Friday, September 14, 2018

Fall has arrived!

What's that you say?  Not officially?  Well, maybe not officially, but here in Spokane within the past two weeks we've gone from temperatures in the  90's to highs in the 60's for the past week.  Lows are in the 30's and 40's.  I would say that's fall.  The good news is that it has seemed to rid us of most of the smoke from the past couple of months.  There are still fires burning though and that is not good.

First of all, I want to thank you all for your sweet comments about my migraine and about Alex.  He is fine.  He was woken up during the night and lost a bit of glassware, but no real problems where he lives.  Unfortunately, earthquakes are so commonplace for him that he didn't even think to call to reassure us.  My headache is somewhat better.  Now I'm just having the residual headache that lingers for awhile, but not nearly as bad as the first few days.  Thank you all again.  I am so blessed to have all of you as my friends and that you truly care.

On the knitting front I have been working non-stop on the zick-zack scarf with one small pair of mittens thrown in the mix.  The scarf is now 33 inches long as of this morning.  The size 2 needles and sock yarn are making it a slow knit, but I am enjoying it.  I realize that I am a production knitter, not a process knitter and this is forcing me to slow down and enjoy each stitch and the definition of each row.  Since all shades of purple and lavender are my favorite colors, this scarf is tempting me to keep it, but it is destined to be a Christmas gift.
 I decorated for fall yesterday and today.  It may seem like a lot of decorations and kind of "busy" but I do like it.  I found a box of decorations today that I haven't seen for a couple of years and I thought had been lost or given away.  So I have even more fall stuff.  :-)  I like fall and the cooler temperatures, just not the winter that follows. (No suprise to any of you is it?)
This is the console cabinet under the TV.  See the ugly wires?  I got all of my decorations that you see in these pictures either on sale somewhere or at the Dollar Store. I rarely pay full price for any decor items.  I lOvE the dollar store.  It's amazing the things you get there.  Ours now has fresh bread on Tuesday and Thursdays.  It's the same breads you get at the grocery store and it ISN'T day old bread!  They stop on their route to deliver to the grocery stores.  I get sandwich thins for $1.00.  They are $2.98 at the store.  They also have Orowheat Rye, english muffins, whole wheat and white Sara Lee bread.  All kinds of breads.  All fresh and all for $1.00!  You have to know when it's delivered and be there waiting because everyone is waiting for them and I tell you what, it's like a bunch of locusts!  The delivery guy loads the carts and they're empty in less than 5 minutes, but everyone is very nice about it.  No pushing or shoving at all.
  
 This is on the kitchen island.  I have a crocheted leaf garland that will replace the triangle bunting soon.  All of these were from the Dollar Store over the past several years.
 This is the middle of the Hoosier Cabinet.  The sign and flowers are from the Dollar Store this year.  I have had the big pumpkin for years.  I think at least 20 years!  All of the pinecones that you see in these photos are from the lake.  I use them as fire starters in the fireplace in the winter, but meanwhile they make good decorations.
 I have had this "Welcome" sign for over 30 years, it came from Omaha with us when we moved.  Isn't this little guy cute?
 This sign and pumpkins were from the Dollar Store a couple of years ago.  I love this picture of Chloe.  Sorry about the glare.
 These leaves and flowers were from the D.S. too.  The photo is from our 25th anniversary and the heart photo frame is from Neal & Jenny for our 40th this year.  The picture was taken in Washington D.C. at the Washington Monument a couple of years ago while we were visiting Mandy and Brad.  It says "Dennis and Betsy - 40 years of love"  Isn't that nice?  It spins around and I'm going to put a wedding photo on the other side.
 A full photo of the Hoosier.
 I still love these little glass bottles and I'm so glad I persevered and finally bought them.  Aren't the little plaid pumpkins cute?  I got them from Mandy.
 The corner shelf by the front door.  Too busy?  Oh well, I like it.  I've had the basket on top for years.
 A corner in the hall bath.  Flowers again are from the D.S.
 You're probably all sick of fall decorations aren't you?  Well here is a cutie for you.  Piper sent me a picture modeling her Halloween costume.  She's going to be a unicorn!  Isn't she the cutest unicorn you've ever seen?
And guess what?  We're heading to Omaha again so I'll get to see this little girl soon!   Not in time for her birthday, but she won't be home then anyway, because the three of them are heading to Germany for a couple of weeks.  They come home on Piper's birthday and we're driving to visit the next week.  We'll be driving during October, through the mountains of Idaho and Montana.  We're really hoping to NOT encounter any snow as we drive, but we're taking the 4-wheel drive truck instead of my car, just in case.  I'm also hoping to sleep in the truck overnight if it's not too cold.  That way it will be an adventure and more of a vacation to me.  I've checked and the KOA camp grounds are open in Montana and South Dakota until the end of October.  We can have nice hot showers in the mornings.  Sounds like fun to me...if it doesn't snow or get too cold.  If so, I'll settle for a hotel, but I would rather camp!  Dennis is worried about my back, but I would like to give it a try.  I miss those kinds of trips with an air mattress in the back of the truck.

And Mandy says they will have Piper's birthday party while we're there so we won't miss it!  Yay!  I'm looking forward to seeing my sister and all of our family again.  More and more, I'm finding that I miss family and we're tentatively making plans to move back to Nebraska or Iowa after Dennis retires.  We will dearly miss our mountains, but the pull of family is real.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  We're heading to the lake and will try to enjoy one of our last weekends there for this year.  We have to be closed up completely by October 1, so we will start bringing things home this week.  Dennis will start making trips with his truck, bringing home the patio table, chairs, cushions, grill, lawn mower, etc.  We'll take the roof off of the gazebo.  I'll bring home extra food that we won't use up during the next few weeks.  It's like moving twice a year in the spring and the fall.  I'll try to take before and after photos when we start closing up so you can see the difference.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Blessings,
Betsy


18 comments:

  1. Your decorations are BEAUTIFUL!!! Now, could you send ME some of your cool fall weather. It's still pretty warm and way too humid right now.

    Miss Piper ...... she could not be any cuter and will be the most adorable unicorn of all time!

    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy, what a fun post.. love all your fall decor! I have to request that my DIL bring down my bin of pumpkins and such as they are in the new storage areas in the newly refinished attic. Only she knows where everything is.. LOL! Piper looks adorable as always and I'm happy you get to go see them again soon. Just be careful driving through the mountains that time of year! ((hugs)), Teresa :-) Oh.. I love your zick zack scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your fall decor is pretty and I'm thankful I got to see all the places you put them in real life a few months ago! I need to bring out the pinecones I brought home from Loon lake too. Good memories! KOAs are fun to stay at. I've slept in their yurts and those are cozy. Just need to walk to bathroom. Oh well ...hope that trip goes well for you and Dennis! Chloe still doing ok? Hugs and blessings my friend! ×Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall? I am so jealous. It's still so hot and humid here and Florence with all that moisture isn't helping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the migraine is a little better and that Alex is OK. Your Autumn decor is beautiful, such a wonderful collection. I was thrilled for you that you will be travelling to see the beautiful Miss Piper, sounds like quite the adventure camping in the truck. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thankful Alex is ok, and I will keep praying for your head ache sweet friend. Oh the Fall decorations are so pretty, I always love the way you decorate your house for each season. Yay, on getting to visit your family and celebrating Little Miss P's birthday when she gets back. Ohhh the scarf is so pretty....I am a lover of purple just like you, so I totally get why you'd like to hang onto it. :) I wish you a lovely day filled with many blessings sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that your son was ok and that your headache didn’t get worse.
    I love all of your fall decorations- the DS is one of my favorite stores.
    I agree, family becomes more and more important the longer we live.
    That trip sounds like fun! I hope there’s no snow, and you’re able to cano out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really decorate! I have not begun yet, maybe soon. I like the dollar store, I don't feel like I have to keep stuff forever then! Good for you going to Nebraska to see that Unicorn! You should have great Fall scenery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gave most of my seasonal decorations away, but saved some Christmas decorations. I do hang seasonal flags outside my door. The Dollar Store is a wonderful place to shop: no bread at any that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Betsy praying for you.. praise re answered prayer..
    And arrived in US last night after 20+ hours trip from Nth Wales via Frankfurt mercy indeed.
    A busy day up at 6:20am for last leg to sister in Lord at 2:30 this arvo two short haul flights .here till 24th then gead home by 30th. Love in Lord may He keep us all safe in hollow of His hand. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thanking God with you for Alex’s safety and that you are feeling better! Autumnal weather patterns and changing foliage colors are more noticeable here as well. “Well done!” for all your amazing Zico Zack stitches! In answer to your question, I am looking for a new “nest” in the Happy Valley/Damascus/East Gresham area. We meet with the realtor this morning to access how we can best find the new owner for this house since we have not had an offer yet. Meanwhile we are grateful to live here and have picked and shared our best crop of plums to date. So good to catch up with your news and am excited about your travel and retirement plans! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  12. You house is so lovely. It makes me with I had some fall decorations. Instead we have a new kitchen floor and a new roof and siding on one side of the house.
    Piper looks so cute as a unicorn. I hope she has fun.
    HUGS my dear friend. I hope the headache resolves itself soon. As a migraine sufferer, I have been blessed that the dr. has found a medication to nip it in the bud, if I catch it right away. I will be praying for you.
    again HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I just loved seeing all of your beautiful fall decorations! I surely don't think it is too busy...it is so refreshing to see it all. I think my favorites (and it was hard to pick!) was the corner shelf by your front door and your hall bathroom photo. I love how you have the doily under the pitcher of flowers! But, all of it is just so pretty! I am SO thankful your migraine has let up and truly hope the residual pain is gone SOON. SO very thankful Alex is safe, too, and that little Miss Piper surely is the cutest unicorn I ever did see! I just love your photo gift from your friend. How exciting that you will get to celebrate with little Piper for her birthday! May the Lord keep you healthy and safe in your travels and make every moment very precious for all of you! Sending much love and many hugs to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Betsy, Isn't it fun to have a change of decorations to put up! I have some fall ones out also. Glad you read that your smoke has cleared up. Little Piper would look cute in anything! Have a nice Sunday. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exciting news about your trip to see Piper and the crew. Also good to hear Alex is safe. Fall is far away from Florida. There are no trees turning or cooler temps, I am over it! Have a great week Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Changing our homes with the seasons is just fun. I think it's a great way to deep clean each season, too :) Great to hear that Alex is safe and that you are off to visit Piper and family. I woke up this morning and went outside around 8:00 and burrrrrrrr it is so chilly out. Time for sweatshirts, sweaters and jackets :) I think we just might have an early winter.
    We just returned yesterday afternoon from a few days up at Steamboat Rock State Park. Have you camped there? It was beautiful.
    Have a sweet week.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. No, not at all tired of seeing all your wonderful fall decorations! It's hot here today (in Virginia), so thinking of fall makes me smile. Piper's costume is too cute! Thanks for sharing. Glad I stumbled upon your blog!

    ReplyDelete