My heart is breaking for all of our friends and our church family in Spokane. There are three wildfires that have merged and are now burning in the city. As most of you know, we lived in Spokane for almost 30 years, moving back to Omaha to take care of Dennis's Mom who had Alzheimer's. We will always consider Spokane home though, and our friends there are like family, since we had no family living close.
This is a photo of the house we had built in 2002 with our sweet Chloe standing in the front. We loved this house and planned to retire there. We sold in it 2020. Well, this house is now in the "Get Ready to Evacuate" zone. Many of our friends have had to evacuate because the fire has either already burned their homes or is heading toward them. That's the "Get Out Now" Level 3 zone. Our old house is in Level 2. 
It would be so sad to go out there next month and see this house gone. It's already going to be tough seeing all of the damage.
Flames burning near a friend of ours home. They still don't know if their home is okay or not.
This is the perspective from the Gonzaga University campus. Terrifying. This photo is fairly close the to first home we lived in when we moved to Spokane.
According to the officials, this is the number one priority fire in the nation today, although there are hundreds of fires burning around the country. There are more fires in Washington and Oregon than anywhere else in the country. They have not had a drop of rain in Spokane during the entire month of July. We know over 700 homes have burned and most likely many more.
Please pray for everyone in the path of the fires. Although we got used to having wildfires around us every year when we lived there, I never, ever thought one would be inside of the town and literally burning much of the northwest part of the city to the ground and it's still spreading. The fire began in Riverside State Park on Saturday morning and spread very quickly.
Please Pray For Spokane!
Betsy
I have been hearing about the fires all day. My heart goes out to everyone in Spokane. I pray all your friends are safe and their homes are spared. I pray the homeless can find new homes. It is just so awfully sad.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, so sorry to hear about what is happening back in your old home of Spokane. Will surely be praying for everybody there and that they won't lose their homes. Those pictures are frightening for sure. God bless them all and keep them safe.
ReplyDeleteI read about the fires in Spokane, so sad. Prayers for Spokane and all your friends.
ReplyDeleteOne son and family live in Mead and are a mile from one of the evacuation zones. So far it looks like the fire is moving away from them, but they have friends and many in their church that have had to evacuate.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of this. Will keep them in our prayers. I have not watched the news in a while, so I was very unaware.
ReplyDeleteHow terrible for everyone in the path of these fires and how heartbreaking for you to watch the destruction of your beloved home. I remember your move very well. Chloe, the camper adventure. I enjoyed reading about what it took to get you to Omaha. I’m glad you’re safe but sorry to hear about the friends you left behind.
ReplyDeleteThat is just awful. I wish for your friends to be safe and their homes spared from the fire.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like the whole country is having one horrible disaster or another. This has been a wicked summer.
https://1justd2me.blogspot.com Dee
This is so sad. Prayers for all in harm's way. Your home there is so nice, hope it's not lost to the fires.
ReplyDeleteWhen I heard about Spokane, I wondered if any of your family or friends had been affected. It's heartbreaking. Sending lots of good juju that way. Hope they can limit the damage and mother nature can step in with some rain to help out!
ReplyDeleteOh no, Betsy. I am so sorry to hear about this horrific wildfire near your friends in your former hometown. I will definitely be praying for them and for all who are in the path of that destruction. yes, it will be hard to go there to visit and see the damage and disaster that a fire will leave behind. Praying for all of you. Praying for rain too! We are getting more rain this week, hopefully, but still not enough to fill our pond or even put a puddle in it. It's just been such a dry summer (year). May God be with your friends and community that you love so much.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to all those affected by the fires 😔
ReplyDeleteI've been watching the Spokane fire reports and it is terrible. We have had many fires in our county this summer but thank goodness not close to our home. The air quality is terrible. I mowed the lawn yesterday and forgot to wear a mask, I didn't notice the effect until in the middle of the night when my throat just felt like it was burning, dry and scratchy with a dry cough. I knew better. Why is it always easy to tell our loved ones how to take care of themselves and yet not take care of ourselves. Praying for all the fires and the people that they're affecting. God bless you dear friend.
ReplyDeleteWe've been watching the fire alerts -- So hard to see them on tv. Take care...
ReplyDeleteBetsy, it is sad that there are so many fires in Spokane, WA. Good memories when you were there and Phil and I visited you and Dennis some years ago. I called my sister Kerri last week about fires where she lives at but no smoke in that area. She did connect with her friend who lives close to Spokane and found out her friend was away from the fire as it was fuller away. We've been having a lot smoke in our areas in Woodburn as there are one in Prineville east of us. It seems to be better this afternoon, and it stays away!! I like photo of your old house and hopefully it's still there and does anyone able to be there in need especially with people to get away from the fire? Have a good and blessed day, my friend!!!
ReplyDelete