Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Spring Has Sprung!

Happy Wednesday my friends.  My Mom used to have a saying, "Spring has sprung, the grass is rise, I wonder where all the birdies is?"  I'm sure she's not the only one who said that, but I'm repeating it this spring too.  Very few birdies are coming to visit us yet.  Do they know something we don't?  Possibly more snow?  I sure hope not.  It is a bit warmer and not so cold at night.  It's staying in the upper 20's and 30's at night which is warm compared to a month ago!  I even saw a crocus coming up when I walked around the block yesterday.  Happiness!

I've been busy crocheting this week.  I started out making 77 squares.
And finished this full/twin sized blanket a few days ago.  I still have to wash and block it so pardon the wrinkles.
Here is a closer look at the squares.  This blanket will be for Neal who is Dennis' best friend.  He and his wife Jenny are family to us and although I make things for Jenny quite often, Neal has never gotten anything.  I thought this would be great for napping under during these chilly evenings we're still having.
Another preemie baby blanket from the ICE yarn flew off of my hook...
along with a "Corner to Corner" newborn sized blanket.  These will both go to the hospital nursery.
A few more pair of mittens and baby hats were finished for the elementary kids and the hospital nursery.
More squares are now being put together.  Three toddler sized blankets...
and three more!  These six blankets will go to the Crisis Nursery here in Spokane.
I still have to finished joining squares on two of them and then crochet a border.  Then they will all be washed with Neal's blanket, hopefully this evening and delivered on Friday if all goes well.

We had Miss Sophie visiting for the past week while her Mom & Dad were in Desert Hot Springs visiting relatives.  Sorry this is a bit dark, I took in while I was laying in bed.  She is such a snuggler.
I was going to make octopus' for a charity that provides them to hospitals for preemies.  Apparently the tentacles remind them of the umbilical cord and they can often be found gripping them like they did in the womb.  Unfortuntely, I can't seem to crochet tight enough for their guidelines without hurting my hands terribly.  Piper loves them though.  I had made the first one, (the green one,) and she requested a wife for him in pink.  Meet Swimmer and Dusty, Mr. & Mrs. Octopus.  I mailed them off to her yesterday after PT and she's eagerly awaiting their arrival.
Gracie sent me this lovely card and coaster.  The card was perfect and the coaster is made with the softest, silkiest yarn.  Sorry it's sideways, blogger keeps flipping it around on me for some reason.
Sunday after church Dennis and I took a drive to the lake.  Look at that!  It's still completely frozen over!  Will summer never arrive?  Two years ago we were camping on the same weekend in March and we all got sunburned!  What a difference!
Here is the road up to our trailer.  Still snowed in.  I did manage to hike up there anyway.  We spent an hour or so checking things out at the trailer since we haven't been there since last fall.  All seems well.  Maybe in another month or so we can head up there to spend the night????
I go to PT on Tuesdays and Thursdays and it really wears me out.  Yesterday he added back a couple of exercises and told me to expect to be uncomfortable. Yep.  I'm uncomfortable.  I just got home from walking 1.5 miles at the mall.  I try to do that everyday now.  It may not sound like much, but it seems like Mt. Everest to me!  I AM getting better.  I can tell.  It just seems to be way to slow for me.  I have things to do!  Grandchildren to visit!  Alex to visit! 

I heard about the latest terrorist attack in London as I was driving home just now.  My thoughts and prayers are with the people of England and the families of those hurt and killed in this senseless act of violence. It is happening too often and I long for the day when things like this no longer happen.  My fear is that it will just get worse as we turn away from what is right and follow the senseless rhetoric and hate being tossed around by so many. 

I try to keep my blog a place of peace and happiness.  Sharing my life with my friends.  May you all be blessed and safe today and always.  Kiss your family and hold them close, for we never know what the next moment will bring.

"I keep my eyes always on the LORD.  With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

Blessings,
Betsy

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! You have completed so many projects! I feel like I'm in reverse watching you go! I'm also impressed at your walking daily. I'm trying to talk myself into going swimming today. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet friend, you have made so many lovely projects. You are such a blessing to everyone. I hope you get well soon, and keep walking, it will help you a lot to gain strength. Oh Gracie was such a sweetie to send you such a sweet gift and card. You'll be up at the lake before you know it. Hang in there, good times are ahead sweet friend. ((hugs)) Blessings always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Piper will enjoy Mr. and Mrs. Octopus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your collection of finished items is amazing and beautiful, too.

    I've heard a lot of birdsong, but haven't actually seen too many birds. A robin was hopping around in my neighbor's yard this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I lived close enough so I could peek in and see how you manage to get so much done!
    I can't believe all that snow and ice you still have. It is still cold here. Colder than February. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dear Betsy,
    I thought of you when I wrote up my post yesterday with all the cards in your favourite colours ๐Ÿ˜Š
    They're my fiends favourite too, as she knows the Lord, and loves to knit I think you'd be great friends but dear Jenny doesn't go near the computer.
    Two days ago Jen lost her young grandson, a three year old, his dear daddy didn't see him and ran him over as he reversed out the driveway, so sad. (My dad had a rule of always reversing into a driveway and driving out frontwards... as often the child is in car when reversing in or out of way, plus you can see more clearly reversing in than out, so very much safer!
    We in our family do that too, but sadly most don't ..)

    I am praying for them, for Gods comfort, all of them love Him ...
    ... and truly the LORD helps so very very much, in such dark times, and like the sad case in London, too.

    I walk daily and also do exercises as have health isssues not same as yours, but need to keep my levels up. It really does make a difference, just requires self discipline and help from LORD.
    Well done, you! ๐Ÿ‘
    And also a big well done on your mammoth lot of knitting crocheting, yet again!!
    I think you must do it in your sleep. ๐Ÿ˜
    I wonder how long your blocking takes, as that is a lot of work for that many, especially the large blanket. A work of love. ❤
    Lord bless you dear sis, chin up as you exercise and trust in the greatness of our dear Lord, you will see those dear ones ..when He gives the okay.
    In mean time, His grace abounds to keep us all on keeping on for Him. Praise Him.
    Love and prayers for you and yours,
    ❤❤❤
    Shaz in oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful array of yarn work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful to see a post from you in our inbox, as always, sweet friend! So very grateful to God for helping you along. One and a half miles per day is HUGE. You are doing GREAT!!! I love the octopuses and everything else here, too, especially the colors in the purple blankets. So nice to visit with you. Praying for you and sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy, glad you are stronger everyday. I bet you are sore but know that your muscles are working hard to get you back on track. Love all that you have made. You are so busy and productive. Those attacks are horrible, yet they happen so often now that it is becoming more normal, isn't that horrible. I pray for the whole world to find peace. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you get it all done? You make things so fast! I'm surprised your hands and arms aren't crippled all the time! I know mine would be. Your friend will really love his blanket. Such a nice gift! I'm so glad you're doing better and can get out and go walk. That's exactly what I need. Hope y'all are able to go to the lake an spend some time soon. It's right around the corner! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I do love that pattern you used to crochet the blanket for Neal. So pretty. So great that you are now doing one and a half mile a day!! Those octopuses are really cute and I had never heard about that being used like an umbilical cord. With all the evil going on today I like the last part of John 16:33 "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Have a great week-end. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been busy busy busy. Love your squares. WOW.
    I try to keep my blog a place of kindness and humor. It can be tough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you ever sleep? I can't imagine sitting that long to make all those things! I would be in a world of hurt! So sorry you are still experiencing cold weather....it is a strange Spring here too....87 the other day and then back to 60's and so gloomy and cloudy. Yesterday was nice and in the low 70's so I went to Walmart and the grass is so green and the cows are all grazing like crazy! But today is cloudy and rain is coming so I will have to hang my clothes in the basement to dry. But Ihave cleaning and organizing and cooking to do so the outside work can wait. Those blanket squares are so pretty! Your friend is going to love it. I have that pattern on my list of blankets to make which is a never ending list! LOL! Glad you are doing PT and walking but I think your hours and hours of crocheting and knitting and sitting are not going to help you in the long run. You need a different hobby! LOL! Something that is more physically taxing if you want to stay ambulatory.....just a thought. Have you told your PT how many hours you sit and do needlework? You are younger than me by a long shot. Take care of yourself, please. Just remember, I am not a doctor, I just play one on T.V. LOL! Hugs~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work is stunning so inspiring. The octopi are cute! I bought a smaller one for my baby granddaughter at Christmas. It hangs on a car seat or stroller. We have rain again and I hope it calms down so Phil and I can go on a walk. I don't like walking in the rain and getting soaked at all. Sigh! I'm glad you are feeling stronger and you will be better soon! My tulips are showing up a bit. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When one of my children was in special care I was given little hats for both of them. I have kept them in their special keepsake boxes, they meant a great deal to me at what was a very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete