Monday, January 14, 2013

Dishcloth Cotton

Happy Monday Everyone!

My name is Betsy and I have a problem with dishcloth cotton! Seriously. And I plan to go buy more today or tomorrow because I truly feel you can never have enough cotton. And Michaels has Lily Sugar & Cream balls on sale this week half price at $1.00 per ball. I always try to stock up when it's on sale like this. Yesterday I bought 20 balls on the way home from church, but I really do plan to go back again. Here's what my cotton stash looks like right now-


My plan this morning is to organize it a bit in the plastic bin you see there that I found empty in the garage this morning. Since that bin did hold yarn in the past, it's obvious that I do use yarn up that I have stored so I'm not too worried about that, hubby might be worried but I'm not! :-) Does anyone have wonderful ideas about what to do with all the ends of balls that are left over? See the two bags on the left? They are chock full of odd bits and pieces that I can't bear to throw in the trash bin.

And that bag there in front? It has my last few skeins of Knit Picks Dishie. Those are only used for special projects because of the cost. But my oh my how I love the purples and lavendars in these balls of yarn.

Next are a few of my projects going at this time. First, I had begun this dishcloth-

Isn't my little snowman cute?! He's part of my plan to make two sets of twelve theme dishcloths for next Christmas as gifts. But alas...the poor little guy had to be set aside to begin this-


Now...I'm not too sure about this blanket. A friend has a grand-daughter who is having a baby shower next week. I gave said friend a dishcloth, (that she chose out of the infamous basket), who in turn gifted it to her granddaughter. Friend has lots of prevously gifted by me dishcloths, and so she gave it to her granddaughter as a gift. Granddaughter then said that those colors would make a great baby blanket and would I make one for her in granny squares? Well Grandma said she thought I would love to. And normally I would, but these colors for a baby are just grating on my nerves for some reason. However, it is their choice and I WILL persevere. I began it Saturday afternoon and hope to finish it soon. My gift to myself when it's done will be completing my happy little snowman dishcloth!

Next is an adult hat that I almost always have on the needles for charity. This yarn was gifted to me by an elderly lady in our church who can't knit anymore. I wonder how old it is? But, it does still make a lovely soft and warm hat for a homeless person. I can knit these, just going round and round. Even in the dark as I discovered last night at church while watching a video! When I got home it was bigger and no mistakes!!!


And I finally found a source for homegrown, organically raised eggs. I looked on Craigslist and found a place called Naked Feet Farm that is literally only about 7 miles from us. She does her shopping at the same grocery I do and offered to meet me there weekly so I can buy eggs from her. How wonderful is that? These eggs taste so wonderfully fresh compared to the store bought ones. Since it's not practical to have chickens in the city, even though it's allowed, this is a great compromise. When I got these yesterday she told me they had been gathered fresh yesterday morning. Can't get much fresher can you?


Look Teresa! A green one! Or three! I wish I had a place like your little farmette, so I could have chickens, but if I can't raise my own, this is the next best thing don't you think?


The lovely lady who met me said they have lots of produce available in the spring, summer and fall and beginning next fall they will have lamb available by the half or whole.

On another note..it's snowing again. Which is part of the reason for the dark pictures above. I thought since we got through most of Nov. and Dec. without much snow it would be what we call a Seattle winter again like last year. But no such luck. It has snowed all but one day since I came home last Wednesday. At least hubby thinks he has the snowblower working again and I'll have the pleasure of trying it out later this morning.

Here is Mt. Spokane from my back door on Saturday.


And my little tree in the backyard. I love the natural "flocking".


I have some fleece baby blankets to try to finish the edges. (For one of my charity groups.) I started to buy the satin binding but at $7.95 plus tax per blanket, it's out of my budget, so I think I'm just going to sew a blanket stitch of yarn around the edges. What do you all think?

There is also some mending to be done so I have a busy day ahead. I better get off this computer and get busy!

Have a wonderful Monday my friends and may the LORD bless you in whatever you set to accomplish on this His day of your life.

Blessings,

Betsy

9 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy... what a fun, full, happy post! I got a kick out of your cotton stash.. I've spent time on Sat and Sun trying to organize my yarn in my "hoarders room". Congrats on finding a nice egg lady, those look great! OK, I have to head to my DAR meeting in downtown Portland. It's snowing here! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa! And that's just the cotton! I have a closet full of "other" yarn!
      Betsy

      Delete
  2. Betsy, I enjoyed catching up with your news and seeing your pretty Mt. Spokane, eggs, and yarn stash : )

    The weather forecasters said we were not going to have snow today, but I had fun watching it fall all day and not amount to anything...so far at least.

    The blanket stitch should make a nice finish for the fleece blankets. I think that is the stitch a friend used on a flannel blanket she made for my oldest daughter. The blanket has been used for many babies and still looks great.

    xx,
    Gracie



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie! I bought two packages of the satin binding tape before I realized just how expensive it would be for eight blankets even with the 50% off coupons I was using. When I finish the baby blanket I think I'll definitely try the blanket stitch.
      Betsy

      Delete
  3. We can't get actual dishcloth yarn here. If I was somewhere and saw a sale on the Sugar & Cream, I would definitely scoop up a bunch, too. I've started many a baby blanket that just didn't feel right so I tossed it to the side. Trying to do the stash busting challenge now so need to get to work with all the yarn I have and I do have a lot. Need to finish lots of projects, too. Have fun with it all. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy-it's so nice to meet you here on the blog. I love making new friends-you can never have too many! How I wish this was a blanket I could toss aside as I have also done with so many others. However, since it's for someone else I must persevere so I can "play" with fun projects.

    I'm sorry dishcloth yarn isn't available for you, it's one of my favorite quick projects to do.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betsy!
    I'm finally on a 'real' computer so I can leave a comment! Yeah!
    I'm so excited to hear about the egg lady! Oh! Please enjoy those eggs for me! I try to buy them as much as possible, but sometimes they get a little pricey. But so worth it!

    I've been reading your posts, don't worry. I just can't comment regularly. Actually, right now I should be looking for houses to rent...
    Take care and Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaylana! It's so good to hear from you again. I hope you find a house very soon. I've been looking for some fresh eggs for awhile but everybody I found who had extra eggs were on the opposite side of town from me or way out in the country. I'm very happy to finally have an egg source.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  6. Our dishcloth cotton is usually just white or cream but I have made dishcloths with Rico cotton. My brightest stripy one was soon "pinched" by my sister but a friend remarked that "handmade dishcloths were a sign of someone with too much time on their hands". Hrrrmph!
    Tempting eggs, a boiled egg with soldiers is a perfect lunch.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete