Monday, November 24, 2014

Blankets and Some News.

Without further ado...the sweater I made for Sophie last Monday and forgot to post a picture of last time I posted on the blog.  It should probably have been about 2 inches longer but it was too late by the time I realized it.  She loved wearing it.
It has a series of interlocking cables down the back and a turn down ribbed collar.  Sophie has now returned home to her Mom and Dad.  The ship they were on last week made the news for having the Noro virus on it. Thankfully Larry and Nita don't seem to been affected.
A bit of snow fell on our woodpile.  Not much and it has melted now.
And look what lovely Sherri from Sherrisneedlecrafts over on my sidebar sent me last week!  How sweet it this?  I have made hundreds of these blankets in the past years and my copy looks simply awful and is almost unreadable.  Sherri found the original book somewhere and made me a color copy and put it into this folder.  I cannot believe the generosity of bloggers.  Teabags too.  I dont drink coffee but I do love a nice cuppa tea.
It not only has the blanket and matching sweater but it has a lot of other baby items as well.  I can't wait to have time to try making some of these sweet sweater and hats.  Thank you SO MUCH Sherri.  I so appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Kyleigh's sweater has begun.  The ribbing is done and since I took this picture I have finished about 4 inches of the body.  I work on it as a take along project.  I took a gentleman from church to the doctor this morning for an appointment and I got about 2 inches knitted while I waited for him.
Saturday we drove up to the lake to check on the camper since we have had our first hard freeze.  Dennis wanted to make sure things seemed to be winterized sufficiently.  All was well and Chloe and Sophie had a great time running around the field playing.

Wasn't it a beautiful view?  Just a hint of snow up on the mountains.
The grass is really GREEN behind the trailer with some pine needles mixed in.
Another blanket is put together for the Navajo reservation.  This one is about the right size for a full size bed.  I just grabbed squares at random and didn't try to put a patten of any sort together.  I like how it turned out don't you?
Now I'm putting together a red/white/blue wheelchair blanket for the local Veterans Home.  I have almost enough squares for another one.  I think I'm short 5 squares. I'll make them after Christmas gifts are completed.  I still have a sweater to make for Caleb after I finish Kyleigh's.
A bit closer look.
And now for my news.  I'm going traveling again!  This time my handsome Hubby is going with me.  My trip to D.C. was completely paid for by Brad's company.  Would you believe they flew his MIL out to help with the move?  They did.  That trip didn't cost me a dime!  And that's good because now we're going to Maui, Hawaii in December.  We leave in about two weeks and will be there eight days.  We orginally were supposed to meet Alex there.  Maui is about halfway between us and he had never been to Hawaii.  Just when we had our reservations all made, his vacation was cancelled by the University because someone with more seniority wanted the same time off.  Uh-oh!  We couldn't get a refund so off we'll go, just Dennis and I.  I'm not complaining, I know we'll have a wonderful time.  We've been there several times and we absolutely love it there.  If we could live anywhere and money was no object, Maui is definitely where both of us would choose to live.  It's paradise on earth.

So...I'm trying to get Christmas done before we go.  We have made or purchased all of the Christmas gifts except Kyleigh and Caleb's sweaters that I'm working on.  I just have to wrap the gifts.  I even have all of the stocking stuffers!  I'll mail Alex and Mandy's Christmas boxes next week so they'll have them in plenty of time to put under their trees.  Cards have all been addressed and stamped to be mailed on Friday.  I'll decorate next week too.  Ellen is staying here with Chloe and she'll be able to enjoy the decorations too.

On Thanksgiving Dennis and I will be all alone.  The plan is that instead of a big dinner I'll make chicken enchilada's and a pumpkin dump cake for dessert.  Dennis actually requested enchilada's!  I bought a turkey this morning, but that will be for Christmas when Jamie and the kids are here.

And now I'm going to try to finish up this patriotic blanket.  I would like to deliver it to the VA Home before we leave.

I hope you all have a lovely week and enjoy your time with family.

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever."  1 Chronicles 16:34

Blessings,

Betsy

18 comments:

  1. Such exciting news! I hope you have a wonderful trip. It's pretty amazing that the company paid for you to go out to DC, they must really value families. It's incredible how much money companies can spend to move people around; we had a corporate transfer eight years ago to where we live now and they paid for everything, including per diem food expenses for a month. It's really nice to see that new copy of your pattern, I've liked that blanket since I first saw yours. Take care and have a good week, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his company was very generous and paid all of their moving expenses. I like that blanket too and feel very fortunate to have a new copy of he pattern.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  2. Wow, Aloha to you both! I lived on Maui in my late teens after graduating from high school and I just love that island! I lived in Paia up in the countryside in a house we rented for $50 a month.. those were the days. I hope we get to see you this month, too! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have friends that live on the ocean just outside of Paia that we get to visit each trip. I love Maui.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  3. Hawaii, huh???? I've never been there ---but hope to someday. I've heard how gorgeous Maui is. I am very envious... Congrats!!!!!

    Love your blankets and for such needy causes... That is awesome...

    Love Sophie's sweater... Such a pretty color for a pretty girl.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments Betsy.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  4. Oh how exciting to be going to Hawaii! :) You just have to take lots of pictures for us...how exciting! :) I love Sophie's sweater, it looks just perfect on her. The blankets are lovely as well. You are always so sweet to think of others and make things to keep them warm. Blessings to you always sweet friend and safe travels, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Maui! Of all the Hawaiian islands, it is my favorite. I hope you have an awesome time there :-)
    Mmm! Chicken enchiladas. Yum.
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I'm so pleased you received your pattern ok. Terry and I are going to Maui next year don't know when but that's our plan. Let me know how you like it. Be blessed and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow my friend, as usual you are always so busy... I love the doggie sweater, so pretty, it matches her perfectly. Love that you are going to Maui, how wonderful! I bet it's going to be warm there also. And the blankets show generous of you to put it all together.... Have fun in Hawaii my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous! First, of Sophie's sweater! A cable sweater!!! In pink too. Wow!
    Secondly, of Hawaii! Good for you two. I hope your trip is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You knitted that sweater for Sophie in one day? Wonderful! It's so cute on her. I love the cables. Your charity blankets look nice too. You are going on vacation to Hawaii!!! How fun! Totally jealous here. We aren't doing anything for Thanksgiving either. Hubby is working 7a-7p that day, but then he's off Friday thru Sunday. No crocheting going on over here much. I'm still doing a row on the doily at night, but sometimes nothing at all. It's not a huge doily so I don't know why it's taking me so long. Just not much interest lately in the actual crocheting, but I've done a lot of looking at everybody else's. I have that baby blanket, bootie, and sweater pattern, but I've never made it. Nice of her to send you a fresh copy. Have a nice Holiday week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!!! I so admire all your stitching, Betsy! Blessings on your Maui trip :) Happy Thanksgiving! Looking forward to seeing you soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come on over to my house for dinner, I'd love to have you both. You are amaizng, all that you do for others Betsy. I am so glad you are going to go to Hawaii, so sorry your son will not be able to make it but you and Dennis have been apart so much lately it might just be perfect to be together.
    Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sophie's sweater is adorable! My kids keep trying to talk me into knitting one for our Molly. :) And, wow, but you are busy, busy, aren't you?! Such beautiful blankets! Happy Thanksgiving and love to you, Betsy! *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah wonderful post as usual Betsy wont chat long as in hurry but love the wee sweater and also the blanket for VA home is really great..

    oh and yes and wonderful blessing of book trip to Maui, going to pray you meet up with Alex some time anyway.. you just never know with LORD may not be then, :D every blessing, Shaz.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's too bad about Alex but nice that you will enjoy it regardless. I've never been but I have a old friend that lives there. You are so organized! And even making gifts for charity too...you're amazing! Have a great time in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting, Betsy. I'm sorry Alex won't be able to meet you but I know you and Dennis will have a great time. I can't get over how much you get done. Apparently the procrastination fairy doesn't know the way to your house! Of course, she moved in with me bag and baggage so I guess she likes it here. :)
    Have a safe trip, dear friend.
    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete