Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Home Sweet Home

Hello Everyone!

We're home now but I have a few photos and a tale of woe for you.

Here I am with some friends at the General Store on the Ulapauakua Ranch in upcountry Maui.  They were full of wisdom for me. :-)
Have any of you ever driven the infamous Highway to Hana?  It's quite an adventure.
This is the only winery on Maui, right across from the general store.  Isn't it cute?
Mama's Fish House is a must when you visit.  This my lunch of coconut prawns.
This was Dennis' lunch.  Wild Boar, Fresh Tuna, octopus, poi and a couple of things I cant remember.
My handsome Hubby and I under the Banyan tree in Lahaina.  This tree takes up an entire city block.
We visited the sugar plantation and saw this beautifully decorated Christmas tree.
A close up of one of the decorations.
The Tree topper.
This was a Ford truck used years ago on the plantation.  It's been beautifully restored.

Do you see the black line in the middle of the ocean?  The fin sticking up?  That's a whale right outside our room.  The only camera I had was my iPhone so I couldn't zoom very well but it gives you a perspective how exactly how close it was.  It played in that area for about a half hour before cruising northward.
A short tale of woe.  Our room or lanaii was inhabited by a spiders nest somewhere.  Every night we were bitten, Hubby much, much worse than I was.  He has 16-20 bites on his legs!  Our condo would do nothing until Monday- we had reported the problem the Wednesday before.  By Monday morning we had enough and came home two days early so Hubby could see a doctor for the bites.  Please keep him in your thoughts, a couple don't look very nice but the doctor thinks he got the antibiotic process started quick enough to avoid problems.  Alhough we did have a few things we did that were enjoyable, overall it was not a fun trip and was very stressful.  I spent most of the time washing bedding and cleaning the condo trying to find the spiders.  A lot of money was spent on a not so fun vacation since we couldn't swim, hot tub or walk on the beach after the first night

Oh well, we are very, very, very happy to be back home.  On Friday early in the morning I have a flight to Portland to have lunch with Gracie, Teresa, Taci and Becky at Taci's new house.  I'm renting a car there and then I'll fly back home that evening.  I'm looking forward to seeing my girlfriends!  The only drawback is having to be at the airport by 4:30 in the morning!

I'll leave you with a picture of Piper that Mandy texted me this afternoon.  They baked cookies this morning and then after Piper's nap they decorated them.  The picture is the aftermath of decorating and tasting the cookies!  So cute!
Have a lovely, lovely day my friends.  I'm sorry I've fallen behind on reading some blogs while away but I'll try to do better now.
Blessings,
Betsy

16 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the spiders and I do hope your husband has a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Betsy, I'm so sorry about the spider bites.. but at least it wasn't something worse. I just wish you'd found one so it could have been identified! I'm just glad you're home and won't get bit anymore and Dennis can begin the healing process. I'm so looking forward to seeing you on Friday! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mercy! Spider bites sound awful!! Praying Dennis and you heal quickly. I love the photos you shared of the beautiful things you saw, including the whale playing near you :) I am so looking forward to time with you at Taci's on Friday! Praying for safe travel for you, Betsy. Love, Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a bit of fun before the spiders ruined it all. Glad you and Dennis are safely home and he is doing ok. See you Friday. Maybe you can get some sleep on the plane to Portland. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry my dear friend. It's so hard to plan such an expensive trip and not be able to enjoy it. I'm glad you both are home and safe. Can't wait to see you Friday. Piper looks soooo adorable. I bet you miss her terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how terrible to happen to you there. I am sorry to hear of this. I am praying for Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's not good. I'm so sorry your trip was spoiled by the spiders. I know you are glad to be back home. Have fun with the girls at lunch on Friday. Be safe. Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you both did not get to enjoy your vacation. Sending prayers that the meds will work and your Hubby will be back on the mend very soon. Loved your pictures. Sending prayers your way for safe travels to see the ladies. I know you will all have a blast. Blessings always sweet friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BIG bummer!! That really sucks to spend money on a vacation like that and not completely enjoy it, much less have spiders lurking and biting you! The picture of you two is great. I had to look twice at that first one. I first though those were real men! Shows how much I pay attention. That was a real treat to get to see the whale splashing around out your window. Very cool. Home sweet home, eh? Piper is just adorable in that picture! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello There, I enjoyed your post today but was sick to learn about the spiders.. Believe I'd sue the condo people and get my money back for at least the housing plus doctor's costs --PLUS pain and suffering. That is uncalled for. Seems like there is something you can do... Sorry it spoiled your trip.

    Sorry also that I haven’t been around much lately. I do try to read blogs—but just haven’t commented very much lately like I usually try to do. Please don’t give up on me. Hopefully my life will be back to ‘normal’— whatever that is (ha), sometime in January.

    I did get a cortisone shot in my knee —which has helped with the pain somewhat. In January, I will most likely have meniscus tear surgery…. BUT—in the meantime, I plan to have a fantastic Christmas —and hopefully get to see my kids/grands… God is Good.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like paradise but I am so sorry to hear about the spiders - that would totally have freaked me out I'm afraid. I do hope your and your hubby are healing quickly.

    Have a safe trip to Portland, please give my love to the girls!

    Helenxx

    PS thank you Betsy for playing Santa for me ;) glad the package arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here I thought with that first photo that you were having the time of your life. By the way you look stunning in it. I am so sorry the trip was not as much fun as you had thought it was going to be. Sometimes home is the very best place of all. As the wise Dorthy said, "There is no place like home!". I hope Dennis heals quickly. But you did get to see whales and that is incredible.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Betsy, I'm so sorry to read that you didn't get to enjoy Maui as much this time. We have driven to Hana, and once is enough for me! I get terribly car sick and it was a Doozey of a winding road!!! We love Mama's and go every time we are there. When we stayed at Sugar Beach, we loved to sit on lanai tonwatchbthe sea life go by. No whales, but lots of turtles and sharks last time. Your first photo, in up country, oh my, you look so fabulously stunning!!!!
    Little Piper is a doll! I know you miss her terribly!
    Do have a wonderful time with girls, and wish them all well for me!!!
    I certainly hope your husband will be feeling better soon. So awful to have had such a thing happen while on vacation!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry your trip didn't go as planned. I am not a fan of Hawaiian spiders having a "interesting" experience with a rather gigantic one while in the bathroom on the big island one day! Luckily none of us had anymore encounters with spiders while there.
    Love the flowers in the Christmas tree -- what a beautiful idea! And Piper is as cute as ever! Hope your trip and time today with your blogger friends was a good one.
    Blessings, Aimee
    PS: Wishing your hubby a quick and complete recovery from his bites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear that you had to end your trip early. That's a shame. We went to Hawaii on family vacation when I was 14 ... not too fun for me at the time because all my mom wanted to do was hike. We barely made it to the beach. I only cared about boys, not hiking to dormant volcanoes. Ha! Anyways, too bad about the spiders. I hope your hubby's bites will heal up quickly. That Piper is too darn cute. Have fun with the girls. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very sorry to hear about the spiders. That sounds kind of scary, actually. I hope your husband's legs heal quickly. I have had some bad experiences with spider bites myself, so I understand. Actually, we had a bad experience on our honeymoon, which involved terrible sunburns and we only had ourselves to blame for it, but I know how disappointing and frustrating it is to end up with a bad vacation experience after you've spent lots of money and traveled a long distance. I'm sorry that happened to you guys. Your vacation looks very nice otherwise, I'm glad you had a chance to go to Hawaii. I've always wanted to go and I hope I'll be able to eventually. Piper looks so cute! She much be very excited for Santa Claus to come. I hope you had nice time lunching with the ladies. Take care and have a very happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete