Thursday, July 23, 2026

It's been awhile...

Hello Everyone. It's been awhile since I've put a post up. Nothing earth shattering has been happening here. We've had several people at our church pass away and Dennis and I have been working at the luncheons and helping to organize them.  It's also been blistering hot, with a feels like temperature of 113F three days ago. Today it's a bit cooler and I thought I would try to get a post out. 

I've been going to water aerobics at the pool here three mornings a week and then I've just collapsed in the A/C for the rest of the day. Seriously. I haven't even been crocheting or knitting much. Mostly just coloring on my iPad and watching movies.

This coming Sunday we have a camping trip with our gang planned until Wednesday. We're going to a Corps of Engineer park in Iowa that we've stayed at before. It's only a little over a hundred miles away but I'm really not excited about it. It's supposed to be 100F again one day and in the upper 90's the other days we're there. I DO NOT tolerate heat well so I'll probably be sitting inside the camper most of the time. I truly enjoy everyone's company and we also have one lady staying with us in our camper so I know we'll have a good time, but I really don't like the extreme heat and humidity.

I did finish one blanket and have another  being made now, but for almost a month this is pitiful for me. 


I don't know if I'm just a bit down or what, but I have no excuse for not visiting your blogs or posting on here. I feel like I don't have much to write about that's different. It's the same old, same old every day. I've just kind of been a "blob." Well, except for the water aerobic's which I've truly enjoyed and I didn't think I would like and the funerals that I really would have rather not had to go to. I've gotten to know several ladies here in the condo's at the pool that I didn't know before ,which is really nice.

My sister went to our cousin's retirement party a couple of weeks ago and she had these photos on display. Melanie texted them to me and it was a lot of fun to see them. The first is our paternal grandparents on their wedding day sometime around 1918. Andrew John Saathoff and Dena Wilhelmina Hoefling Saathoff. They both came to the US as immigrants as babies in the late 1800's by ship and through Ellis Island. 

This is the Grandma that taught me to crochet, bake and sew. She left me her treadle sewing machine but my step-mother wouldn't let me have it. My step-mom was not a nice lady. I loved my grandma so much. I spent two weeks with her every summer until I started working. I loved that time with her. We would have tea and cookies every night before bed. Mine was more milk than tea, but I felt so grown up. It was our tradition and we never missed doing it. I also loved watching Lawrence Welk with her. So many wonderful memories. I was told that my grandpa's hands were so big they couldn't find a ring so he had a piece of pipe cut for him to wear. He passed when I was very small so I don't remember him as well.


This is my sister Melanie and me. I'm the little one. :-) She still has that same smile and mischievous spirit. When we were little, I never would have thought we would be so close and I would love her so much as adults. (She was a "bit" mean to me as kids.) And by that I mean a LOT mean to me. Ha! Ha! Now she loves me too and we really enjoy spending time together. That is one of the biggest perks to being back in Omaha for me.


That's about it. Dennis and I took Piper to lunch today at Cheddar's and then Papa came home and Piper and I went to three different Targets in search of school supplies. I can't believe that things are already sold  out. We still didn't find everything. She came over Tuesday afternoon and spent a few hours at the pool with Papa and me. That made four hours in the pool for me that day and even with sunscreen I got a burn. I'm trying to stay out of the sun for a few days to let it heal.

I hope you're all well and I'll try to be better about visiting you all. 

Blessings and love,

Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment