Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Sunshine, glorious sunshine!

We have sunshine today! I am enjoying it because later today clouds are supposed to return and we’re to have rain and snow clear through Sunday.  And as you can tell by these photos almost all of our snow is gone other than a  few patches here and there. Unheard of for February!

There is a reason I’m posting photos of the house. Last weekend we had a horrible windstorm that only lasted about 30 minutes or so. Dennis slept through the whole thing, but I kept hearing this weird banging noise that sounded like it was coming from the roof over by the chimney. Yesterday as I backed out of the driveway I could see that it looked like shingles were loose. After talking to Dennis and calling a couple of roofing companies and never hearing back from them, he came home early from work and climbed up there onto that peak to nail down three shingles that were hanging off of the roof. Apparently when they put our gas fireplace in, they didn’t do a very good job of attaching the shingles. I don’t know if these photos actually show just how high this roof is. Neither of us like heights, but my wonderfully brave husband went up there anyway. He said 20 years ago it wouldn’t have bothered him a bit, but the older he gets the less he likes getting up that high. He also said that you do what you have to do and with more rain and snow coming it had to be done.

I was talking to the kids on the WhatsApp chat on my phone while he was on the roof and I was on the ground watching him. From around the world they were chiming in with their advice! Dennis kept saying I’m 64, not 84. I’m still capable of this! Well, maybe he is but my heart sure doesn’t like it! He was pretty pleased that he probably saved us a couple of hundred dollars by getting up there himself. We were all relieved when he was back firmly on the ground.

One year we had to have our roof shoveled because we had about 4 1/2 feet of snow up there. Everyone was afraid of roof cave-ins that year and we had to hire roofers to come out and shovel the roof. You couldn’t even see out of those front windows on the bottom because the snow was so deep.  We have a 6 foot privacy fence around the backyard and you could literally walk from one yard to the other, up and down the block.  You couldn’t even see the fences! Thank goodness that hasn’t been an issue this year. But look at how blue the sky is. I am certainly enjoying it today.

Three more hats were finished and will be delivered to the nursing home today. I sure have been enjoying this yarn. It’s the Hobby Lobby “I love this yarn” in worsted weight.
Another dish cloth was finished at church on Sunday.
Look how pretty my birthday flowers still are after two weeks! I’m still enjoying them and the balloons!

I told you I would give you the recipe for the slow cooker chicken and so here it is. I didn’t get a picture of it and actually it doesn’t look all that great, but oh my goodness it tastes wonderful.  It’s very simple and I just used dried herbs because I didn’t have fresh and it was great anyway. I also used chicken breasts that were boneless.

French Onion Slow Cooker Chicken 


Chicken

1/4 cup butter

8 cups halved and thinly sliced sweet onions (about 3 large onions)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/ 2 cup chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)

4 bone-in skin-on split chicken breast halves (about 3 lb)

2 tablespoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons cold water


Additional chopped fresh thyme leaves or chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, if desired


Steps

  • Spray inside of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper; cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften. 
  • Reduce heat to medium; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are starting to brown. Add chicken broth; heat to simmering. Remove from skillet to medium bowl. 
  • Season chicken breasts with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add chicken, skin-side down, to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to slow cooker; top chicken pieces with onion mixture. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest parts are cut to bone (at least 165°F). 
  • Remove chicken from slow cooker to serving platter; cover and keep warm. In small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water with whisk; beat into onion mixture in slow cooker. Cover; cook on High heat setting 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly and slightly thickened. Top chicken with sauce. You can garnish with additional thyme or parsley if you would like.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did. Next time I will give you the recipe for my chicken pot pie.  I thought I should probably  just do one at a time!  I hope you all have a wonderful afternoon.

“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim His name; make known among His nations what He has done. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; tell of all His wonderful acts.”  Psalms 105:1-2

Blessings,
Betsy

17 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I don't like it when Fletch gets up on ladders either. I'm better off not knowing about it - lol. Thanks for the recipe - sounds good. Glad you got some blue sky. We had that earlier, but now the greyness is back and rain is coming in:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have reached an age where heights and dangerous repairs should be left to the younger generation, but as home owners, sometimes we have no choice. A couple of weeks ago I had a reason to crawl under our house and I'm 74 and it was scary. Steve came outside and was scolding me for crawling under there, but I just could not rest until I checked a problem out. I wore rubber boots with my jeans tucking into them, my jacket zipped up around my neck , gloves and a hat. I had a flashlight in one hand and a can of spider spray in the other and was breaking up spider webs with a shovel as I crawled along. A very pretty sight, LOL. Sometimes we just haven't got a choice. I am so happy that Dennis didn't slip . . . at least in my job I had nowhere to fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's no fun to go up on the roof--high or low as you age but that sure was a great height! Glad it worked out for you guys! Beautiful knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mister climbs around on our roof like a monkey and I hate it. I declared no more holiday lights because I hated seeing him get up there but there are still the gutters to be cleaned out and the chimney to sweep. I stand by with the phone like you did-to call 911 if I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo for Dennis to get up there and fix the roof. But I'm with you.. I hate it when Dayle goes up on the roof to blow the leaves off or wash the skylights. One false move and he could be a goner. Scary. Good job on the 3 charity hats. You're so generous. I'm glad you are not having the awful snow that you've had in past winters, I know how upsetting it is for you. We had a gorgeous day here today so we went out to lunch and a few errands. We got some new paint for the upstairs bedrooms. We're finally turning them back into guest rooms! So, we got a new mattress for our log bed and new down comforter, duvet cover and sheets. Things are looking up! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got a little sunshine. Poppy and I were talking today about how gloomy the days have been lately because of all the rain and wind and storms. A sunny day just lifts our spirits. It has been very cloudy here today with rain coming in tonight and a chance of storms tomorrow. :( Going up om a roof is scary and dangerous. That is a very high roof. Your husband was brave. Those hats are the prettiest I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad Dennis is safe and sound and you got to enjoy blue skies and sunshine, dear Betsy. Thanks for giving us a chance to admire your latest stitching... I think the hats are especially beautiful...you know how I love purple 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your roof sure does look high. I'm glad your husband was able to fix the problem and not slip and fall!
    I think the nursing home patients will love the colourful hats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! I shake just getting on a three-step ladder.I can’t imagine getting up on the roof anymore. Ooh, the blue sky looks great. It’s been cold and dreary here lately. Nice job on the hats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like when Steve gets up on the roof either.

    I LOVE your big windows on the front of the house. You must get BEAUTIFUL sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad Dennis survived being a roofer! I don't like heights either. Your hats are so pretty love that shade of purple:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my! I would have been a nervous wreck watching my husband on that roof! It is SO high! Thank the Lord, all is well with Dennis, and your roof is fixed. Your birthday flowers still look so pretty! And, I just love the colors of those hats. SO, so pretty. God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank goodness it was a fairly easy fix. My husband sleeps through everything! We had a major windstorm the other night that kept me up for hours. I was just praying none of the plants on our balcony would topple over to our neighbor's yard below which is what happened last year. I rearranged things after that and so far so good. Take care and stay warm! The hats are so pretty and I'm sure much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Egads! I'm afraid of heights and would not be able to do that! Just looking at how high that is makes me hyperventilate. Glad Dennis got it done with no mishaps! You have such beautiful house. That snow would have been awesome to see... and to step over the fence! Wow! The sunshine streaming in those windows must be so awesome! I love those purple caps, such a beautiful color. They look so soft and warm -- those lucky residents will surely feel blessed to have them! Jerry says your french onion chicken sounds like what his grandma made on the farm when he was little and he really liked it a lot. I may have to try it and alter a couple ingredients to match our diets. Your birthday flowers look as fresh and beautiful as ever. I love it when flowers last such a long time. Blessings and love to you, dear friend! You and Dennis have a lovely and happy Valentine's day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad all went well with Dennis on his adventure climbing on the roof and that you are prepared for the next onslaught of bad weather predicted. Love that the family all had advice to give, it made me smile thinking of my own family and how similiar it would have been with them giving out advice. The hats are a delight, beautiful colour. I will be giving the chicken a try. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dad was in construction but he had to retire because he fell off a roof when he was in his 50's. So glad Dennis got down safely but tell him it is just not worth it!
    Thank you for the recipe. I am just now making out my menu so it is on there! Happy Valentine's Day to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phil rarely gets up on the roof. Our garage is having roof issues. A small tree limb has been lifting one shingle up when the wind is blowing, hopefully it won't leak. We plan to get it taken care of soon as well as getting the house and garage painted early summer/late spring. Thankful Dennis was ok and didn't fall off roof. Glad you don't have a ton of snow like you did the other year! Goodness!!! But there is always something to be thankful for in the hard times. Take care my friend!! Hugs and blessings!!

    ReplyDelete