Thursday, March 26, 2015

Baking Day

As Happy Thursday morning everyone!  I've had a busy morning in the kitchen.  I baked banana bread with those black banana's you saw on the kitchen island in my last post.  
While the bread was in the oven I mixed up these cinnamon rolls.  The name of them is "One Hour Cinnamon Rolls" and they truly only took an hour!  They are super easy and really good.  That's a 12 x 16 inch pan so you can tell they're big.  :-)
I had one for breakfast with a glass of cold milk just a few minutes ago.  Yum!!  You use yeast and buttermilk in these with cream cheese frosting.  I don't usually have much luck with yeast rising for me, but these are perfection.  I'm so happy I've finally found a good recipe as I really like cinnamon rolls.  I'll write the recipe at the end of this post in case you would llike to try them.
This afternoon the oven will be turned back on so I can make a big pan of lasagna.  We'll have it for dinner and then I'll freeze several meals of it for Dennis while I'm gone cruising.  I'll use a mix of sausage and hamburger in the lasagna.  Mandy made it like this when we visited them and it was yummy.
As promised the last of my Easter decorations.  A branch I cut off our pear tree last spring with little eggs I got on clearance at Michaels a few years ago.  I think I paid 50 cents for them.  Good deal.
Some eggs I knitted a couple of years ago.
I received these ceramic eggs from my "secret sister" at church over 30 years ago.  Originally there were five eggs, but two have been dropped by little hands over the years.  My favorite is the pink one with the cross on it so I'm glad it's still intact.
A "birds eye" view of my birds and eggs on the coffee table.
For those of you who asked or are interested, these are the immunity supplements Dennis and I have been taking.  So far, so good.  I guess the only way we'll know if they really work or not is if we get sick!  They are cheapest on Amazon, but I have also bought them at vitamin and natural food stores.
And now, here's the recipe for the cinnamon rolls.

One Hour Cinnamon Rolls (Makes 12 rolls)

Ingredients:
1 cup wam water
3/4 cup room temperature buttermilk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter 
3 TB regular yeast
1/2 TB salt
2 eggs
5-6 cups flour  ( I used five cups exactly.  However I'm over 2000 ft. above sea level, so sometimes          baking directions are a bit different here.)

Filling:
3 TB. melted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
3 TB cinnamon

Frosting:
1/4 cup softened butter
3 cups powdered sugar
4 oz. softened cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
enough milk to make the frosting spreading consistency 

Instructions:

1. In a bowl mix together water, buttermilk, sugar, melted butter and yeast. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.

2. Add in salt, eggs and flour. Mix for 10 minutes and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

3. Pepaire your filling by mixing together melted butter, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon.  Set aside. 

4. On a floured suface, roll dough into a 12 x16 inch square.

5. Spread the filling over the top and roll up.  Cut into 12 large rolls.

6. Place the rolls on a cookie sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper.

7. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

8. While baking, mix together the frosting ingredients. Spread on warm rolls and serve.

[Recipe at Lil' Luna at http:lilluna.com/one-hour-cinnamon-rolls/]

I hope you try these and let me know how you like them.  Have a wonderful afternoon.

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of God than dwell in thet tents of the wicked." Psalm 84:10

Blessings,
Betsy

12 comments:

  1. Your banana bread looks PERFECT!! I just printed the cinnamon roll recipe. You can't beat a yeast bread of any kind made in an hour. We love cinnamon rolls! I bet the ladies love coming to your house for your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so impressed with the cinnamon rolls, and only taking 1hour. I will definitely be giving them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That banana bread looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am drooling! I don't think I will try the cinnamon rolls....I couldn't stop at just one! The lasagna is one of my favs too. I also use ground beef and italian sausage in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a yummy post :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe! It is very special that you still have your pretty glass eggs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness.. you are making some yummy things! The banana bread looks perfect.. and the cinnamon rolls? Suffice it to say I just printed up the recipe. I think the best lasagna also has half ground beef and half Italian sausage.. yum! So excited for you to go on a cruise.. I've never gone on one and am dying to see the Caribbean. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could use a cinnamon and orange juice right now. I love cinnamon rolls as well. My mom used to make them from a bread recipe. I will try this one. Birds eye view of eggs and birds looks lovely. Glad cooking meals ahead will work for Dennis while you are cruising the Caribbean. You will have lots of food on the ship. Fun times. Hugs to u.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I bet your house smelled pretty yummy! Oh I wish I could dive into one of those cinnamon rolls! I have not decorated for Easter this year, I m not sure why. Maybe just a bit to busy with other things. I hope you have a wonderful first night at the trailer.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum to the idea of cinnamon rolls and hurray for the idea of having them ready in only one hour! Have a great weekend. Our youngest granddaughter is totally awake so now we are too ;-)
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betsy, you have been busy, looks truly scrumptious.

    How wonderful finding the Hoosier cupboard, it was waiting for you. Lots of people are deciding they have too much stuff they don't "love" and are enjoying freeing up space. Even before getting the Marie Kondo book I found a lot of useful information at MSE http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700. (Search for Moneysavingexpert, oldstyleforum, MarieKondothread if link doesn't work)

    Have a lovely Sunday.

    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were a busy little baker over there. I made a vegan banana cake last week and topped it with a peanut butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup frosting. Everyone loved it! :) I need to go get my little Easter egg decorations out and put them on my twig tree. I also want to crochet some little bunny motifs. Hope you are having a good weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the recipe as I love cinnamon rolls but my recipe takes lots longer! I love your Easter decor.

    ReplyDelete