Thursday, January 17, 2013

Frosty Thursday

Hello Friends!

Well, in my last post I told you that I thought I would have to go buy more cotton? I did just that and bought 20 more balls, about half varigated colors and half solids. My bin is chock full of cotton, just waiting for dishcloths to appear on my needles and hooks!

I have a post full of finished objects for you. It's a little picture heavy so here goes.



These first two are the baby blanket for my friend that I told you about in my last post. I don't think I've ever been happier to complete a project. I really don't like these colors, although once the border was on it seemed to "come together" a bit better. It's been washed and blocked and will be delivered tonight. Thank goodness.

Once the blanket was finished I could finish my happy little snowman. He literally "jumped" off the needles last night! Isn't he cute? I'm making another one for my sets for the year. It's really a light blue yarn, although it looks gray.


Then, since it was still fairly early in the evening, I decided to try my hand at one of the hearts from Lucy at Attic24. I found it a very simple pattern to follow. I've never made her roses or leaves before but I still finished this in under an hour. I already gave it to my very best friend, Jenny, who stopped by for tea this morning. By the way, she was on the way to the doctor to be checked for a terrible cold she's had for over a month. Would you say a prayer for her for healing? I thought the little heart would make her feel better. I was thinking about her while crocheting it, so it was the perfect gift.

The second picture is a more accurate reflection of the color of the rose. It's a beautiful mauve color, not the washed out color the first photo shows.



This morning I starched the little scandanavian hearts from Teresa's pattern that I made while I was still in Portland.


I decided to string them up on a crocheted chain and hang them from my kitchen island for Valentine's decorations. The chain will easily unravel if I want to use them somewhere else later on.


This is some baby blanket fleece sent to me by a lady in one of my charity groups. After she bought the material, she couldn't finish the blankets and asked if I would do it. There is enough fabric for eight blankets. I began buying the satin blanket binding when I had coupons, but it's still pretty expensive. I think I'll use the binding I've purchased so far and for the others use the blanket stitch for the edges. I plan on starting them today and will let you know how it goes in a later post.


These last two pictures show part of the reason my pictures aren't very good today. Although I never take very good photos, we've been socked in by a frosty fog for a few days now. The air is so bad, no one is allowed to use wood burning fireplaces or woodstoves unless it's their only source of heat. Spokane is kind of at the bottom of a "bowl", with mountains all around us. The air stagnates sometimes in the winter when there is no wind and this is what happens.



It is beautiful. But cold. Very cold.

And now my lovely friends, I'm off to work on my fleece blankets. I've never sewn satin binding and I'm told it can be very slippery and hard to work with. Wish me the best!

Have a lovely day wherever you may be and remember to live each day showing love to others. It's the BEST way to live!

Blessings,

Betsy

8 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy, I loved your post today! Lots of fun finished things! I'm impressed with your string of hearts, it looks great that way! We are having pure bright sunshine today, wish I could share it with you!!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy, I am so glad you stopped by because now I have found you! Love your crochet, beautiful colors and projects.
    Hope you are having a fantastic weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy, goodness you have been busy! Everything you've created is so lovely. The baby blanket does look great! Love the hearts, too. I crocheted two heart sachets yesterday, combined with a bit of cross-stitch on the front, and plan to make more. Good thing you have your hooks to keep you buy while the weather outside is cold and frosty. Have a great rest of the day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Betsy--
    I am back on my la[top now so it is much easier to leave a comment:) TY so much for your visit today--and for leaving me a comment!
    First, I LOVE how you used the red hearts you made! And the little snowman is very cute (I am partial to snowmen, nisse (elves) and reindeer...oh, hearts too because of Valentine's Day).
    We've had some fog and below freezing temps here too---you are SO right about the lack of light:( I wouldn't mind if we had some snow...but alas, only some frost off and on. OH well--I'm not in charge of the weather.
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes--I meant laptop. Sorry--I am typing by candlelight again:)
    A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betsy, it is cold here too, we have icicles hanging from the roof!
    Your hearts look lovely, there is just something about the shape that is so appealing. I've really enjoyed making them.
    Beautiful blanket and what a cute snowman!
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend too.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your creativity and productivity always encourage me, Betsy! I really enjoyed viewing all of your projects...even the blanket you are not fond of :)
    I am discovering that a cowl can really help one stay warm. Even though it is not as cold here as it is in Spokane, I was glad to have a cowl, gloves and coat on to and from church. We had a beautiful hard frost last night that coated everything in glittery white. Blessings to you and yours.
    xx,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the baby blanket as well as the other things you made. The hearts look festive for Valentine's.

    ReplyDelete