Monday, March 9, 2020

Monday Catch Up

It’s Monday morning here in Washington state. The news has been crazy all weekend so I thought I would share some happy things with you.

I just took this photo about five minutes ago looking towards Mt. Spokane from our deck. The top of the mountain is hidden in the clouds.  These are the only clouds in the sky. Every other direction is bright blue sky. I’m looking forward to taking a walk this afternoon when it warms up a little more. The sunshine is deceptive. It’s only 33° right now!

Dennis and I took Chloe on a couple of long walks around our neighborhood yesterday just to get out of the house and look what I found! These were hiding under a bush a few blocks away. The first flowers of spring!

I finished the blanket for my blog friend Pammy Sue, and will deliver it to her tomorrow. She had it about halfway done when I started working on it last week. Because of a shoulder injury she wasn’t able to complete it and it is a gift for a friend of hers. This was so much fun to crochet! She used Hobby Lobby‘s “I Love This Yarn” and it is one of the softest blankets I’ve ever worked on. Pammy Sue used a size I crochet hook and to match her gauge I had to go up to an N! I always knew that my crochet and knitting tension is very tight, but I didn’t realize just how tight.

This photo is on top of a queen size bed so you could get an idea of the size. The tension still isn’t exactly the same but unless you are a crocheter, I don’t think you would be able to tell.
  
Four more hats are done for the retirement centers hat project.  Three are crochet and the one on the top left is knitted.

Last night I picked up my baby blocks blanket again.  I have three more repeats of the blocks and it will be finished. I’m not sure who this will go to, probably the hospital as I don’t know of any little baby girls on the way!  it definitely looks more girly than it does boyish.

We have been staying away from crowds lately. I have been advised by my cardiologist’s office that I am in a high-risk group for the c-virus and that I should try to stay away from groups of 10 or more people. We watched the live stream of Mandy‘s church service from Omaha yesterday morning and then read our Bibles together. I sure hope this doesn’t last long because it doesn’t seem right not to go to church on Sunday morning.  I could probably count on both of my hands the number of times I have missed Sunday morning services in the last 50 years or so.  

Our family has big, Big, BIG news! Alex and Tara are engaged! He followed her back to London from Tokyo last week and surprised her. Both families were in on the surprise but Tara had no idea. I think he was down to plan “D” for the actual proposal because of the virus and quarantine issues messing up all of his plans. But, all’s well that ends well, and they are now in quarantine together in London.

I cannot even begin to tell you how excited and happy we are to have Tara joining our family. She is a lovely, thoughtful and sweet and very intelligent woman and we are thrilled to have her as our daughter. Dennis and I have both said we have never seen Alex as happy as he is with Tara.  Lots to be decided now as far as the wedding goes and his life will definitely change a lot since his business is based in Japan and her career is in London.  I’m sure they will work it all out as for what’s best for the two of them and the only thing that could make me happier was if they lived in Spokane! I know that’s not going to happen but a Mom can wish. Ha!

I hope you are all well and stocked up on the necessities. I’m hoping you all have a wonderful Monday. Remember to wash your hands!

“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”  Numbers 6:24-26

Blessings,
Betsy

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Alex and Tara! I wish them a long and happy life together.
    Both the Queen sized blanket and the pretty baby blanket are lovely. I'd agree that it looks more like a baby girl one than for a boy.
    I almost always have plenty of back-up necessities so I'm not in need of any emergency supplies. For years we've made the habit of giving our hands a good scrubbing when we've been out and about. But, like you we're avoiding crowds, just to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear some good news - congratulations to Alex & Tara. Bless you for finishing the Afghan for your friend.i like that pattern and the colors. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice surprise! Congratulations to Alex and Tara. That is an amazing afghan! I think I saw the pattern for the baby blanket yesterday; it's really pretty. It's chilly here, too, but there are lots of signs of spring and lots of yard work out there. Stay well in these crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job taking on the crocheted blanket--it looks wonderful! The hats are popping right off your needles like you are a factory! lol The baby blanket is so pretty-I know you can add blue to a girl's blanket but you can't add pink to a boys! Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Tara and Alex. How exciting for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful items as always! I read somewhere that originally blue was for girls and pink for boys. Somewhere in history they were reversed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* to Alex, Tara and both of your families! Wa-HOOO! I will be interested to see where they decide to live. And I will cross my fingers that they will split the difference and move to the USA! Whoever gets that block blanket will be very lucky, it's quite magnificent. Perhaps you should start making some things for a future grandchild? :-D We've been stocking up on necessities and I'm taking a hiatus from volunteering at the falls. Many of the visitors there come straight from the airport and I just am not willing to take the chance since I am in the high risk group, age and underlying health issues. My DAR group cancelled the meeting today and also a big luncheon next month. So.. we're staying home and rarely going out and will not go anywhere there are large groups of strangers. Take care of yourselves.. tell Dennis we said hello! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulation to your son and his soon to be bride! I am certain they will formulate a plan I cannot imagine a marriage long distance.
    You are best to isolate yourself...we are to...it is just not worth it.
    That blanket is just beautiful!
    Yes marlu is right about pink for boys and blue for girls in the late 1800's.
    Your baby blanket is lovely. I started one similar to that years ago but with a variegate yellow, white and green. That baby was stillborn...I kept the blanket half finished for years and finally frogged it and gave the yarn to the thrift shop. ( Not my baby but a relatives baby...so sad.)
    God is in charge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting!!! What wonderful news! Congrats to the happy couple. Weddings are so much fun.
    That blanket is amazing. How sweet of you to finish it for her.
    I am glad to hear you're isolating yourself. I am doing the same as I have asthma. The swine flu nearly did me in. I don't want to go through anything like that again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Betsy! Wonderful news - so happy for all of you and congratulations to Alex & Tara. Glad you are playing it safe and staying away from crowds. This is a very scary time. Your little hats to donate are all so pretty. What is the pattern for the baby blanket - I love it! Take care and stay healthy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Give Alex and Tara our congratulations. Both blankets and the hats are beautiful. It is hard to be away from the fellowship of church, especially when you aren't feeling bad but God knows that you follow his heart, regardless.
    Have a blessed week and
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah for Alex and Tara's engagement. Glad they're in London. Such a lovely place. I have friends visiting England as their son in based over for 6 months. Not heard of any virus hitting there yet. Afghans are so pretty. Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work sweet friend. That is such awesome news about Alex and Tara. I pray they have a very long and happy life together, they certainly have two of the best examples of a happy marriage in you and your Husband. Blessings to you all dear sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on Alex and Tara's engagement! I envy you having flowers blooming already... we still have snow! Your blankets are beautiful, how kind of you to finish the blanket for Pammy Sue. I'm sure her friend will love it. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good golly, did you climb to the ceiling to get that photo?! Haha! I'm sure Pammy Sue reeeeeeally appreciates your help so much for finishing that blanket. You are truly a God-hearted friend! Congratulations and many good wishes to Alex and Tara! Woo-hoo! How wonderful when someone you already love will soon be joining your family. We've been keeping all of you in prayer concerning that virus. Jerry and I are in that high risk group, too, so I watch every thing and every place we have to go and try not to do anything that would put us in jeopardy. But, we can't live our lives in fear... we just need to use common sense and take necessary precautions. Many blessings to you and Dennis, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, what wonderful news!! I know you are so happy to welcome a new daughter into your lives! May God bless them and work out all the obstacles and dynamics. It would truly be wonderful if they could move to where you are! Oh, my, you just never know what miracles God may have in store for you! Isn't it wonderful that we can enjoy services online? We do that, also, and oh, it is truly a blessing! And, the neat thing is, you can go back and relive the experience as many times as you'd like. God is so good to encourage us and sustain us in the midst of our trials. I am claiming Psalm 91 repeatedly, out loud and believing for His protection and grace. Much love to you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry for such late visit, dearest Betsy 😊
    Finally made it over here but read it when it came in my inbox.
    Your dear self and your equally dear family have been much in my thoughts and prayers.

    And what good news you share, such things bring a mother's (& father's) heart joy!!! So thrilled for Alex and Tara.

    Praise God for good news in midst of hard times for many. Praying God's keeping upon them both in this new step in their lives.

    Love that you livestream messages. As my health is so variable I've often had to miss church, am so grateful for you tube channel of our church, we dont actually live stream though.
    Friends (missionaries) in Japan in Hokkaido which is in state of emergency and much closed have done it with their church services just this month.
    Many more are very blessed as a result. How good is God.
    Love the crocuses, saw them like that in Finland poking out of bits of snow as well in April 2012. Visiting with my family.

    Love the rug for Pammy Sue, the beautiful purple (our fav colour) hats for home, and stunning blocked baby rug.
    What blessed hands you have!
    God is good, all the time! Beautiful scripture too. ❤❤❤
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you.
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so talented at knitting and crocheting. The blanket for your friend is beautiful. I love it! So nice of you to finish it for her. Such a pretty baby blanket too, and the hats. You have such a kind heart. I enjoy your posts, and enjoy the comments you leave on my blog. Thank you! Oh, I found a couple of crocuses yesterday too. Hope your snow goes away soon and spring comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on the engagement. That's so exciting! Your blanket is beautiful! Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I forgot to say the afghan you finished for a friend reminds me of the old ripple pattern. It is just beautiful and I like the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Incredible news Betsy! Congrats to the happy couple. You do indeed have to stay away from people my fiend. Better to play it safe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what wonderful news! I must have seen your block blanket because I have since casted one one for a new baby a friend is adopting soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there, Glad to hear that you are doing okay SO FAR as we go through this Virus Scare. No Covid 19 cases in our county so far --but we are being very very careful through this Virus scare. We also are not panicking --and definitely not hoarding items/food, etc... People can be nuts at times like this.

    Congrats to your son... Tara sounds like a perfect lady for him....

    Love the beautiful blanket you finished for Pammy Sue (what a cute name). AND the baby blanket is gorgeous....

    Stay Healthy and Safe!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great big family congrats!!! Your attitude about overseas Fami1y is where I need to get to. The throw you are finishing is gorgeous. Someone is going to be happy to receive it! Getting our 2nd boosters today, I hope

    ReplyDelete