Hello my friends! We got back from our camping trip in the late afternoon yesterday. There was no internet at the campground. Sometimes we had one bar on our phones, but not enough to get online. I apologize. We're home for about three weeks before leaving on a month long trip to Montana and Washington to see our son, grandkids and friends in Spokane.
It was SO HOT. Sunday and Monday the "feels like" temperature was between 117 and 120F. Tuesday was marginally better. I spent a LOT of time in the air conditioning in the camper and everyone else came and visited me. :-) I don't do the outside when it's that hot. The humidity was absolutely awful. It sure didn't stop the others though. Let me show you around.
Mr. Bear was right next to our truck welcoming everyone to the campground.
For the first time we had a group site, which meant we were in a square formation with our camper doors opening onto a central area with the fire ring in the middle. Needless to say, we didn't use the fire ring at all! This was great and we're definitely going to come back, maybe in the spring. Our camper is on the left, Curt & Barb's is the A-frame and Jeff & Angie's is on the right.

We always have so much fun together. Amanda joined us this time and stayed in our camper with us. Longtime readers will remember that we went to her Masters in Nursing graduation in Kentucky last year. She's a blast to be around and is the same age as our daughter Mandy.
Evening kayaking the day we arrived. Sorry it's a bit blurry. I took this from our campsite
There was a deer with three little fawns just about 1/4 mile down the road. So cute!
Everyone, (except me), went on a 5 mile bike ride around the lake on Tuesday. Oh my gosh it was hot! They are all troopers. Left to right, Dennis, Angie, Curt, Jeff, Amanda, Barb. Jeff is our preacher and you can see that he's not always serious. Ha! Can you imagine riding a bike in such heat? Dennis and Curt are both in their 70's and everyone else except Amanda are in their mid-late 60's.
Taking a short break to catch their breath. These six ride or kayak together about one night a week throughout the summer.
Curt, Barb, Angie, Amanda and Jeff went on a 3 mile hike yesterday morning. (Jeff took the picture.) Dennis opted to stay home with me and relax. It was terribly humid, even worse than normal with 98% and hot temps and he was over it! Ha! Amanda just had major surgery 6 weeks ago and these were her first activities for the summer as the doctor just released her last week to be active again. She was done for when they got back from this hike. It was a good thing we came home afterward although they did go for one more kayak ride after the hike.
They found a beautiful water lily patch on the lake during that last kayak trip and got a couple of gorgeous photos. I think Jeff took both of these.
The view of the lake from our campsites. There was hardly anyone else in the campground, maybe three or four campers scattered around. It was so quiet and beautiful. Just too hot. We've all agreed no more camping in July or August around here. Maybe if we could all go to the mountains, but Jeff is still working and of course, so is Amanda and the mountains are at least an 8 hour drive away.
We've all had our picture taken in this chair and since it was Amanda's first trip with us it was her turn.
Proof of the temperature on Monday. This was without the humidity factored in. It was even hotter when we arrived on Sunday but we didn't take a picture.
Here's Jeff and the proof that we eat very well on these trips! Ha! We share our meals, with one couple responsible for dinner each night. Breakfast and lunch we pool resources. It's always a feast.
Sunday night Dennis and I made chicken fajita's, refried beans and Watergate salad. Monday night we had pulled pork sandwiches, watermelon and grape salad and chips. Tuesday night was a baked potato bar with leftovers from the other nights. Baked potatoes in the crockpot are a great way to do it on a hot day.
Well, I hope you've enjoyed our camping adventure. Admittedly, I sat inside crocheting on a baby blanket or reading while the others were out on these grand adventures. Between my back and the heat, I can't participate in them, but we have plenty of fun at the campground too. We laugh, we eat, we talk, we joke around and play games. Good friends, good times and a love for God among us that is always the basic foundation of all that we do.
We have our next trip planned for October after we return from Spokane. Needless to say, it should be cooler and we'll even be able to make s'mores on the campfire. Yum.
Blessings and love,
Betsy
Make Me A Blessing [Lyrics]
by George Stark Schuler and Ira Bishop Wilson
Verse 1
Out in the highways and byways of life
Many are weary and sad
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife
Making the sorrowing glad
Chorus 1
Make me a blessing make me a blessing
Out of my life may Jesus shine
Make me a blessing O Savior I pray
Make me a blessing to someone today
Verse 2
Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love
Tell of His pow'r to forgive
Others will trust Him if only you prove
True ev’ry moment you live
Verse 3
Give as 'twas given to you in your need
Love as the Master loved you
Be to the helpless a helper indeed
Unto your mission be true
Sorry you were stuck in the camper. Heat and bad backs are no fun. I guess we have to make our own fun!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip! I would be in the ac in the camper, too. I cannot take this humidity and these temperatures. I was out today for several hours and it is only (only?) 82. I am a limb dishrag and was starting to feel dizzy. There was plenty of fellowship without going out in this. I do admire the spirit and fortitude of those who did participate in the outdoor activities. It looked like they had fun! And the food is FABULOUS! I think I would like camping there in October much better!!!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time at home and safe travels to your son's family and your friends in Spokane!
I was thinking about you every time I turned on the Weather Channel and saw that heat. I can't move when it's hot so I'd have been right there with you knitting in the AC. Bike riding? Kayaking? Crazy talk.
ReplyDeleteI haven't thought of making baked potatoes in my crockpot since the 3 years I went without a kitchen. I remember being surprised at how good they were. I'll have to give that a try again. Beats heating up the kitchen with the oven.
Wow, it sounds like a lot of fun, but I would probably be happy to stay in the AC a lot too, when it is that hot it kind of takes the joy out of being outside so much.But it sounds like you had plenty of fun anyway. I love the idea of being in a group of friends like that, and sharing meals outdoors...what fun!! I am so happy for you to have that kind of fellowship, even if it was so hot! Thank you for sharing with us. I was beginning to wonder where you were!!! Glad you are home safe for now, and I hope it will be cooler for your next trip!
ReplyDeleteWe are having way too much hot weather. I'm ready for fall. I don't think I could hike in those temperatures. It sounds like you had some joyous fellowship. And you had my favorite meal I noticed....Bacon!😁
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Love the camping photos. We have been taking our bicycles out to ride on trails, but we do not have any friends (literally) who would ride bikes or hike trails with us. We just enjoy it by ourselves for now, but we do need to buy bicycle helmets soon. Maybe bike locks too, as we found walking trails, but we will ride bikes to get to those trails too. Hugs and blessings.
ReplyDeleteWhat a grand adventure! You will be able to join in more in October! The lily pad pics reminded me of the Monet paintings!
ReplyDeleteYou make it all sound so inviting. I'm glad you had a good time. Me, I wouldn't have left air conditioning during that heat for any reason!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your weekend! Laura
Great pictures of everyone having a great time! I think it was so great the way the campers were in a square with a central area in the middle. Maybe your trip to Montana and Washington will have cooler temps!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a great time. I sure wouldn't mind a bit of kayaking!
ReplyDeleteThat heat though. I can't take the heat like I used to. So, I'd be in with you knitting while you crochet.
It sounds like such a wonderful camping trip with friends in such a great location too. It's too bad it was so very HOT. I can't imagine hiking and biking in that heat.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it's nice to be home again.
Hi Betsy, I loved seeing all the photos from your hot camping adventure. wow....I don't like the heat either. But it sounds like you and your friends all had a great time in spite of the heat and humidity. I love those waterlilies too. so pretty. Hope you will be able to share some pics when you head out to Montana and Washington. You sure are adventurers! God bless you both and take good care.
ReplyDeleteSuch an incredibly wonderful camping trip! It is so fun to camp with other like minded believers, and to have such a good time together doing meals and activities. Goodness that heat sounds awful. I'm sure you've heard of the fires in Spokane, just unbelievable. Wondering how your friends are there, the fires are still not contained. Our hearts are broken for the losses so many are facing! It feels so unreal. Praying always for you dear friend!
ReplyDelete