Friday, April 21, 2017

Sunshine!

Good Morning!  It's a beautiful day here in Spokane, WA.  We have some clouds and some sunshine, but the weather girl has promised us mostly sun by the afternoon so I'm holding her to it!  We've had rain every day this week except Wednesday which dawned beautiful and bright.  It also made it into the 60'sF for the first time this spring on Wednesday.  There is hope!  It was my best friend Jenny's birthday on Wednesday.  We ate a very healthy lunch at Taco Bell, (ha ha, it was her choice), and then took a long walk around a local park.  It was a fun and relaxing way to spend the afternoon, just catching up. 

I received this sweet Easter card from Becky (GrandmaBeckyL on my sidebar).  It was so thoughtful of her to send it to me.  Thank you Becky!
And I ordered this hand dyed yarn from Kim Napier at Napiersknits Etsy shop.  I really enjoy her podcast and this yarn is just wonderful.  I'm still trying to decide if it should be socks or a shawl. 
This came in the mail from Kim too!  I was the lucky winner of one of her Craftalongs in her Ravelry group.  Have you ever heard of C.C. & Dami?  They are a mom and her 17 year old daughter originally from Texas who live in Edinburg, Scotland while their husband/father finishes seminary.  They design knitting patterns together and this book is full of gorgeous patterns. My copy is signed by the two of them. And yes, C.C.'s hair is PINK!  It's her favorite color. :-)
Here is a sample of what's inside, socks, fingerless mitts in three lengths, and a shawl.  The socks are unique in that each pattern includes both the toe up and top down versions so you can knit your preferred way!  An E-book is also available.  C.C. & Dami also have a podcast called "Geeky Girls Knit", where they share their love of fiber, books, T.V. shows and movies.  They podcast faithfully each and every week and I've been watching them for quite awhile now.  It's one of my favorites. Thank you Kim, C.C. and Dami!
Holy Family Hospital here in Spokane let me know that they really needed some micro-preemie hats for the tiniest little ones.  These are about the size of a goose egg although the photo makes them look a bit bigger.  I crocheted these in about 2 hours Wednesday night and dropped them off yesterday.  I do need to find a knitted pattern with a ribbed border to use instead of this one though, because these don't have quite enough stretch at the brim for the sensitive skin on the babies.  As I made them I was a bit concerned about that and although the nurses didn't really want to sound critical, they agreed more stretch would make them work even better.
I made a few pair of mittens on Tuesday when the rain was pouring down.
And a pair of toddler socks for Miss Piper to match some I made for myself.  I had 42 inches of yarn left when I cast off!  Whew!  I don't like playing yarn chicken at all!  :-)  Both pair of socks from one skein of yarn is pretty good though. :-)
And a pair of wrist-warmers for Miss Margie who has been a very good friend to Mandy and Piper while they have been on the East Coast.  Miss Margie is about my age and walks at the mall with my girls several times a week and they go to church together.  Yesterday Piper showed her some wrist-warmers I had made for Mandy several years ago, (they were in the glovebox in Mandy's car and Piper found them while they waited for Margie.)  Piper asked her what her favorite color was and told her Grandma would make her some for herself.  Piper didn't know what color turquoise was, but told me that Margie liked that color.  Quite the generous little girl and apparently she believes I can make anything and everything she requests.  I confess, I do try to make anything she asks me for.  What's a Grandma to do?  I whipped these up this morning from a pattern I made up and I'll mail them out with Pipers socks as a thank you for being there for my girls when I couldn't be.  It's very warm there already, but she'll be able to use them next winter.
And my grand Tah-dah!  I finished my "Portage" sweater.  I love, love, love it.  I've been wearing it everywhere.  I love the pockets.  One of the nurses at the hospital yesterday asked if I made my sweater and wanted to know if I would sell her one!  Nope.  For the time it took to make this sweater it would cost hundreds of dollars.  Plus it takes the enjoyment out of it for me.  I would rather make things and give them away.  This sweater is SO comfortable and it was easy to make.  I would highly recommend the pattern if you want to make a comfy sweater.
I got this sweet card in the mail yesterday from Piper.  She must be a busy girl because Debra, (Araignee on my sidebar), received one from her too and shared it with us yesterday on her blog along with a hilarious bra story. I suggest you read it for a good laugh!
She dictated a  note to her mom to write and then signed her own name.  For a 4 year old, I think she did a wonderful job.  I love this!
A back update.  Yesterday my PT was a very happy man.  I don't know what's different, but he said I can do all of my exercises again and even begin vacuuming and doing some cleaning, etc.  Still no lifting over 10 lbs. but that's an improvement over 2 lbs.!  He said we're moving into the strengthening portion of PT and hopefully I can be done soon.  It's crazy.  Last week he said stop everything.  This week it was go, go, go!  It does hurt quite a bit and I'm having back spasms, but apparently that is the muscles getting used to doing things again and I'm not to worry about it, just take pain relievers if need be.  So finally some good news!

We're heading up to the lake tonight and home tomorrow to have a birthday dinner with Jenny and her family.  It's a new restaurant downtown that we haven't gone to before so that should be a lot of fun.

I hope you are all having a lovely week and can enjoy the weekend ahead.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4

Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone did this?  Just a thought and something I need to work on more.  Putting others ahead of myself.

Blessings always,
Betsy




18 comments:

  1. What a joy to visit and see all your beautiful makes and your generosity. I love your sweater, a real delight. Hope you have a wonderful time at the lake and such good news from your Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sweater and I love the stove behind you. I wouldnt sell either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater is to die for!!! Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Betsy, I know very few people who give as much if themselves as you do. I don't think you have to work very hard on putting others first. The sweater looks sooooo comfortable. Love the card from Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sweater turned out fabulous and thanks for modeling it for us! I also love the little hats and the wrist warmers you made for Piper's friend. You are so generous. We had a fab day at the beach today, we drove down to Florence and got some photos of Heceta Head Lighthouse. Great first day of our April week at the beach! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all your joys with us, how gla dyou must've been to hear those words from your physiotherapist. A huge answer to prayer dear sweet sister, and we'll keep praying it's on th up here. Dear Piper's card is sooo cute with her message for grandma of course you have to make them!! And so glad they're moving nearer to you.
    Know you'll be drinking in time at the lake, enjoy dear sweet friend so glad for you.
    Love your sweater/ cardigan or "cardi" as we call them, sweaters don't have opening down the front like that, and socks definitely out of your new wool.
    Pray you can find a decent premi pattern too. 😊
    Thanks for sharing, dear Betsy!
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, praise the Lord that you are better and able to move forward with more activities! And, just in time for your trip to the lake!!! Oh, God is SO good!! I think it is super sweet that you made the wrist warmers, at little Miss Piper's request! I don't imagine there is one thing that little girl could ask you to do that you could say no to! That note from her is just precious!!!! What a sweetie she is! Your sweater is amazing....just beautiful! And, your dear, kind heart is even more so...that you prefer to give things away than to sell them is so inspiring. May the dear Lord bless you abundantly for all you do for so many people. I know those precious babies (and their nurses and the parents of the babies) are so blessed by your kindness. I just can't imagine how much it means to all of them. You are a shining light to us all, sweet friend. So thankful to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love your sweater! Nice job.

    Thrilled to hear you are feeling and moving better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you send some of the rain our way? Really need it! It's hitting upper 80s here....summer has arrived with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always so nice to catch up with what you have been doing sweet friend. :) Love all the pretty things you have been making. Such sweet love gifts. Oh your sweater is awesome! Blessings to you always sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sweater turned out just beautiful!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that you got good news to increase you exercise and are doing better. Than note from Piper is so sweet. All your knitted items are so nice and it amazes me all you get knitted. I love your new sweater!!!! Those teeny hats are adorable. Have a wonderful Sunday! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sweater is so nice and I like the color. One day I'll make one for me again. I'm so glad your back is better. Thank you Lord!! Enjoy your time at the lake. Hugs to you my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Progress on every front, Betsy! I am thanking the Lord for your good progress in healing and for your amazing creativity, and your dear friendship. You inspire me! The sweater is wonderful and you look lovely in it. Miss Piper is inheriting your generosity 😃 I am hoping you are having a good time at the birthday party and I look forward to hearing about your lake adventure. Three days ago while helping a friend move, my sister, Carolyn fell down and has two breaks in her pelvis that do not require surgery, but she is at a rehab facility and feeling acute pain when trying to walk. Please pray for pain decrease and her rapid complete healing. The doctors are predicting six weeks healing and she can go home as soon as she can move without assistance. Missing you, dear Betsy, but so glad to read your post...a good visit 🤗 xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work on the sweater! It looks great. Glad you're feeling better, too. It was sunny here on Friday also; we headed for Gig Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh, I need to work on that too. Always. (Putting others first.)

    WHAT a lovely sweater and a great fit! Those pockets are awesome - I can see why you like them so much. And congrats on finishing the little socks before the yarn ran out. Whew!

    Re the baby hats - if it's just the brim that is too tight, you could always stop the crochet portion a little sooner, pick up stitches around the brim onto a circular, and add a ribbed band. It's hard to imagine a little head as tiny as that.

    I hope your back continues to get better. Thanks for the cheery comments on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your sweater is so nice looking! The sweet note is precious. Hope you had a great weekend! And those hats are adorable!And a gret misinstry!
    And you are always doing things for others!
    Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your new hair do! So cute and you look so healthy! Congrats on getting stronger and isn't that wonderful that you can get back to cleaning and vacuuming? NOT!! LOL! Love your little socks for Piper and that sweater looks gorgeous....I think I need one! LOL! thanks for the heads up about The Geeky Girls....I've been looking for some new podcasts.
    As for giving of yourself...all well and good but martyrdom is not attractive and you have nothing to give to others if you don't tend to yourself and your needs first. Like the oxygen masks in a plane! LOL!

    ReplyDelete