Thursday, October 12, 2017

Home!

I'm home!  I tried, I really did try to comment on all of your lovely posts but I finally gave up.  I did read most of them and hopefully, starting today, I'll be back in a somewhat normal pace of life.  But, oh, how I miss my girls!  Being torn between two places is pretty hard.  I couldn't wait to be back with Dennis, but now I'm missing Mandy and Piper.

It was a beautiful flight to Omaha.  I had a layover in Minneapolis each direction and, I must say, people were really nice there.  I had a little over two hours with each layover, timed right at mealtime so I picked up some very unhealthy airport food, and the people working there were so nice.  The wheelchair pushers I met in the concourses and the golf cart drivers who whisked by me as I walked always smiled and said hello and have a nice day.  It really gives me hope that the world isn't nearly as bad as the news would have us believe.
Look at this face!  I mean, really.  Who could resist that smile?  Not this Grandma. :-)
There was a sign outside her preschool classroom on her birthday.
Mandy and I made these tutu's for the little girls who came to the family party.  Mandy did most of the work.  All I did was sew the waistbands.  She painstakingly tied each piece of tulle onto the waistband.
Then she clipped them to a ribbon tied to the railing.  We made them different sizes to fit the different girls attending.  The tiny one second to the left is for a 6 month old.  Isn't it precious?  They were a definite hit with the girls.
Piper got a Belle dress up dress from Dennis' Mom, Pipers great-grandma.  To say that was a great gift for her would be an understatement.  She loves Belle.  Here she is sitting on her great-uncles lap,  (Brad's uncle) showing us their matching clothes. They definitely have lots and lots of family around in Omaha.  Quite a difference to when they lived in Maryland.
One of her birthday gifts was this fairy garden.  Mandy had to work the day after I got there so Piper and I had fun with the garden.  She painted the dish and some of the ceramic pieces and then we planted the grass and other seeds.  This was growth after just 8 days or so!  It really is quite magical when you think about it. 
I think she did a beautiful job.
When I got home late Tuesday night I found out fall had arrived while I was gone.  The trees were still green in Omaha but this is what greeted me here in Spokane.
Gorgeous!
After Piper was in bed in the evenings, Mandy and I spent time knitting together while watching Netflix.  Here I am all comfy on the loveseat with both of her cats.  Amelia and Franny always remember me and love to sit and sleep with me.  If you look closely there is a cat on my lap and one of the arm of the loveseat.  They look just alike and blend in with the furniture.  They are great cats and are getting up there in years, but they always remember Grandma!
I finished a pair of Hermione socks and left them for Mandy without remembering to take a picture.  I finished these on the plane home and they are the Petty Harbour pattern.  Sorry it's a bit blurry.  It's very overcast and the lighting is awful today.
I bought this yarn at Hobby Lobby to make a chemo cap for a friend at church who was diagnosed with Leukemia. 
And this is a mystery project that I began yesterday.
All was not roses when I got home.  Our neighborhood had some issues with unruly teenagers over spring break.  While I was gone, last week virtually every house for a 3 block stretch was "egged" including ours.  All of the neighbors have an idea of who may have done this but no proof.  Then, at 2:15 am Wednesday morning, after I got home from the airport late Tuesday night, we woke up to someone hitting the front of our house with bats or sticks, by the time we got our wits about us and got to a window, they were running down the street.  We went outside and this greeted us.
They had broken both of the lights by our garage doors.  The infuriating thing is that we had just replaced the old lights with these last month.  They automatically go on and off with sunset and sunrise and were not inexpensive.  I had to go buy two more yesterday and Dennis will replace them tomorrow. 
I talked to several neighbors yesterday and apparently we were the only ones hit with the vandalism this time.  Eggs to bats.  It sure sounds like things are escalating.  My question is, "Where are the parents?"  Who lets their kids roam at 2:15 in the morning?  The lady that lives across the street from the teen everyone believes is the "ringleader" says that he comes and goes at all hours and has already broken several windows in their house this week.  The police won't do anything because we don't know without a doubt who is doing it.  I filed a Crime Check report but they told me nothing will be done.  They don't even send the police out over vandalism.

We have lived here over 15 years and never, ever had any problems before.  It's always been a very quiet neighborhood and this makes me just sick.  I'm almost afraid to go to sleep now.  Not a great welcome home.

On a much happier note, we're hoping to take the small trailer out for this weekend before winterizing it.  Dennis closed up the lake trailer while I was gone so that's done for the year.  We really would like to use the little trailer at least once this year, but snow is falling pretty close to home today.  We'll see what happens.

I had a good time while in Nebraska.  I was able to spend a lot of time with Mandy, Piper and Brad.  Mandy started working every other weekend as an RN so Piper will be at home with Daddy those weekends.  A nice arrangement with no need for daycare.  And there is family to fill in when needed.  I'm happy about that.

I also spent a day with my sister and we drove to the very southern edge of Nebraska to Beatrice and visited our aunt who has recently had to move into an assisted living facility.  I try to visit Aunt Joyce when I go back home, but was unable to go when we were there in July so I was really looking forward to this visit.  I also saw my cousin who is only 11 days younger than I am.  We grew up together so that was a special treat too.  :-)

Dennis' brother was also visiting from Florida and I hadn't seen him in over 10 years!  We were able to have lunch together too.  I also had several visits with Dennis' mom and sister.  Family is such a blessing.  Because everyone lives there, we are struggling with the decision of where to live after retirement.  We love Spokane, but family is family.  Decisions must be made.

Now I need to get some cleaning finished before Bible study here tonight.  It's good to be home, my friends.  I'll try to catch up with you all soon.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be thankful."  Colossians 3:15

Blessings,

Betsy

















21 comments:

  1. Betsy , Pipers celebrations are magnificent. It is so hard when we leave family or they return to their homes. I get it. I love the cats photo. Love your socks. Im so sorry about the vandelism. I suspect its just one ruffian. Lets hope that it all ends soon! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to read your post. You have been missed, but I knew you were having a blast. I am with you on 'where are the parents'. It seems to me that children now a days are allowed to just run wild and are never corrected. The Bible tells us clearly what happens when we spare the rod and spoil the child. Oh yes, friend, there are still many, many people out here who are loving and caring. Kindness costs us nothing, yet it can change the world. Sending you a ((hug)) and praying in agreement with you that the trouble in your neck of the woods will cease and that peace and quiet will return soon. Blessings always to you sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no.....so sorry to hear you came home to such worries when your trip looked like so much fun! I can't believe the police won't put out a neighborhood watch to stop that nonsense before someone gets hurt.
    Your fall leaves are gorgeous. It's still green here but there is that feeling in the air....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! I'm glad your visit was wonderful and that you were able to fly without any problems.

    I'm sorry to hear of the vandalism in your neighborhood. I hope a solution can be found soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you got to spend time with Mandy and Piper. She is such a cutie. And I'm sorry you came home to the vandalism. Unfortunately, there's not a lot that can be done without proof of who did it. We came home last year on Thanksgiving Day, after spending the day with our GA family, to find our house had been broken into. I didn't sleep for a week afterwards and then I was afraid to leave home. We were lucky that not much was taken; just a gallon jar of change and my tablet. I got my tablet back so....like I said, we were lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home, Betsy! I am glad you had a good trip and got to visit with much of your family...and even do some pretty knitting :). Your trees are gorgeous! We are enjoying some colorful ones around us, too. I am sorry for the destructive things happening in your neighborhood, and pray for safety and justice for all. Like you, I found out that in spite of the truly negative things that happen around us, in my travels the majority of folks around me were kind and pleasant. It is good to have you home :). XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about the vandalism and sadly nothing can be done about it. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family, Miss Piper is a joy. My suggestion about retirement is to go with your heart and all will be well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *W*E*L*C*O*M*E*!*!* home, Betsy! I'm so glad you got to fly and visit with Piper and her parents and other family too! It sounds like you stayed healthy during the trip so I'm glad about that. Sorry about the vandalism.. that makes me very angry. How about putting a security camera out there? We have one aimed at our back deck just for that reason. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Can't understand how people can be so destructive. It makes you scratch your head and wonder why. It looks like you have a lovely visit with family and now it must feel good to be home. Wishing you a wonderful restful weekend.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's terrible about the neighborhood vandals. I hope they get caught and charged. I love those socks. Some day I will attempt knitting some. Some day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying Betsy...
    ..... as we give it to Him, let us ask the loving Father God will take this young life or lives into His hands and deal with them after His will, let’s pray for them to come to know Him and lead useful lives. They must be sad and angry to want to cause such mayhem, with no real purpose in life.

    May they O Lord find that purpose in Thee alone, transform them as you did Saul upon the road to Emmaeus, work through Thy Holy Sprit as only You can, and grant peace in the hearts of all who are suffering as a consequence of their actions, in Jesus precious Name we ask Thee Father God. Amen.

    He alone is able, able to exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or think.
    Praise Him.
    Praise Him too, Betsy for your grand time away. How much Piper has grown from when I first met her, years ago now, she was sick little tiny thing then.
    Another birthday passed how good is our Lord that you were there.
    Love your socks and your mystery project too. 😉
    Hugs and prayers dear friend... praying you’re able to take that wee trip in the wee trailer too.
    Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy you had such a wonderful trip but so sad to hear about your vandalism...that's terrible. Sometimes I think these kids do it so their parents will pay attention to them. I don't think kids think you care unless you make an effort to set limits on t hem...they want it...it's proof you care about them. I feel bad about your damage but I will also pray for those kids and their parents before it's too late.
    I think Miss Piper is very artistically talented with her garden and a green thumb to boot! Glad you were able to see your family and it will be a tough decision to decide where to retire. Your trees are beautiful...not much color here but then we have mostly oak trees and not maples so it doesn't get too colorful anyway. Love your socks and that cotton yarn! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your grands AND grandkitties. Sorry to hear about the vandalism. Sounds like someone needs to get more police patrols in your area.

    We have a terrible problem with car breakins in our area, but we live in the inner city so we get very little police patrols .........they are too busy with murders on the northside. :::sigh:::

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saying good by to special people you love but won't see for awhile is hard. I am so sorry that your are having vandalism to your house. I hope whoever doing it is caught soon and gets help. Miss Piper's little garden is so cute. When I get a chance and a coupon or sale I like to buy "I love this Cotton" Yarn. I am still working on the fold over pot holders with Peaches and Cream yarn I think.
    I am on the third one now. I still have a hard time with the first row or two! Like you I would like to do one for each of the Bible Study group I am in but don't know if I will get enough done.
    Hope you have a relaxing week-end camping in your new trailer and glad to hear you had a wonderful time with family. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I am SO happy to see this post! I have thought of you so many times and prayed for you. It sounds like you had a wonderful, peaceful, joy-filled time, and that just makes me smile! I am SO sorry for the awful vandalism and troubles you are encountering. We had some similar situations in the past, and I can certainly understand how terrifying it can be. Especially, when you feel like you have no protection from the police! I cannot believe they won't even come out for this type of thing anymore! This is one of the reasons violence and disrespect is so rampant. They know they can get by with it. I never thought I would see the day that things got so ugly and mean-spirited and that here, in America, we couldn't even count on police protection. God bless you and protect you and your dear family and home and bring these awful people to justice. Praise God, you have a host of angels around you, and that is what matters most. Praying for you, dear friend, and sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip Betsy. Piper is so adorable. She is growing up so fast. Love the birthday preparations. So sorry to hear about the vandalism. Those kids will be so sorry they made these decisions. Rest up dear Betsy, you have been so busy. The right decision will be made, family is really so important. You have been blessed with a wonderful one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was missing you on IG and got worried so came here to see what was up. Glad all is well and you were just gone visiting family. My blog is done with. I’ve taken it offline, but I’ll still be over on IG. All is well here. Welcome back!! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Betsy, I am so sorry about the vandalism! Kids are just angry and with no parental input for some of them! Glad you got to see the grandkids and the family!
    Any cat or dog would love you (smiles)
    And winter will be here soon! You are a knitting angel!
    Love ya friend...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am happy to see you made it safely back home again and that you had a good time with your family in NE! It's pretty disgusting about the vandalism and I would second Teresa's suggestion of a security camera. This person also needs prayer as they aren't doing themselves any favors either by destroying others property.
    Both my hubby and I have lived in the PNW for almost all of our lives and we have a lot of family here, but he talks about us moving to be closer to our youngest often and on cold, wet, nasty days like this one, the South sounds pretty awesome😉 We'll see...besides the sunnier skies, I truly miss our kids as I know you do too.
    God bless,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about the vandalism, and I agree with others that a security camera might help catch the culprit. Sounds like you had a great trip though, and your little Piper is such a cutie pie! Hugs to you. It's chilly and rainy here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Time spent with cats is never wasted.

    ReplyDelete