Tuesday, December 5, 2017

COLD....

Happy Tuesday Morning everyone!  It's turned cold here the past few days.  Brrrr.  We were supposed to get several inches of snow Saturday night but it bypassed us, thankfully, and covered the mountains around us instead.  This picture was taken about a block from our house.  I dread the day when they decide to "improve" this area and develop it into something.  They have cut so many trees down near us to build yet another storage facility.  Personally, I think we all have too much "stuff" anyway and they are destroying all of this beauty in the name of progress.  Oops!  I better jump down from this soapbox now.  Excuse me for a moment while I try to crawl down without hurting myself.  :-)
Sophie went home with her Mom and Dad Sunday night.  They had a lovely cruise to Mazatlán and Cabo San Lucas.  Another cruise is planned for February and Sophie will be back for another visit with Chloe.
We had an ordination at church on Sunday.  Chad was ordained as the new youth pastor.  He is a wonderful young man that we've known for almost 25 years.  He has a wife and two sweet babies.  You can't see Dennis because of this angle, but he is right behind the guy on the left front.  That's Troy, our senior minister whom we've also known for almost 25 years.  He was the youth pastor when our boys were in high school and he and his wife are great friends of Mandy.  We met both of these men when we moved to Spokane and Chad was just a young boy.  Dennis has been an Elder of the church here for 24 years and before that was in leadership at the church we attended in Omaha.  It's always wonderful to see young people grow and learn to serve the Lord.
 Thank you Sherri for the sweet card and this precious ornament you crocheted for me.  It is hanging on the tree right now.  It sparkles so pretty in the light.  I love the sparkley gold yarn that you used.
 Debbie sent another wonderful package of soap and lotion bars along with card she made that I can now share with someone else.  This woman's talent knows no bounds and she generously shares her lovely creations.  I really like the lotion bars as they keep my dry hands from snagging on yarn.
I tried very hard to get a good picture of the moon the other night.  It was stunning!  But no matter how many photos I took, they were blurry and then the clouds began to cover it.  Well, I think it's still pretty, isn't it?
Four more hats were finished for the hospital nursery.
 A baby blanket that I've been working on in November is also done.  I finished another identical one earlier in the month of November but forgot to take a picture and it's already been delivered to the Crisis Nursery to keep a baby warm.
 I finished another Fibi shawl pattern by Taci.  This was using Knit Picks City Tweed DK.
 The three colors I used were Snowshoe, Plush, (light purple) and Morning Glory, (darker purple).
 After blocking it is well over 5 1/2 foot long!  It's so cushy and snuggly and I absolutely love it!  I'm still deciding whether to keep it our give it away but I think it will be a gift for Christmas.  I hope you all get a copy of this pattern and knit it.  It's a very easy and intuitive pattern using the seed stitch.
I finished 3 more pair of mittens for the school kids on Sunday afternoon and evening while watching Hallmark movies.  I am addicted to the Hallmark movies.
 Yesterday I started a new blanket for Marilyn, Mandy's mother-in-law.  She is such a sweet lady and very good to Mandy and Piper. She's really been a great support while Mandy was so sick, etc.  Of course, she's Grandma to Piper too and adores that little girl.  We have become friends and I thought she might like a blanket to wrap up in during the cold Nebraska winter.  It's not a Christmas gift, it's a "just because" gift.  :-) You can't tell very well, but this is a lovely pale yellow yarn with a cream border.  Yellow is her favorite color.  Michaels had Impeccable yarn on sale for 3/$5 yesterday in a flash sale.  I bought all of the yellow they had but it wasn't enough.  The sales girl suggested I look online.  It was in stock there, so I bought 6 more skeins at the same price!  With shipping and taxes it was still less than the normal price for 3 skeins!  I felt like I really got a wonderful deal.  It will be here next week and whatever I don't use for the blanket will be used for mittens because it's the same yarn I use for them.
Life is wonderful, but life can also be difficult.  Many people are suffering this year and the holidays are hard for them.  That was brought into the forefront yet again this morning with an email I received when I woke up, about the difficulties a dear friend is going through.  My own brother-in-law is fighting cancer for the second time this year.  All caused by the anti-rejection drugs he has to take from his liver transplant.  It's terrible for him and my sweet sister Melanie and their kids.  One of my brothers had a skin cancer removed last week from his hand.  Another blog friend sent an email earlier in the week with a list of many, many family members who are very sick with life threatening things.  I know many of you have lost parents and family members during the past year and this holiday season of "firsts" is SO, SO hard.

I just want each of you reading this to  know that I am going the throne room of Heaven for each one of you.  Every time I hear of a need that one of you has, I write it in my prayer notebook and I REALLY DO pray for each of the things that you mention every single day.  Whether you ask me specifically to pray for you or not, I pray anyway.  Because I know that that's the least and the BEST thing that I can do for each one of you.

I don't want to end this on a down note, but I do know that the holiday season can be very, very difficult and I wanted you all to know that I am here for you.

I do hope that you each have a wonderful day today.  Much love from me to you!

"There is no one holy like the LORD: there is not one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.
1 Samuel 2:2

"For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

Blessings always,
Betsy

25 comments:

  1. Dear Betsy, I've been a reader of your blog for a long time but have never commented before. Today I feel compelled to in order to thank you for your kind and thoughtful words at the end of your post. Rather than give my reasons, all I will say is Thank you for the comfort you have given me today. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, I don’t know how to get in touch with you but I WILL be praying for you. Thank you for your sweet comment today.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are really finishing a lot of projects! Dayle just read your post and mentioned how amazing you are at how fast you knit and crochet things! I also turn on the Hallmark movies in the afternoon while I'm working on my cards or reading a magazine or crochet. I need a new project since I finished that baby blanket. Enjoy these holiday days! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Tell Dayle that the problem with finishing everything all at once is it now I have to start all new projects and won’t have any completions for a while! Ha ha! I hope you both have a wonderful day and hope to see you again soon. Blessings, Betsy

      Delete
  3. Kudos on all the finished projects! I especially like the shawl and will look for the pattern on Ravelry.

    It's been cold here, too - barely 30° as of 1PM, but as winter solstice nears, I'm glad the snow we received on Monday has almost all melted. Last year at this time, there was over 13" on the ground.

    I love making "just because" gifts. Marilyn is going to love the afghan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shawl was designed by Taci Simmons and is on Ravelry as “Fibi”.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  4. That first photo, Betsy, is so pretty, but it sure does look stark and cold!! Your latest shawl is beautiful! It has your colors (the purples), so I think you should keep it for yourself and wear in good health. You've been busy, busy, busy with all the items you have made to donate. That is awesome. Wishing you a peaceful (snow-free) week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vera! It is very cold here today but the sun is shining and that helps.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  5. Thank you dear Betsy. I know your prayers have helped me through this year as my mother passed. I know you prayed for my little PIE to recover last week. We are thrilled that she is doing great again. We get a recheck of her gums on Friday~ Your prayers are heard. Prayers of thanksgiving for yOU!!!!! My mom is in heaven this Christmas, and that is a prayer answered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Kathy. I’m so glad little Pie is doing well. I am blessed to call you my friend.
      Blessings,
      Betys

      Delete
  6. Betsy, I am thankful I “know” you through this blog! I’m praying right with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. There is nothing more powerful than prayer.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  7. What sweet projects your have knit (and crocheted) this week. I know that the beautiful granny blanket will be loved and much appreciated.

    As for the moon photos ---- some things we just have to remember in our memories. Cameras just can't do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee. I hope she likes the blanket too. You’re right about photos. I’m not a good photographer.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  8. Oh the scarf looks cozy right now even though I have worn a sweatshirt all day at work. Chilly evening. Did a bit of shopping at TJMaxx after dinner. So many fun finds for a couple gift boxes I'm sending. Thanks for your kind comment on my post. I am thankful for you too and your prayers. It helps. A bit of stress at work again. One more day then vacation day from work. It's already full but my pace day! Hugs and blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sorry for the stressful work times Becky. How well I remember those and don’t miss them at all.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  9. Your projects are so lovely. What a nice gift to receive too. At some point, I would love to crochet baby blankets for a children's hospital about an hour from our place. I have had orders for scarves this winter, so I am making some extra cash at least. I know there are so many suffering health issues right now. Even though we are not gifting this year due to the large amount of medical bills, we are so very grateful for our health. I am still going to bake and make a meal, but no presents this Christmas. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the prayers... I definitely need them. I finally have our home all decorated inside and out --and am ready for Santa's visit!!!!! George's daughter will be with us for Christmas this year... (She's the one who recently last her husband.)

    I agree about all of the 'progress' all over the country. Soon there will be no beautiful landscapes to enjoy with all of the building going on! Grrrrrrr.

    As an old lady, I am here to tell you that I LOVE mittens --at my age!!!!!! ha..... I find that they keep my hands warmer than traditional gloves.....

    Your moon picture is good... I like the clouds mixed in around the moon. (I'm not a good moon-photographer at all --so I leave it up to George with his tripod.)

    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual, you amaze me with all your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sweet Friend, you truly do reflect His love. This world would be such a better place if only we had more people like you. You are always so kind and caring, and truly you are a blessing to all who are lucky enough to know you....and even those who don't know you, are blessed by the love gifts you make with your hands to keep them warm. I pray for you sweet friend, always, that blessings will be upon you. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Betsy, More wonderful lovely things made by you! How you must bless everyone with those and also with your prayers. I too love the Hallmark Christmas movies. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear, precious friend! I am in tears. I cry, because I KNOW that you truly do pray so fervently for the ones who need prayer. I know you have carried my and my family's burdens to the throne of grace time after time. I cannot even begin to say how much this means to me. Your nurturing spirit and friendship are just invaluable gifts. How I praise God for you and the Godly example you are to us all. Yes, you are so right, those "firsts" are SO hard. The picture of the young man being ordained blessed my heart, too. You can just see the humility and Christlike spirit in that photo. I am sure it was a precious thing to have been there, and how wonderful that you have watched him grow up, and your husband could be one of the elders who ordained him for this new season of ministry. God bless you abundantly...you are such a dear blessing and encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Betsy, thank you so much for the wash cloth- you are so sweet! I firmly believe in the power of prayer and I appreciate yours tremendously. I am one of those going through all the firsts without my mother. Have a blessed day and again, thank you so much for the card and knitted wash cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Betsy,
    What a lovely post as always, sorry it’s so cold there already, but your knitting will warm up many dear folks over there, love the mittens shawls etc. well done Betsy, you really are so industrious indeed.
    Hugs and prayers dear friend,
    Shaz.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betsy, you are indeed right, Debbie is so kind and talented but so are you. You are always thinking of others and doing so much for so many.

    ReplyDelete