Saturday, November 17, 2018

Super Sunny Saturday!

Happy Saturday to you all. It’s a beautiful day here today.  In the 40’s and not a cloud in the sky.  We are enjoying it.  So far not a stitch has been knit, but that’s okay.

We had breakfast at Shari’s restaurant with Paul and Lori.  They are our camping neighbors at the lake and friends for over 25 years.  Then it was off to the store to get some information about our woodstove.  We then washed and vacuumed my car.  I took Chloe to the vet last week and she’s losing her summer coat and hair is falling out in clumps, so it definitely needed vacuuming.   After a long, long phone “chat” with my sister I thought I should quickly talk to you all before we leave for a surprise 50th birthday party for our minister.  I’m not used to these busy days.

I did make some progress on Brad’s socks last night.  Both cuffs are done and In the process of turning the heel on the first one.

I finished another hat for Teresa.  She loves the one I gave her this week and sent me a picture of herself in it this morning.  It matches her coat perfectly.  I would show you the picture but I don’t have her permission to post the photo.  Here is the blue one I’ll give her tomorrow.  It’s the second one exactly like this that I’ve made this week so it probably looks familiar.

Have any of you heard of the wool dryer balls that you use instead of dryer sheets?  Mandy made her own from wool yarn and loves them.  I had ordered the three white ones that you see from Norwex, but they are REALLY pricey.  It was one of those party things where I felt obligated to buy something.  Well, they took over four weeks to arrive and I got impatient, so I made four of my own.  Oh my goodness!  I love them.  I wish I had done this years ago.  They cut down on drying time significantly, thus using less energy and is a big money saver.  It’s supposed to be better for your clothes by putting less chemicals on your clothing.  Those dryer sheets also coat the dryer and lint screen with a waxy buildup.  I didn’t realize how much until I cleaned the inside of my dryer.

They are super simple to make.  Directions are everywhere on Utube, just search for wool dryer balls.  Basically you tightly wind balls from 100% wool yarn to about tennis ball size and then wash them in VERY hot water and dry on high heat for several loads of jeans or towels.  That felts them and makes them perfect for use as dryer balls.  They are easier on your clothes than the plastic balls and you can add a few drops of essential oil for scent if so desired.

Okay, gotta run.  Is this what retirement will be like when Hubby is home all day?  I’m used to sitting and knitting part of the day, but he’s all go, go, go! :-)

“Let is hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful.” Hebrews 10:23

Blessings,
Betsy

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world. The Mister always has ants in his pants and it drives me up a wall. The only time I can get anything done is either in the middle of the night of when there is football on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Dennis will get interested in making home made bread and cooking when he retires. That's what Dayle did and I loved the results! Brad's socks are going to be quite beautiful when done. Have you made any for your grandkids of Brad's? Enjoy your Sunday. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice today here too. I wore a hooded sweatshirt with a t-shirt underneath. It was good all day even when it got chilly late afternoon while putting groceries in my car. I think Phil stay home when he decides to retire. More time to go places though if we have the money. Hope you enjoyed your celebration you went to. Hugs and a blessed Sunday to you and Dennis. I'm helping Phil teach the 4-5 grade boys. They can be a handful. 😬

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know we took early retirement and can often be heard saying "how did we ever have time to go to work?" We have slowed down a little lately but we certainly fill our days. Love those socks, you are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those socks for Brad are awesome! That color is great. You have been a 'busy bee'. I think we're going to have a rough winter because Nitty is getting a winter coat in that is one of the thickest I've ever seen on her. She's starting to look like a bear! LOL!
    Is there a pattern for that hat. It is so cute! I had those dryer balls on my YOP list for this year but haven't gotten around to making them. I don't have that much scrap wool yarn. I may have to order some as I think they would make great gifts. How many do you use in your drier for one load?
    Have fun at the party! Moving is good for you....remember...if you don't use it you lose it! LOL! Sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so glad you reminded me about the wool dryer balls! I heard about them in the past, and I always intended to make them and forgot. It doesn't sound too difficult ~ even for me! Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful Lord's Day, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a set of dryer balls and use them frequently. Before I purchased them, I used tennis balls for years - oh my, were they noisy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your socks and hat look wonderful!!!! Thanks for all the dryer ball information. We may try to make some. Fireman likes to stay very busy in retirement. He's taken up some woodworking and of course the barn takes up a lot of our time. It is a good adjustment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. The hat looks great. Hope your day is filled with much joy sweet friend. Blessings always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice hat! Thanks for the reminder about the dryer balls:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see you are busy and enjoying life. It probably will slow down and you can catch your breath! Enjoy! Nancy

    ReplyDelete