Sunday, June 28, 2015

Dog Days of Summer

,It is HOT!  How hot you say?  Here is Mattie and Chloe at the lake.  Not moving much except to follow the shade around.
A screen shot of my phone at 7:30 p.m. Just a few moments ago.  100 F !!!!   Unbelievable.  The high was 109 F today.  106F yesterday.  We broke every record on file for both days.  In our 23 years in the northwest, I don't ever remember having this hot of weather before.  At least it's low humidity which helps somewhat.
This is the 10 day forecast.  Not much relief.
We had a 60th wedding anniversary party yesterday so we came home from the lake at noon.  I must admit that the air conditioning at home is very welcome.  After the party we went to the church to set up for the potluck today.  After setting up lots and lots of tables and chairs and doing all of the prep work we could, Dennis and I went to Larry and Nita's house to swim and cool down.  They have a 21 x 40 foot in ground pool.  It felt SO good to jump into that cool water.

After church today and the clean-up from the potluck, we again went to their house to swim.  We opted to stay home from the lake today because I have another test at the hospital tomorrow morning.  This way we both didn't have to make the drive back home tomorrow morning.  I'm planning to go out tomorrow after the test.  By the way...the good news is they haven't found anything wrong with me so far.  The bad news is I almost had a heart attack when I opened the latest bill on Friday.  Oh my goodness!!!  I may have to go back to work.  We have a HUGE deductible that has almost been met with all of these tests.  I'm not exaggerating my friends.  After this "tilt-table" test tomorrow and the one planned for next week, we should be maxed out on the deductible.  Then the insurance is supposed to  pay 70% of anything after the deductible is met.

We have another potluck planned with friends at the lake on Wednesday evening and then the resort owners are hosting a barbecue on the 4th of July for all of the residents.  That's us!  They provide hamburgers and hot dogs and fireworks.  We provide side dishes and dessert.  It's always a lot of fun but it will be SO hot this year.  Yuck!  I'm looking forward to jumping into the lake tomorrow afternoon.  Dennis bought me a new chair floaty thingy so I can just sit in the water for hours and stay cool. As long as I remember to put on my sunscreen. :-)

I've been reading a lot and the only crafty things I'm doing is my quilt-as-you-go squares.  It's just too hot for yarn right now.

I hope you're all having a lovely summer.  I'm enjoying reading all of your blogs and seeing the beautiful flowers, birds and vacations.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5

Blessings,
Betsy

13 comments:

  1. Glad you are finding a way to stay cool. It hasn't been too bad today, even though the humidity was 77% this a.m. So thankful that you are alright, even though the medical bill was at heartbreaker. When aren't they? I have been working on my photos lately. Got one book done and it should be here this week. Making another one next month. I need to get some cleaning done so I better shut down this computer before it sucks me completely in! Have a blessed week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 109! Oh my goodness. That is really hot, hotter than it gets here in NM. I think we actually swapped weather this year because of El Nino; as I understand it, we're having a cooler and wetter than average summer because of it and yours is hotter and drier. I hope you're able to stay cool at the lake. Take care, Betsy, and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy.. sheesh.. sorry the tests are costing so much but I'm glad they haven't found anything bad. We are keeping somewhat cool with 2 AC units going. But it's 76 in the house at 11 pm! Sounds like you're having all kinds of good fellowship and potlucks.. I hope you have a great 4th of July! We'll go up and watch the Corbett parade, then come back and have a BBQ on the deck.. but we may have to squirt ourselves with mist from the hose! I'm going to make potato salad and orange baked beans and we'll BBQ dogs and burgers. My sister is coming and our other son and his family. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I would leave the air conditioning with that heat. I hope the rest of your tests will turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are able to stay cool, that really does sound hot. We are supposed to have a heat wave this week too. Hope all goes well with the tests, the bill doesn't sound good I am thankful we don't have that worry with the National Health system we have over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are getting the heat, and we are getting the rain. Congrats on 60 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! That is hot. We have rain and mild temps.
    So nice to read of all the potlucks. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You get that hot weather out of there before I get there, you hear??!! I'm not moving 2,000 miles for it to be 100+ degrees there too! LOL. Doesn't it figure? I hope your test goes well and you have nothing seriously wrong, Betsy. I'll be thinking of you. Medical bills are so outrageous! I'm about to get a taste of that myself when my new Washington State Healthcare insurance kicks-in in August. I would love to stop and meet you somewhere in a couple of weeks when we get to Spokane, but after four days in the car with the dogs, I know we will be so excited and ready to arrive at the new place, we will not stop. We WILL make time for that in the future though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come to Florida it is cooler here! It might be really humid but at least we have not been above 96. It sounds like you are enjoying your summer my dear Betsy. Thank you so much for your heartfelt comment on my last post. You mean the world to me. I hope all of your tests come back perfect.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny...I had been fussing to myself that you had never told me how your tests came out and now I can fuss no more! :) I'm glad the news is good so far and am praying the cost of the tests don't do you in. Mercy! Keep cool and have happy times with your family and friends! We have plans for friends to come over for the 4th and I'm hoping it is not too hot here....may have to break out the sprinklers instead of the sparklers :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely the dog days:) As much as I love the sun, I am missing the rain...we sure need it. Sorry about your medical bills. Our deductible isn't too bad this year, but I've seen policies that were quite high. I really don't feel medical costs are affordable in a lot of cases. Stay cool Betsy and think of snowy nights--while you are in air conditioned comfort of course!
    Excellent verse today!!!
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to my world. It's dang hot here. Your temperatures sure do cool off at night so that's a good thing. Even at midnight now, it is 97 degrees outside. We never get any relief. 60 years is certainly to be celebrated. Enjoy the other festivities and the lake. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are enjoying your friends and festivities . It's very hot here in Oregon also.i don't remember bing this hot ever since I moved here. Hope you have a little break from all your medicalbills( I know how you feel as this year has been pretty expensive for me with all the des I have gone to for my shoulder. Hope you have a fun 4th Of Judy my friend.

    ReplyDelete