Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mittens and Flowers! Oh My!

Happy Tuesday afternoon to you all! Here I am. Back from the lake early this week because of the dreaded annual physical early tomorrow morning and then acupuncture on my feet in the afternoon. I've been neglectful of taking care of my feet and now I'm hobbling around again. I never want to leave the lake in the summer for a Dr. appt. so I haven't had a treatment since January or February. I am paying the price now though. Rather than have to drive in early, I decided to just come home and get a few things done this afternoon. I've neglected my poor house dreadfully this summer but it doesn't look too bad. Do you think that that maybe it's because we're never in it? I vacummed and mopped the camper this morning and wiped all of the woodwork down. My goodness it gets dusty in there! Now I get to do it all at home too. Fun times.

But look what I have to show you since I last posted. More mittens!


It seems that I can get about 5 pairs out of each skein of Loops & Thread yarn. The yellow is really bright isn't it? I think little children will like that happy color. I've made two sizes and on Sunday I had two children at church try them on for size. The smallest should work for most K-2 graders and the bigger ones will be good for 3-5 I think. What do you think of the pattern? Do you think children will really want to wear these?

The gentleman that plants and takes care of the HUGE garden at the lake came by our camper Sunday night and gave me a nice bouquet of flowers. He's "retiring" from the resort work and doing only the garden next year, or so he says. If I remember right, he said the same thing last fall. He's 89 years old! The garden is huge but he still works 5 days a week doing maintenance for the resort. You'll see him up in the bucket of a bulldozer trimming limbs on a 95 degree day as if it were nothing. This is his second career. He actually worked as a business man until he retired at 65 and then started the job he loves. That is his word, not mine. I hope to have half of his energy even next year. Ha! So here are some pictures of the flowers he gave me. I don't know what any of them are, but I think they're beautiful. Teresa, I'm sure you can name each and every one!


Aren't they just gorgeous? God did an amazing thing when he created the flowers didn't he? Each one so different. Look at those perfect leaves. I look at His creation and I wonder how anyone can believe it just happened out of a "big bang" in the universe.

Barry also gave me some yummy squash. I had an acorn squash for dinner last night. Hubby had a late meeting and didn't come out to the lake so I just baked the squash with a little butter and brown sugar and that was my dinner. Yum!!!!


Do you see the bumblebee? He sat on this flower for a long, long time. It's right outside of the camper and he was there at least two hours. When I checked just before bedtime, poof, he was gone.


This was this morning and I was struck by the absolute stillness of the water. My photography skills leave lots to be desired, but it was just gorgeous how everything reflected perfectly.

Thank you all for your well wishes for Hubby's hand. It was Sunday before the swelling eased and it's still red where the bee stung him. I've never seen him have a reaction like that.

Okay. I'm off to clean a bit and then knit on some more mittens. Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!

Blessings,
Betsy

Edited to add: I just checked the mail and had a lovely surprise from Sherri in Nevada. She sent a gift of money to help with the mittens too! Thank you so much Sherri! I'll try to get out tomorrow or Thursday to get more yarn and I'll post a picture as soon as I do.

Thank you so much!

11 comments:

  1. You're a busy little bee! That is so neat that someone else sent some $$$ so you can make more mittens for the little ones! Gorgeous photo of the still lake. Those are dahlias, but I'm not sure of the names of the different ones. How nice of him to gift you with those! Gracie and I had lunch with each other today and she told me how beautiful your home was when she visited. I look forward to us 4 girls lunch next month! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely dahlias and I LOVE your photos of them! This link will help you if you are looking for their classification; you will also see photos of the different kinds on the same site (BTW, you would love it there!):http://www.dahlias.com/dahliaclassification.aspx
    Love the children's mittens and the lake--looks like paradise!
    I've never had acupuncture before for my feet, but it sure worked wonders for the horrible headaches I had when I was working. Hope it helps you!
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa: They're all dahlia's??? Wow! I didn't realize that there was such a variety. I'm looking forward to next month too.

    Aimee: I can't believe they're all dahlia's! Thanks for the link, I'm going to look them up. :-)
    I was walking with two canes about a year and a half ago...until I tried acupuncture. I'm so happy I did. It worked miracles. Three foot doctors couldn't fix them, but a few acupuncture treatments and viola! They were SO much better.

    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo of the lake is so gorgeous! Lucky you for getting to spend time there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle: I think so too! I'm so incredibly blessed to have the Hubby I do. Although I worked for over 35 years full-time, I am so happy to have our little lake camper.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are so lovely. I am with you, how anyone can look at nature and not believe in God is beyond me, too!

    Glad your hubby's hand is getting better. :)

    Those mittens are so adorable, I am most certain that the little ones will love them.

    Blessings always sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely job you are doing with the mittens. They looks absolutely lovely and I love the colors your chose. Wonderful,
    ,

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful flowers! I think the top ones are dahlias?
    The mittens look wonderful, I'm sure they will be well used.
    Good luck for your doctors appointment x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mittens AND the flowers! The mittens look knitted. Are they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm I missed this post, but am glad to view it now and enjoy seeing the lake and flowers and mittens! Sooo glad that Dennis's hand is healing!!!
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what fabulous Dahlias. Gorgeous colours.
    Thank you for your kind commentDH's surgery went really well and he is recovering very quickly. Our GD continues to cope amazingly well and we all hope next month's check up will be a good one.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete