Thursday, August 16, 2018

Same song, second verse...

Happy Wednesday!  Remember last week when I said it was smokey?  Well, that was nothing compared to this week.  We've  been in the unhealthy/hazardous air quality all week.  I woke up at the lake Tuesday morning and this was what I was greeted with.  You all know how close the lake is to our trailer and I could barely see the water.
 This was the sun when I took Chloe for her walk that morning.  My nose was running, my eyes were stinging and my head throbbed, all from the smoke.  I decided to go home to the air conditioning.
 The view from home wasn't much better.  This is the view of Mt. Spokane.  What?  You can't see it you say?  Nope.  Smoke is blocking it completely.
 There is a monastery in the picture below that is usually very visible from our house.  Not now.  So many fires all around us.  Four new ones started yesterday.  Our relatives from around the country say the only fires they hear about on the news are the California fires.  I know they are terrible.  I would never try to say that the utter devatation there isn't awful because it truly is.  But...Washington, Oregon, Canada and Montana are all on fire too.  Glacier Park is closed because of fires.  And it's not on the news for some reason.  I guess we just aren't as much of a concern to the news media as California.  I have heard of at least 3 people that have died because of the smoke here in eastern Washington.  Every day I get a recorded message from my cardiologist's office to stay inside the A/C and not be outside.  This is becoming a yearly occurance in August.  We never had smoke like this until 2014.  I wonder why there are so many fires all of the sudden?   We have not had any measurable rain for the last three months, meanwhile it's flooding on the east coast!
 So, I've been staying inside knitting or going in my car to various places with the A/C going full blast. :-)  In the photo below I'm watching the "Little Bobbins" knitting podcast while knitting on a scarf for a Christmas gift.
 In process.
A closer photo so you can see the pattern a bit better.  I did finish the scarf late last night.  The pattern is called "The Dudester" and is free on Ravelry.  I used Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn" in the Marled Denim colorway.  I started knitting an "Antler Toque" to match this morning.  It is a Tin Can Knits pattern that can be purchased on Ravelry.  I've made several Antler Toques before and it is a great pattern.  I will also make a pair of mittens to go with the scarf and hat.
 I have  been doing some reading this week.  I really enjoy Debbie Macombers writing and have most of her books.  This one, "Cottage by the Sea" is her latest and I read the entire book in two afternoons.  I highly recommend it for some light reading.  It's loosely based on a true story about the mudslide in Oso, Washington a few years ago that killed many people.
I realized I had missed several of her books when they came out, so I placed an Amazon order for three books.  This one will be my next read.
Guess who started kindergarten on Tuesday?  Isn't she the cutest thing?  She face-timed with me after school that day and told me all about it.  So far, so good.  She loves it.  Mandy texted yesterday though, that they already had to lock down the school on Wednesday because of a suspicious person.  The police came and took him away and all was okay, but oh my!  Scary, scary, scary for the parents.  What a world we're now living in.
Dennis is on vacation next week and we had planned to stay at the lake and have a staycation there.  He's exhausted and really needs the down time.  Who knows now?  We may just have to stay home.  We won't tell many people we're at home and can watch movies, sleep late, etc.  We'll go day by day and decide what to do.  The important thing is to spend time together and just enjoying each other isn't it?

Not much else exciting is happening here because I'm just staying inside, knitting and reading.  Oh, and vacumming and normal stuff like that! :-)
I hope you are all enjoying the last days of summer.  Has school begun where you live?  Our's doesn't begin until after Labor Day.

"May the God of hope full you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

and

"Above all else guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." Proverbs 4:23

Blessings always,
Betsy

19 comments:

  1. Hope you get some rain soon to put out those fires. We went through a year like that in 2008 --- it was AWFUL!!! So many homes destroyed and the fires raged from June through the whole summer.

    Schools in our township start on Sept. 4. The Philadelphia schools start a week earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Piper! What a big girl. She's so pretty. I hope she had a wonderful first day and a great year is ahead. We have lockdowns fairly often at my kids' school. It's not in the best of neighborhoods (it's not our own neighborhood school, it's an alternative school in the district that we prefer for its program, in spite of the dicey neighborhood), so they get a lot of vagrants and weird people hanging around, especially early in the morning. I think they often sleep in the arroyo behind the school and wander over. They had to lock down once last year when one of these people was trying to get into the building. Scary. I'm sorry to hear about the smoke continuing. I hope you have a change in the wind soon, at least, but it would be even better to have rain. Take care and stay busy inside in the a/c, I know you will find plenty to do and stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such terrible fires everywhere in the west, and everyday the smoke seems to get thicker. The scarf has such a nice stitch pattern. I hope Dennis can enjoy his vacation whatever you decide to do.

    School starts here next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those fires. I am more educated because of you. Im so sorry. IM glad your cardiologist calls each day. SMART. Oh PIPEr and that awful scare. I hope she was oblivious.......Bless our schools, students and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smoke! And I mean literally. That's just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smoke has caused unhealthy air warnings here, too, but yours is worse and more prolonged. Like you I am sorry for all who are suffering loss. So glad Miss Piper had a good first day at school! As always your stitching inspires me. May the Lord bless your vacation time. The last few days I have been especially encouraged by reading Psalm 34:1-10 and marveling at the Lord's mercy and faithfulness to us. Today at Bible study we focused on the Fruit of the Spirit, joy. His joy is our strength, isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smoky here, too, the past couple of days. It's a bit better this evening, and I hope it is for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, they aren't mentioning all the places where there are fires. I didn't even know parts of Canada are burning until someone on Instagram posted about the smoke near her. Another blog friend posted about burning embers someone left behind at a campsite they were passing by, even though there are fires burning everywhere. It's irresponsible people that cause all this devastation. Really and truly terrible. Just saw an interview with the Interior Secretary who believes all these fires could be avoided if the forests were cleared and logged rather than being preserved, so once again, regulations will be rolled back and abuse of the land in yet another way will be implemented. Definitely stay inside and take care of yourself. Thank goodness for hobbies. I love Debbie Macomber's books, too. So easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart goes out to all those who are affected by the fires Worldwide. Thank goodness you have your hobbies to keep you busy inside. Thinking of you and hoping you and Dennis have a wonderful break spending quality time together. Miss Piper looks so grown up on her first day of school. Here on the Island the children went back to school yesterday but the Grandchildren don't go back until September, they all live in England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about all of the fires and SMOKE... It's a good thing though that you enjoy knitting and reading, because I'd go crazy if I couldn't be outside a lot each day... Bless your heart...

    Miss Piper is just the cutest thing.. Sorry about the scare though... GOSH--our country/world is getting harder and harder for us to enjoy a peaceful, trusting life out there...

    God Bless You..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Piper is so cute. It is too bad that the kids can't go to school and be safe. I am concerned about four of our grandkids in school and our daughter in law teaches in a school. One is not safe anywhere and we just have to commit it to Jesus. Love that scarf you are making. What is an Antler Toque? Near here the kids started school this week. Stay well in all that smoke. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my yes, Betsy, the smoke has been horrific, and you're right, the smoke wasn't like this until 2014. Not sure what has changed, but it sure has made August a miserable month. And the wasps are just horrible too! Can't have any meat outside at all. I hope you and Dennis have a wonderful staycation! Sometimes that is the best kind :) Sweet Piper, she is so precious, and what a fun picture Mandy took! I always love seeing what knitting projects you are up to, you are so talented :) Take care, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Piper starting kindergarten already? She's so cute and a smart girl too! We had quite a lot of smoke in the air this week too. Lifted Thurs eve and it's been clear but still see a bit of smoke lingering. A bit of wind helps it stay away...for now! Sorry you've not been able to enjoy the lake this year due to smoke conditions and praying you and Dennis have a good week. Nice scarf! I enjoy Debbie Macomber books too but have limitied amount of time to read. Possible apt for Justin's family...will know in a few days. Take care, stay cool and be blessed my friend! x Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. The smoke is bad here too. Air quality warnings are out. Your scarf is lovely! Sounds like you have been keeping busy. Sometimes staycations are a really good thing and more fun than you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, dear friend! I am SO sorry to hear of the fires in your area! I know what you mean, they do not mention them at all in the news. I think that is just terrible. I sure hope the air clears up very soon for you. Little Miss Piper is must adorable, and I cannot believe they already had this scare. We are surely living in the perilous times our Lord prophesied about. God bless you and always keep you all and little Piper safe in His tender care. Sending love and hugs your way today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I wish the smoke would blow away. Love the scarf you made. I just read that book you just finished and I liked it a lot, too! I will have to try that 2nd book, too. Piper looks so cute all set for school! I hope she has a wonderful year. I'm home and glad about it.. this month has been way to hectic and stressful for me.. even if there were good things too. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sending thoughts of cooling winds and rain to get rid of that smoke and put the fires out. This year there have been so many...and in so many different places! Have a great vacation with Dennis no matter where you end up. Piper is just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness when did that little sweet pea grow up to go to kingergarten?She's so precious. I'm going to do a crochet along or at least I hope of a granny square purse I saw online. Have a blessed rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Betsy, I feel so sorry for you. We didn't start getting bad smoke until last Saturday. Stay inside . . . this would be the perfect time to finished some old projects that you've wanted to have time for.
    God bless you.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete