMBOS LADOS, TODOS SUFREN PERDIDAS IRREPARABLES, DIOS LE DIO EL FINAL QUE NECESITABA. ORAREMOS POR TU ESPOSO PARA QUE TODO SALGA BIEN EN SU OPERACION. SEGUIMOS ORANDO LOS UNOS POR LOS OTROS QUE ES LO QUE NOS PIDE EL SEÑOR. HE COMENZADO CON LOS REGALOS PARA DAR A MI FAMILIA EN LA NOCHE DE AÑO NUEVO, COMO HACE VARIOS AÑOS LO VENGO HACIENDO, ESTOY TEJIENDO UNA PLANTA AL CROCHET CON COLORES MORADO, ROJO O VIOLETA, NARANJA Y AMARILLO CON BORDES VERDES, QUEDAN HERMOSAS, ARMARE UNAS MACETAS CON LATAS RECICLADAS, ES UN GRAN TRABAJO PERO ME ENCANTA, PRONTO PUBLICARE ALGUNO TERMINADO, DIOS TE SIGA BENDICIENDO DULCE AMIGA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU BETSY DEAR SISTER, I LOVE ALL YOUR PICTURES ESPECIALLY YOUR SWEET GRANDDAUGHTER, SHE IS ADORABLE¡¡¡¡¡ WHAT A SAD STORY ABOUT THE RELATIVE SOLDIER, WAR IS SO HORRIBLE FOR BOTH SIDES, EVERYONE SUFFERS IRREPARABLE LOSSES, GOD GAVE HIM THE ENDING HE NEEDED. WE WILL PRAY FOR YOUR HUSBAND THAT ALL GOES WELL WITH HIS SURGERY. WE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR EACH OTHER WHICH IS WHAT THE LORD IS ASKING US TO DO. I HAVE STARTED WITH THE GIFTS TO GIVE TO MY FAMILY ON NEW YEAR'S EVE, AS I HAVE BEEN DOING FOR SEVERAL YEARS, I AM CROCHETING A PLANT WITH PURPLE, RED OR VIOLET, ORANGE AND YELLOW COLORS WITH GREEN BORDERS, THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL, I WILL MAKE SOME POTS WITH RECYCLED CANS, IT IS A BIG JOB BUT I LOVE IT, SOON I WILL PUBLISH SOME FINISHED ONES, GOD CONTINUE BLESSING YOU SWEET FRIEND.

      Delete
  7. Lovely garden!
    That's an amazing story about the soldier. I just ordered a DNA kit because my daughter showed me her results and I was curious to see how much of her is me and how much is her dad's family.
    Good luck with that surgery. I hope Dennis is better natured about it than The Mister. He's driving me CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful when a soldier can be home and put to rest properly. I am so sorry that Dennis has to have another surgery, it sounds painful too. Good that you had time with your Minnesota relatives and Dennis's Mom looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand your absence here as the same thing has happened to me. Sometimes time just gets away from us. So nice that Dennis could be a pall bearer for that soldier and they were able to give him a proper funeral. I hope Dennis' surgery goes perfectly this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Piper's costume is so cute!!! I'm amazed that your Mom gets around as well as she does. I'm sure she enjoyed the outing and the family get-togethers. GM

    ReplyDelete
  11. The garden you visited with family is very nice. Lovely mom and Piper's got a lovely smile. Quite the story about the soldier and the family. Good for Dennis to be a pallbearer. I hope Dennis's hand ✋️ heals soon with that's happened to it. I'm still knitting on the back of my sweater. It was 32 degrees this morning and chilly when we got home from church then lunch at Red Robin...😋 we need to go on a walk soon. Stay warm and cozy and you're both in my prayers 🙏. 🎃 Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. A catch up post! I know the feeling, LOL. Love the garden photos. I'm glad you were able to get out with Mom. Caregiving is tough and I know she is having some tough times, too. It is great the remaining family can visit. Piper looks so cute in her costume and being able to wear extra clothes underneath is a plus! We have a similar climate and I know kids are disappointed when they have to cover the costume. It's smart to plan ahead just in case. So disappointing about Dennis's thumb. Such a freak accident to start with and who ever thought it could end up with all this. Prayers that all goes right and it heals properly and that some PT can help him regain function.
    I was very touched by the story of the soldier. What a wonderful connection you had. I am so happy for his family and friends that he is home. So heart wrenching, yet so glad of the ending. It is so sad to think of our soldiers, so young and far away, and all they went through then and are going through now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute Piper in her cat costume! the outing in the garden looks like a great day! I have been praying for Dennis and will remember him this week for another surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love all your pictures and commentary, Betsy. Always so interesting. Glad you got to go and see the gardens and also the Halloween parade of all the kids. Gosh it sure got cold by you! I'm used to you talking about hot temps! We have highs only in the 30's here too. What an honor that Dennis was a pallbearer for that soldier. Sounds like you've still been very busy crafting! I just ordered my Christmas cards today. Here comes the very busy time of year. Take good care you two.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying Betsy for thumb op and all your other doings and dear ones, thank you for being faithful in posting you are such a blessing, I pray for you all every night.
    God bless,
    Shaz in Oz.xx

    ReplyDelete