Friday, March 16, 2018

Spring?!?!

Happy Friday afternoon everyone!  The sun is shining here and although it is very chilly out, in the sunshine it feels almost like sweater weather.  I was outside a little while ago and guess what I spied in my raised garden bed?
Rhubarb!  My rhubarb is already trying to make an appearance.  This is very promising indeed my friends!  Spring must be on it's way.

I've been doing some organizing of our office/craft room since we can get rid of all of the old computer stuff, keyboard, monitor, etc.  I've spent a few hours each of the past couple of days reorganizing my yarn closet too and trying to get the chaos under control.  Well, at least as much as possible.

I had fun sorting through my Mom's old button box.  There are some gems here.
 I also found a metal tatting shuttle.  I would love to learn to tat, but haven't seen classes anywhere close by and the utube videos I've seen haven't done the trick for me.  And just look at the glass buttons!  I remember watching my Mom take buttons off of worn out clothing.  It wouldn't have crossed her mind to throw them away.  She was a child of the great depression.  The material was used as rags and buttons, zippers, snaps, etc. were ALL re-used.
 I got a kick out of the prices on the buttons that were still on cards.
 Wooden buttons too.
 I couldn't get this picture to turn for some reason, but look at those big ones!  I love to go through old buttons.  I still have another whole tin I haven't looked through.
When I finished, I kept the buttons on cards in a box, but I put the loose ones in a pretty glass jar on my sewing machine cabinet so I can see the sun sparkling off of them.

I also put out a few Easter/spring decorations.  I crocheted this flower garland several years ago.  It stays out for most of the spring and summer but the bunny will go back into storage after Easter. 
 A cute little egg tree.  I have it "planted" in an old Starbucks frappacino glass bottle filled with birdseed. It works great.
 The storage cabinet under the TV with grand child photos and knitted Easter eggs.  I'll have to get a better picture for you next time.
 This was my splurge this year.  Isn't this little family of bunnies the cutest thing you've seen in a long time?  I've been eyeing it at Hobby Lobby for a couple of months but just couldn't justify the $19.99 price.  Then when I stopped in on Tuesday, (just to "LOOK" at the yarn, you know), the bunnies were on sale for 40% off all spring decor.  On top of that there was an in store manager percentage off.  Then I had $6.11 left on a gift card Miss Piper gave me for Christmas.  I ended up giving them $1.03 for this cute little bunny family.  That seemed like a good bargain to me.
I have made a couple of  dishcloths since I wrote a few days ago and that's about it.  I've been doing several hours of cleaning every day.  I think spring fever has hit and I want to get the house in order before we go camping for the summer.

Update on my tooth.  The endodontist said he is the one who did the original root canal 9 years ago but the tooth is now cracked which is allowing infection around the roots of the tooth.  It has three roots instead of the normal two which he said makes the root canal even more challenging.  His advice was to pull the tooth because chances are that this second root canal would go bad in a few years too, because of the crack.

So next week I see an oral surgeon on Tuesday and it's scheduled to be pulled on Thursday.  Three different dentists and three consultation fees in addition to their actual charges of xrays, exams, etc.  This is getting very expensive for a tooth that will be pulled next week.  Oh well.  What will be, will be, right?

I would like to ask you for prayers for my brother-in-law Mike and my sister Melanie.  Mike is battling cancer and is back in the hospital with yet another infection.  Because of the chemo he has no white blood cells to fight the infections he keeps getting.  I miss being with Melanie to help and encourage her through all of this.  Melanie, I know you're reading this.  Huge hugs and lots of love to you both.  Just think of me coloring with you, side by side. -:)

We'll have a house full again this weekend.  Alicia and the boys are coming this afternoon to spend the weekend with Jeremy here at our house.  It's always fun to hear kids voices around the house and the boys love Chloe.  She's exhausted when they go home and sleeps for days! :-)

I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed weekend.  I know snow and ice are hitting much of the midsection of the country today.  Melanie said she's been watching rain/sleet out of the hospital windows in Omaha so to those of you in the path of the storm I pray for safety.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galations 5:22-23

Blessings,
Betsy


15 comments:

  1. My Mom reclaimed buttons, zippers, snaps, etc. from garments, and I tend to save them as well, especially since buttons are so expensive. I keep my in a large clear container, too.

    Cloudy and dreary this afternoon. I don't know if the moisture will be rain or snow, but I hope it's the former.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your tooth troubles and of course all the issues with your BIL. You will all be in my prayers Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing your mom's button collection. My mom was also a product of the depression and were pretty poor, they had 12 kids! So, she also never wasted a thing. I'm glad your Spring things are starting to come up, I know you're not a fan of winter and neither am I. Your tooth situation is awful.. I hope it's not too awful. I have a molar that needs a crown and I've put it off for way too long. Have a super weekend, my friend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your vintage button collection. I've got a button tin from my great grandma and I love going through it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betsy, for some weird blogger reason I can’t comment on your blog on Safari anymore but have to come over to Chrome on my iPad ... no idea why, Chrome and blogger are related .. ie both google and maybe reason, but always has done it up till a few weeks back. Took me while to twig!
    Well teeth truly are a trial and blessing in one. I’ve lost a total of three root canal teeth. In fact two of extractions were complex indeed. One had to be done in hospital daddy surgery and sinus badly affected so feel for you in it all. Seems rough that you pay 💰 lots for root canal then 💰 pay lots to have it out but when you’ve immune system issue with chronically affecting health conditions like you have and I have had all my life. When sixteen I had an eye tooth growing across the roof of my mouth cut out! Mm that wasn’t fun either.
    However you will be prayed for on Tues and Thurs especially for mercies and grace in abundance and for wise caring treatment. My 89yo unsaved dad Mike has three extracted on April 13th as he’s on warfarin blood thinning agent it’s a tricky procedure so covering him in prayer too.
    Sending hugs and much prayer 🙏🏻 from. Downunder.

    Love your decorations and the wee bunny family “Welcome” group is gorgeous. I love the way God honours His word that He will give us “the desires of our heart” so often He touches our day with such sweetness.
    Praise His glorious Name above all Names!!!
    Hugs and prayers dear friend...
    .....I’m still not blogging. Tad overwhelmed with things in general, much to do.. am making cards just not sharing.
    Love in Jesus’ Sweet Name, Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for your loved ones. Your patience paid off on your cute Easter bunny family. Nice find.
    As for the tooth, I just went through a similar process. The tooth is pulled and Now we are waiting for full healing etc for 3 months. Then the screw is placed, then the implant tooth ....it is quite the long process. I will say Having that tooth out has been a real joy. It was not happy for the last few months. So I hope it goes really well for you, as it has for me Dear Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always promising to see plant life emerging from the soil. That is a fantastic button collection. Your mom was a smart lady as were many before the industrialization and mass production took over our lives. Now everything is disposable and our planet and its creatures are suffering because of it. Thinking of your sister and her husband and lifting them up in prayer. Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a darling bunny family and one can't beat the price! You are so ready for spring and your decorations look so nice. What fun to have company to enjoy them. I have my Mom's button box also. It is a tin box and I have even used some of the buttons out of it. Congratulations on getting so much cleaning and organizing done! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww sweet little bunny family. What a great score on them, too. Goodness your tooth sounds painful. I pray your surgery is quick and the gums heal quickly sweet friend. Also sending prayers for your Sister and BIL. It's always so hard to fight off things when you are already fighting cancer. Love all your decorations. So festive. The buttons are awesome. I have a few in a container, too from my Mama. She saved all buttons, and used the old clothes as rags, too. I do the same. I think it's foolish to buy rags, when you can always just use old clothes and sheets and stuff. Wishing you a day full of blessings sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Betsy! I am so sorry to know that Mike is not doing well. I am continuing to pray for him and believe God for the miracle he needs. Bless your dear sister's heart...and yours, too. I know how it is to have a sister going through this and not be able to be there with her. My dear Mom always told me that prayer is a long-range weapon. It will reach as far as it needs to. May God comfort ALL of your hearts as you face these difficult days. My heart surely goes out to you. Keep encouraged, and enjoy your company. I trust your dental work is not too painful for you. Will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you and your BIL, Betsy. Loved your button photos; They are fun to collect, aren't they? Sending lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer to have a tooth pulled after you had a root canal some years passed. No fun! I had a root canal too and a bridge installed on the opposite side of my mouth. Annoying at times but I live with it. Hopefully Mike will be better soon and Melanie to be uplifted in our prayers as well as Mike. I love the old buttons of your mom's. My mom had some of the same ones! I have been slowly working at cleaning. Just finally got all the blankets washed from our bedroom! Refreshing! Hugs and blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your buttons. I have several tins of my Mom's too. Fun to look through them. Nice score on your bunny family.

    Prayers for you and your BIL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. dropping by .Happy spring

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of your Mike and Melanie and I am asking the Lord for faith and healing and comfort for them. I enjoyed playing in my mom's button box that lives down in Burbank now with my sister. Your bargain bunnies encourage me to smile. I drove up the coast on Thursday and Friday last week and it was gorgeous even though there was a bit of snow and rain along the way. I saw signs of Spring in a pretty patch of wild yellow water lilies along the way! xx

    ReplyDelete