Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Burying my head?

I feel like these days that I’m staying at the lake I am like that, an ostrich, burying my head in the sand.  I am avoiding Facebook, the news, most of the Internet with the exception of your blogs.  I found my blood pressure kept rising and I can’t do anything about any of the issues the world is facing right now anyway except pray. Believe me, I’m doing a whole lot of that.

I hope you are enjoying your summer time, or for my friends down under, your early winter. We spent last weekend at our smaller trailer that has been stored at Alicia and Jeremy’s house. They have 10 acres about halfway up Mount Spokane. We didn’t have much cell or Internet service so I wasn’t able to check blogs. Although I tried to catch up when we got back it was just too much so I started afresh.

I took a walk along the lake this morning and it’s a beautiful day. I thought I would share a few photos with you.

Do you see the heron on the swimming dock?

Such gorgeous blue skies today.

The bath changing house at the beach. There were two eagles sitting up in the trees right above the bath house but I couldn’t get a picture for you.

I finished the baby blanket for donation. It’s the corner to corner crochet pattern using Bernat baby yarn. I think it’s called ice cream sherbet, but I’m not sure. I’ve had it in my stash for a while.  I haven’t washed it yet, so it’s fairly wrinkled.

I made up the border just a simple chain stitch and I’m not sure how much I like it but I think it will do.  I have a stack of about 10 baby blankets, several blankets for the veterans home and a bag full of baby hats to deliver once places are accepting donations again. Dennis says I’ll have to rent a storage unit if I can’t start delivering things again soon. Ha!

Alicia and Jeremy have been so good to us. They let us store our smaller trailer at their place and go camping there on their 10 acres anytime we want. They have full hook ups for us! She really likes the scrubby’s and dish cloths I make and actually asked for a new scrubby last weekend, so I’ve made her a few things to give her next time we see each other.

Mandy got Dennis two books for Father’s Day. It’s an author that they both enjoy. I believe they are all murder mysteries. Can you tell it was a bit chilly on Sunday? Today the high is supposed to be 88°F. A big change. can you see Chloe photo bombing on the grass?

We found a place that we were thinking of moving to and selling our house while the market is so hot here. It’s in a senior retirement village for 55+. They always sell quickly in those places around here and so we thought that would be a wiser move for us because it’s much less expensive than our home, which is much bigger than we need.  Our friend who is a realtor, called last night and told us about one that just came on the market. I called this morning to ask the management about pets and they said absolutely not to our Chloe. 10 pounds and under only. Honestly? Although I love little dogs too, all of them I know tend to be barkers. We had Chloe for six months before we ever heard her bark and that was just to protect me from another dog that was running at us. I don’t want to live somewhere like that anyway, because there is no way we are going to get rid of our Chloe.

We’re trying very hard these days to rely on the Lord and verses like the one below. He will direct our paths when the time comes for retirement.

Wishing you all a wonderful Tuesday.
Many blessings, 
Betsy

21 comments:

  1. I actually think checking out at this time is not a bad idea. :-) I am also very sparse in my FB activity as I get upset when family and friends post things that go against my ideology. I mean, you aren't going to change anyone's mind on some serious issues so why alienate friends and family by posting those things? I definitely think it's good to keep up on the news but we also have to take care of our emotional well-being by making sure we appreciate the beauty of nature and enjoy happy things. It's getting hot here today, time to turn on the AC! I hope you find a wonderful place to move that will bring you joy in retirement. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty is a wonderful way to bring your BP down. I am sticking to the strick rules about no news per the drs orders-it really helps. the baby blanket is beautiful! I have a big pile that needs delivering, too, soon I hope it will be ok to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a place to escape to. I am sorry I didn't push The Mister into getting that little RV I wanted after he inherited his mom's money. We could be on the road. Now we are stuck at home because they say the worst place to go is into a public rest room and who can go far at our age and not need one? Lol....this year really stinks.
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Betsy. I Love all your camping photos. They are so lovely to see. They bring me peace.
    Im so sorry about the dog refusal. Clearly it is not the place God wants you to retire to. I do believe that you will need to rent space what with all your charity knits waiting to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos! Love the blanket and how the corners at the beginning and end are nearly the same - almost like you planned it that way. Sorry to hear the senior complex You’re interested in is restricting the size of dogs. My complex has changed their policy to no pets, but has grandfathered the contract for those who currently have pets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choosing a place to retire to is a big decision. I can see why you would NOT choose a place that wouldn't accept Chloe.Some places want to exert way too much control.
    The finished blanket is lovely and the edging is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know EXACTLY how you feel about your Chloe. I could NEVER give Giroux away. Heck, I feel horrible about the life he had as a kitten and I had nothing to do with it.

    As for the news .........isn't it just awful. I was so looking forward to getting out and doing things this summer since we no longer have Steve's Dad to take care of. Well, Covid-19 put the kibosh on that. This certainly isn't the retirement we had hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our Dear Lord brought us here to this little Island for our retirement and we haven't looked back. We miss family but as soon as we are able to travel we will see them all. I am sure when the time is right you will find the prefect place for you and Dennis. As for the bags dear friend I will get them in the post as soon as I am able. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The baby blanket is beautiful!
    I wouldn't be able to give up my pets for a move either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blue skies and blue water in those first two pictures are just beautiful! We have felt a lot the same way as you...we avoid watching the news and most TV shows, and have stayed home until, well, we finally got out of the house and drove to a nearby lake, just to look around. Felt like we had been on a vacation. :) That is an adorable baby blanket and I love the trim you made for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing the whole ostrich thing too - and have been for a long, long time. No sense getting riled up over things I have no control over. It must have been wonderful to get away a little bit and, of course, your lake location is just so lovely. Sorry the real estate option didn't pan out, but I would not be giving up my pet either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi There, The world and specifically our country is in a HUGE mess now for sure. Trying to ignore it helps --but when they start tearing down the statues which I love (our history), it's hard to ignore....You are right though. It does affect the blood pressure for sure!!!!

    Glad you had a chance to get away, not only to your place at the lake, but to your friends' home up in the mountains... Sounds fabulous....

    I have a blog friend who (she and her hubby) retired younger than many. They moved into a big retirement highrise (in MD) about a year ago, and absolutely hated it... Said they were the younger ones there (and most were older). They got completely quarantined for a LONG time in their rooms/apartment... They are moving to VT to be closer to their kids... They say that they will not live in a retirement community again like that. Just some food for thought for you all... I wouldn't move anywhere without Chloe either, if I were you.

    When George and I 'have' to move ---I think we'll choose a condo somewhere (with a teeny bit of yard (just for a few plants/flowers). Our house here is fine (one level, not big, etc.)--but the yard work is getting to be too much (as much as we love growing flowers).... George is 78 and I will be 78 in August.... Getting up there in age--and the aches and pains own us now.... ha

    Have you all thought about moving closer to your kids?????

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. The news drives me batty! I want to stick my head in the sand also. But your getaway is so lovely and I love your knitted projects. Still trying to convince myself to learn to knit but I think for now I'll stick with crochet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are still hunkered down at home, wish I had a place on the lake to hibernate like you! WE watch limited news...no good news out there. WE have a 55 and older place in town...no dogs allowed there. I can understand their view but dogs owners views too.
    Enjoy your time at the lake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you and Dennis are thinking wisely about downsizing. We will be doing that in the near future as we find out how Little B handles third grade in the public school system. If he has to go elsewhere we will have to move. I pray a lot Betsy, and although my blood pressure goes up when I see the news I feel I have to stick with it because to me it is a privilege to not be able to see what is happening. I don't mean 24/7 its just that I am so lucky with my life, job, family, where I live, food on my table that I must attend to what is happening for those who are not so lucky. And besides praying, which is super important, you can vote. Vote to help everyone, not just a select few.

    ReplyDelete
  16. May God grant wisdom and discernment concerning your move, dear friend. I know He will make a way, and He will make that way apparent. YOur baby blanket is SO beautiful! I absolutely LOVE the border you chose. I do something similar, but only one round. You gave me a wonderful idea about expanding it to several times around. I think it is just beautiful. May the Lord richly bless you for every stitch you put into doing for others. You are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Father's Day to Dennis! T hat was nice to get away up the mountain. Better you than me...I'm afraid of heights! LOL! Isn't that crazy about little dogs versus bigger dogs? You're so right...the big ones only bard when truly necessary....the little ones bark a lot! LOL! I had one of each so I know. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for posting, Betsy. I'm glad you got to enjoy time at your smaller trailer as well as time at the lake. I admire your beautiful stitching! There is much to pray about, but I believe none of our circumstances surprise the Lord. He is interceding for us to be one with Him in His great love to finish the work He saw for us before the beginning of time. By His Mercy and Grace I believe He is with us guiding us in practical decisions about retirement homes, and how much news to watch and absorb as we give ourselves to make the Gospel Good News for others. 💜🙏💜💐💜

    ReplyDelete
  19. Betsy I always enjoy visiting your blog and get excited when I see that you have visited mine. The photos of the lake are beautiful and I am so happy that you and Dennis have a place like this to go and break away from all the garbage that is filling the media these days.
    Praise the Lord, he knows everything that is going on in our lives and He loves us and will walk with us . . . all the way. . . every step. I have faith and I have read the Book and know how it ends :) These are such troubling times and my life has had so much piled onto it lately, that I just want to wake up and find that it has all been a bad dream, but it's not and I will get through it all and hopefully grow in faith and wisdom. I believe the Lord has a plan for all of us and if we are still here on this earth He's still working our plan out. His plan is better than mine and here I am :)
    God bless you sweet friend,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just wrote a post about how I need to stay away from current events right now. How lucky that you have a place of solace in nature to get away. It looks quiet and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The baby blanket is absolutely beautiful! I love the edging that you added, it's so perfect with the varied pinks. Any baby girl would love it! ❤️ Such a beautiful lake. Ahhh, I would be sitting out there forever, no one would be able to get me to come inside lol. ... This world is fickle and no one has any common sense anymore, so all we can do is pray. I, too, stay away from news. We don't own a tv and we refuse to look at mainstream media websites. We get our news elsewhere. Remember that God is in the plan and He's working it even now. ... Our apartment building is the same way, everyone has to be 55+ and the people who have pets are only allowed to have them if they are legally approved "emotional support animals" and under 30 pounds. In other words, nearly all the dogs here are chihuahua ankle biters (yes, literally!). And yep, they bark ALL. THE. TIME. Ugh. ... Praying for you dear friend! Keep your eyes on Jesus! Blessings! ❤️

    ReplyDelete