Thursday, February 20, 2020

Busy Day

It’s Thursday and I’ve had a busy morning already. I’ve been to the Dollar Store, Walmart, Costco and the grocery store, along with stopping to get gas. The frustrating thing is, I have discovered that my Fitbit does not record steps when I’m pushing a cart. So all the walking I did around Walmart, Costco and the grocery store doesn’t even show up on my Fitbit! Oh well. I know I did it. :-)

The yarn arrived yesterday for Dennis’s sweater. I love Knit Picks yarn, but they are so slow in shipping. This took 13 days to arrive and the tracking showed that it sat in Spokane for one entire week before it was delivered. I wonder why that happens every single order?

It is 100% wool and I’m enjoying knitting it except for the fact that I can’t see it at night.

This is what I got accomplished yesterday afternoon. The color above is much more accurate. It is a very dark blue, almost navy.  The sun washes it out a lot in the photo below.  I am making him the Adirondack Pullover by Elizabeth Morrison. It’s the same pattern as the one I made him last winter and he loves it. I told him I would make a different pattern and he said no, he wanted an identical sweater and just a different color.  He even chose the color on the website.

Imagine my surprise when I came home yesterday and found a box on my porch. It was from my friend Kim who has a YouTube channel called “Naturally Kim’s Knitting”. It was chock full of yarn! There are some partial skeins and some full ones too.  We both share a love for the color purple and she gave me four beautiful skeins of purple yarn. Many of these will work wonderfully for mittens. Thank you so much Kim!

There is a table in the corner of our living room that has some of my favorite pictures on it. That one in the front is Mandy, Jamie, and Alex in December 1988, the month Alex was born.  The one to the right of it is of me and my three older siblings, back in about 1965 or so.

This one is of Mandy and I and one of the Queen’s guards in London. We took a trip together when she graduated from nursing school. What a week we had! We wandered all over London, went to Bath to visit Jane Austen’s house, to Stonehenge and to Windsor Castle. It was a week I will never forget.  My goodness I was a lot thinner then and it doesn’t seem like it’s been that long ago!

This one was taken last time Dennis and I visited Alex. We took a trip from Tokyo on the Shinkansen, or bullet train, to Kyoto for a few days and stayed in a Ryokan.  They are kind of like bed and breakfasts here in the States.  They provided the ukata’s,  (I think I spelled that completely wrong), for us to wear in the room and do you see that mat Alex is standing on? Those were our beds. I don’t think my back could take that these days.  I love Japan and we had a wonderful time on that particular trip. I’ve been there several times and I fall in love with the country a little more each time I visit.

OK, I need to get busy and vacuum and clean bathrooms, since tonight is Bible study here at our house. I was lazy yesterday afternoon and spent all of my time knitting and I didn’t get anything else done. Wishing you all a wonderful day.

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others above yourselves.” Philippians 2:3

Blessings,
Betsy

14 comments:

  1. What wonderful photos! You've made some great memories.
    That's a great yarn haul! I see people complaining all the time about their Knit Pick orders over in their Ravelry group. They do make odd shipping detours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't like knitting with dark colored yarn because it is so hard to see the stitches. I have a craft light that I use and that helps a great deal. I love all your new yarn... what a kind and generous friend you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing your photographs.

    Glad you got your KnitPicks order. I wonder WHY it was in Spokane for so long???

    P.S. I have had a bit of a problem with my address book and lost some of my email addresses. Could you email me so I can add you back in? THX.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a whirlwind you are, shopping at all those places. I can't believe fitbit won't count steps behind a shopping cart, that's a bummer. How nice of your friend to donate some mitten yarn. I should go through my stash and do the same. I also think KnitPicks is way too slow in shipping. I mean.. come on.. Amazon can get stuff to you in one or 2 days. That photo in England is so neat.. you and your daughter are so pretty, you could be models! Hope your weekend is a good one. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of shopping for u today. Another sweater? I like the color. Love older photos you shared. I had Phil take a photo of me when we were by Buckingham palace on our honeymoon and I stood by one of the guards. I enjoyed my time over there. Work days have been a bit busier, which is a good thing. Truck accident on I-5 NB took Phil 2 hours and 20 minutes before he got to work. Usually 20 min total!! Sun in the sky lately here and two nice warmer days have been good! I'm off shopping Friday. Have a blessed weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy to see your old photos and some of your treasured memories of your trips. Love the colour of the yarn you are using for the jumper it has such an enchanting name. Sadly I have not been able to make bible study for the past 6 weeks as it coincides with my heart rehab appointment but I am enjoying doing artwork in my bible. Have a wonderful weekend dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Betsy.. you are busy,I do love Dennis' new colour yarn, as Im a navy girl.. but so agree re working in dark colours.
    Love the yarn gifted too I'm a purple girl too.
    Praying you'll get to Japan in 2020. I was in London in 2006, 2009, 2012.. family living there really helped. Now in Norway.. been there too on my miracle trip in 2018. Praying one for you.. with God all things are possible. Loved your photos.
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you.
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have been exhausted if I had gone shopping to that many places! LOL! You're a trouper! Dennis's sweater is going to be beautiful. He has good taste in colors. It was so nice of your friend to send you all that lovely yarn! She knows it will not go to waste with you!
    Your travels look fascinating and I had to really examine that London picture to see which one was you! You looked more like sisters. Enjoy your company tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, nothing like a new sweater to steam up the knitting fun! I sympathize over the color; you are right, you will need a lot of light!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see a bunch of folks complaining about KnitPicks. I haven't noticed the slowness. I like the yarn that Dennis picked out, but you are right - strong light needed to knit with that. It will be a beautiful sweater though. Love seeing all your pictures Betsy, and so many nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try your fit bit in your pocket and see if that works:) That many stores in one day is a feat in itself. I have a hard time with dark yarn too at night, maybe a headlamp would help...I think Sam had on on her blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great sweater! I never used to have a problem with Knit Picks but they made some changes a while back and it's horrible now. Now, it takes about two weeks, sometimes longer for a package to arrive, half the time the package arrives open or damaged in some way and the tracking frequently doesn't work. It's very frustrating but I do love some of their yarns and they are budget friendly so I keep on ordering....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I loved seeing the photos of you and your family! You look so pretty in the pictures. It is so wonderful to look back over the years and recall the precious memories. I am so thankful God allowed photography to be invented. It seems I have forgotten so much of my life, and sometimes I don't think I would ever call certain things to mind if I didn't have pictures to job my memory! Thank you so much for sharing with us, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the family photos, Betsy. I enjoyed seeing you and yours in England and Japan! I also enjoyed seeing the beginning of the new sweater for Dennis, and the new stash of yarn I know you will put to good use. Well even if the Fitbit would not give you credit for your effort walking doing errands I am cheering you on and so glad you were able to accomplish so much! I walked around our condo loop this morning and worked on my taxes the rest of the day. 😮🙏💜

    ReplyDelete